EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Luxor to Cairo?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Luxor to Cairo?
YorkshireSue
Member # 4508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for YorkshireSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys,

I'm going to Luxor on Monday, its our first visit and I was wondering how much it costs to visit Cairo for the day? I know it can be expensive to book it thru the rep, but what does 'expensive' mean?? I have NO clue whatsoever how much these things cost!

Any help would really be appreciated, and any other advice would be very very welcome! I'm a complete beginner!!

Thanks in advance,

Sue

Posts: 6 | From: south yorkshire, england | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sue
You are probably looking in the region of £160+ for a day trip through your rep. This will include all your transport in Cairo, a full sightseeing tour and usually meals are provided too. Its actually not a bad deal, the flights alone can cost almost that if you booked it yourself with Egyptair, and its a lot to do Cairo in a day under your own steam.
Be prepared for an early start though, and a long and very tiring day, but a great day nevertheless!
An alternative is to take the overnight sleeper train and use taxis to get around Cairo. There are plenty on this board who can advise how to take care of the Cairo end... and Debbie is a very good guide if you need her services....... lol, cant remember her website, but it is Casual Cairo Detours.... or yell loudly and she will answer your call here!

Enjoy Luxor!

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egy_prince
Member # 2853

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egy_prince     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sue, check this website, it may help u.
www.waleed.sitestogo.biz

[This message has been edited by egy_prince (edited 10 June 2004).]

Posts: 471 | From: egypt | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yvonne
Member # 4112

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yvonne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To go by Train is easy and cheap. The Station in Luxor will sell you a first class return ticket for LE120. Their are two trains, one at 9 p.m. which gets in about 6.30. The other is at 11.00 and gets you in at 9 a.m. If you want the name and number of an excellent taxi driver let me know.

Good luck.
Yvonne.

quote:
Originally posted by YorkshireSue:
Hi guys,

I'm going to Luxor on Monday, its our first visit and I was wondering how much it costs to visit Cairo for the day? I know it can be expensive to book it thru the rep, but what does 'expensive' mean?? I have NO clue whatsoever how much these things cost!

Any help would really be appreciated, and any other advice would be very very welcome! I'm a complete beginner!!

Thanks in advance,

Sue

Posts: 13 | From: Egypt | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YorkshireSue
Member # 4508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for YorkshireSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to you guys who have replied, its been a great help and given us a number of options!

We're staying at the Hilton in Luxor - doea anybody know anything about the hotel? It looks nice in the brochure (but don't they always??) I ws just wondering what was round and about for us to do, how close we were to the Valley of the Kings etc.

Knowledge is power, so they say!

Thanks everyone!

Posts: 6 | From: south yorkshire, england | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i stayed there about 4 yrs ago. worn out at the time. check to see if any of the rooms have recently been refurbished and make sure you're booked in one of them.

somewhat removed from the rest of the hotels, which could be good or bad, depending on what you're looking for.

if you want to do only 1 day in cairo, i recommend you either splurge for the 1 hr flight, or you extend your stay to 2-3 days in cairo and take the train. it's not worth 20 hrs of travel for a 12 hr day, is it?

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a tour for someone staying there and he wasn't that impressed. I hope you have better luck.

It is quite a way by road to the West Bank as the bridge is 9 km from town and the Hilton is out of town the other way. It is only 2 minutes from Karnak Temple. A slighter easier way is to arrange a motor boat and cross the Nile that way, much faster and you can get a taxi the other side easily.
http://www.luxor-westbank.com/karte_e.htm This map might help you a bit although it doesn't show the bridge. If you look where karnak is that is where the hotel is, it is about 15 minute walk to get to the ferry and the bridge is 9km from there.

Hope that helps

PS it also shows where we are if anyone is interested.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing about the Hilton is that there are lots of little min- buses that come outside and go into town for 25 piastras.

As Jane said it is very near Karnak temple and although it is hot there now, the walk into town in the eveing can be pleasant as it is only 3km.

Cairo is too far to go for the day if you travel by train. You would have to fly. If you had a couple of days the night train only costs 74 LE and will get you there at daybreak. If you caught the train back the following night you would have two full days in Cairo and only have to pay for one night in a hotel (although if you are staying at the Hilton then I would think that money is not a problem .

I had a drink at the Hilton a couple of weeks ago and the serice was good and efficient although I do not know what the rooms are like now. Some were refurbished when Luxor was aquiet after 9/11.

Have a loveley holiday and don't fall for the chat-up lines.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YorkshireSue
Member # 4508

Rate Member
Don't worry - me falling for the chat-up lines is not an option, baecause although my partner is a teddy-bear really, he's 6 foot 4 with a skinhead, so I don't think I'll be bothered all that much!!

Thanks for all your advice, I'll bear it in mind. We're thinking maybe of giving Cairo a miss to be honest. I'm sure it'll all fall into place once we're there!!

Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long are you in Luxor for Sue? If you fancy a day out of Luxor, its a nice train ride to Aswan, just 3 hours and if you get an early start you can make a good day of it.
The Hilton is a nice hotel, but it is a bit far out for the West Bank. Do as Akshar suggests and take a motor boat across if you can. Or a gentle wander down to the local ferry and cross the river that way.
It will be hot next week, so you may not want to do to much walking around during the heat of the day. Get an early start to do the Valley of the Kings etc... it will be too hot by noon.

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YorkshireSue
Member # 4508

Rate Member
You guys are fab - thankyou so much!

Sorry to keep firing question after question at you all, but I suppose thats what forums are for right?

I was just wondering how much I'd expect to pay for a beer, or a light lunch, or a 3 course-meal on average?

Oh and Shareen, we're there for two weeks. We want to do very little actually, lots of leisurely swimming & sunbathing, maybe the odd day sightseeing! Please tell me I'm going to the right place!!

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cost of a beer depends largely on where you want to drink it. A beer in the Etap costs at least 15 LE upwards whereas at the Wena Gardens it costs 7 LE for the same beer. A light lunch can cost you anything between 3 LE (Kosheri) and 10 LE (omlette and chips). A 3 course meal will cost you around 20 - 30 LE at most of the restaurants in and around the souk. If you want an excellent steak you can't beat Maxime's (just beyond the Isis hotel). There, a 3 course meal with superb (for Luxor)service will cost you about 50 LE per head.

On the West Bank the Tutankhamun restaurant does an excellent meal for around 25 LE and you get to sit on the roof and look across the river at Luxor.

Two weeks in Luxor if you love diversity and egyptology is wonderful - if you get bored easily though you could become rock happy. At least you have options. The heat will curtail some of your daytime activities but take advantage of it - sleep during the day and live like a vampire - only coming out at night to enjoy life.

ig you get up early to miss the heat you can take in all the wonders that Luxor has to offer and sleep away the rest of the day beside the pool.

Bring lots of mozzie repellant with you if you are going to spend time on the river the little buggers are voracious and really good repellant can sometimes be hard to find.

Have a lovely holiday.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Sue
Luxorlover is spot on with her recommendations.. I would also add a beer at the Metropolitan on the Corniche is around 7LE, and its a nice place to sit and watch the world go by. And I love Tutankhamuns.... try and go there for a meal. If you want something a bit more special, La Mama's at the Sheraton is an excellent Italian restaurant. But do try all the local food, you will enjoy it. The Hilton has a nice pool by the river, so if you are wanting to be lazy, you are in a good place.
Above all, dont be scared at trying anything... just go for it and have fun!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com