EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » From Cairo to Jordan?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: From Cairo to Jordan?
alark
Member # 4294

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hullo everyone,

I've been reading the posts for a while now and enjoying every minute of it . Seen the best advice posted, and even a few Egyptsearch.com "smackdowns" going on. All entertaining.

Anyway, I will be going to Egypt for 4 months and plan to study Islam, ride camels, eat molokhia (cause a friend raved about it), and well, just overall be a tourist trying to fit into the background.

I was wondering though since I'm close to so many countries that it would be a great opportunity to travel outside of Egypt as well. But I was wondering which country?

Right now, I'm torn, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, or Morocco?

This is sort of like playing rock, paper, scissors with my travel plans .

I was hoping anyone could give me some insight as to which country would be the easiest to access from Egypt (ie train, plane, boat). The country that would probably be the least expensive to visit. And anything else, pros or cons which could act as a tie-breaker.

Thanks so much for reading

Posts: 29 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Jordon is by far the easiest and probably least expensive. You can get there by land if you want, or on the ferry from Nuweiba. If you are here for 4 months you will probably meet up with people that can be talked into going to Petra with you, or some such trip pretty easily.

Lebanon is supposed to be very cheap to fly to as well. It would be my second choice. I think Morocco and Syria are much more expensive to get to...but I could be wrong.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elkadi80
Member # 4530

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for elkadi80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you can Start with Jordan.
better way is to use a Ferry from Nuwiba.
its better to use the speed Ferry

there is a lot you can do in Jordan. from jordon you can go to Syria and Lebanon.

By the way,Syria is more Cheaper than Lebanon.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too am interested in how to get to Jordan - ease of travel there etc. Costs etc. Although I live in Luxor (which I love) I have always had a burning desire to go to Petra. Luxor - Petra? The cheap and cheerful way. Any advice appreciated.
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alark
Member # 4294

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Luxorlover,

According to my handydandy Lonely Planet guide to Egypt:

There are 3 ferries between Nuweiba on Egypt's Sinai coast, and Aqaba, the southernmost point in Jordan.

The fastest is the Bridge, takes 1 hr, $45 US for adults. Passengers only.

There's the Hoda and St. Katherine, 3-4 hours. Carries cars. 32$ foot passengers 150$ for cars. But if you have a car it could take 4 hours to get through customs.

Tickets for slower boats issued by Damanhour Shipping beside the port's entry. Tix must be paid in US, and visas can be obtained by most nationalities (however, check if you are not EU, US, CA, AU, or NZ citizen.

Visas for those arriving in Jordan are issued at the port and Jordanian passport officials can issue bisas on the boat.

Once you're on Jordanian soil though...LOL I have no clue how to get to Petra. Maybe someone else does? Or can recommend a good site or tour agent.

Posts: 29 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alark:

Once you're on Jordanian soil though...LOL I have no clue how to get to Petra. Maybe someone else does? Or can recommend a good site or tour agent.

Alark, I think you've covered the hard part. I'm sure when you get to Jordon, getting to Petra is a NO BRAINER. It is the main reason most people are taking those ferries so there must be zillions of touts on that end sitting there waiting to take you to Petra. I would bet my last dollar on it.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elkadi80
Member # 4530

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for elkadi80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everybody,
I think the bridge was for U$22, you don't have to have Visa B4 go'n, there is officers on board for that for free. but you have to pay departure fees when you r leavin jordan its 5 jordenian Dinars "around 50 EGP".
from Aqaba port to Petra you can take a Taxi for 20 Dinars "200 LE". or you can take a Taxi to down town for 2 Dinras "1 dinars =10 LE". and there is a bus to Petra for .25 Dinars.

If you don't mind can you send me when you r gonna do it to Join?
Ciao

[This message has been edited by elkadi80 (edited 23 June 2004).]

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would get the Visa while in Cairo though. To avoid the line ups

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 23 June 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many thanks everyone. I don't have a car in Egypt (well I did have but that is another story) So it will be public transport all the way. Information about taxis etc was priceless.

Not sure when I am doing it yet though - far too hot at the moment.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elkadi80
Member # 4530

Rate Member
Holla all,
Monica don't worry about the visa, u really don't need.
and I guess Lux. thats right to wait for a while for many reasons. 1st is the high temp, 2nd its a high season for Arab an Egytian who lives in the gulf, they all comming now to egypt. so you may stay in the port a couple of days to find a place.

I think it will be gr8 after sept.
forgot to tell you that th ferry was for U$22 for one way trip not a round trip.

Ciao

[This message has been edited by elkadi80 (edited 24 June 2004).]

annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI. I would advice Syria and Jordan. Forget about Lebanon, its very very expensive. 1000 Lbn pounds (lira) is worth a little less than 1$ US and pretty much everything would be more expensive than in the US, let alone Egypt!! in other words (forgive my frenchness!) exchange rate is almost the same but buying power is much less.
Last summer I was in Lebanon for 3 weeks and it wasnt very exciting. I enjoyed myself much more in 7 days in Egt than the whole time in Lbn. Ill never go back there again. I dont want to sound pessimistic but I wasnt impressed and i wouldnt advise anybody to go there on a budget.

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com