EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Different Groups In Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Different Groups In Egypt
alark
Member # 4294

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried looking through the forum to see if this was addressed, but couldn't find anything. Was just wondering what the difference is between:

Cairenes, saeedies, balady, bedouin, and other groups that have been mentioned.

I'm not interested in better/worse arguments, just more interested in the cultural make-up of Egypt.

Posts: 29 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Balady is a term that most Egyptians used during the occupation of various people like Turks,French,British or others to identify themselves. Today balady means country or rural people who move into the city from the countryside of Middle,Upper,or Lower Egyptian Delta. Sometimes more afluent might take the comment as an insult.

Sa3eadi are people living south of Cairo to the Egyptian border of Aswan. Most are known for their temper,blood freuds,and traditional attitude. Like the Balady most live in rural areas but unlike the Balady are sometimes the but of many jokes. Very traditional people that respect family honor. Many customs they pratice in terms of weddings,funerals,or some religious aspects are like that of the ancient Egyptians. The balady are also similar in this reguard.

Bedouin: Arab tribes that live from the Sinai to parts of Maadi and Assuit in Middle Egypt. Most of these bedouin tribes are the Hawara, Bani Hilal,or others have slowly trickled in from the Arabian peninsula during the Middle Ages. During the Middle Ages many bedouins invaded Egypt like the Beni Hilal and Beni Sulaim. Some others like the Hawara were settled there by the Mamelukes but chose to live seperately from the Fellahin. Bedouins have their own comparment in Fellahin villages cammed nags.

Fellahin: This group is mainly comprised of people living in the Delta and Upper Egypt in Minya or Suhaj. Most of the modern Egyptian population come from these rural Fellahin,and during the Middle Ages most were rural people that had little contact with those people in the cities. Most have continued to do what their ancestors have done since ancient Egyptian times. Most move into the cities to become Balady or urban rural people. Even when such people move to the city many bring traditions from the rural countryside.

Cairene:typically urban class people with the exception of the balady that lives in Cairo also in certain neighboorhoods. Lots of Sa3eadi,Fellahin,and Balady have moved into the city from the rural country side since the 1950's. This is why the population has almost doubled leaving a croweded population in the city.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MAny thanks. That was an excellent explanation. I did not know what many of those terms referred to.
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alark
Member # 4294

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for alark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much! That was a great answer and really cleared up some of my confusion.

I do have another question which may be a little wierd. But how long does it take for a Balady to be considered a Cairene.

I'm wondering if it's a generational thing ie your parents are considered Balady, but since you grew up in Cairo and walk, talk, act like a Cairene, then you're no longer a Balady.

Or is it more like "You are who you are because of where you came from". So even if you act like a Cairene, you are still considered a Balady?

This may be a dumb question, but all this is just really interesting for me.

Posts: 29 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends which neighboorhood you come from. Even in the city balady people have a distint culture often attached to rural habits. In many places in Cairo you can go to backalleys to see things you would see only in rural areas. The country life goes with the balady reguardless of wheather he/she live in the city.

Another term you might want to look up is Afrangi which is a arabic word meaning Frank/Europeans. In modern useage it denotes an Egyptian who adopts the European lifestyle over the balady[traditional] lifestyle. The term ibn al Balad can also be a self idntification for somebody who is a native Egyptian. ibn al balad is also used in other Arabic speaking countries meaning ''son of the Land''

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alark
Member # 4294

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks ausar. I've read some of your other posts about the people of Egypt and they've always been full of interesting points.

IMO, it sounds like the Balady have such a rich background and inshallah I will be able to meet a few when I go there.

wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what do you call someone who is from Luxor?

No cheeky answers please.

Posts: 266 | From: Scotland, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wise_woman:
what do you call someone who is from Luxor?

No cheeky answers please.

Sa3eedi

Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com