EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Hotels in Cairo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hotels in Cairo
alark
Member # 4294

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

Now that I've posted one question, this is kind of addictive...gotta post more.

I'm torn between two hotels and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I'm on a budget so I'm looking for a slightly inexpensive place to stay, that's clean, and within easy distance of a lot of the tourist attractions.

I was hoping someone could give me some insight on the Longchamps Hotel or Garden City House Hotel. I know about the prices but was wondering if anyone had stayed there and could give me more info on their own experiences.

Posts: 29 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a big fan of the Longchamps. I think they are more expensive though than the Garden City one, aren't they? I know Heba just raised her prices too at the end of May.

But, it is really a nice hotel in a great area. Zamalek is quiet, clean, and green. The hotel is exactly the same. Heba is an Egyptian/German woman and runs the hotel very efficiently. I highly recommend it.

You can see their website at http://hotellongchamps.com/about.htm

And you can read an article that appears in this months EGYPT TODAY magazine about them here http://www.egypttoday.com/arttemplate.asp?ArtID=36&IssueNo=6&IssueYear=04&MagID=ET

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fergysmate
Member # 1937

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fergysmate   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though to be fair, the Garden City House is in a better location for getting around on foot.
Posts: 5 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chrisderfer
Member # 2985

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Chrisderfer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beware! Garden City House Hotel is a brothel.

If you are male, and don't mind getting propositioned for sex by the cleaning ladies, then you will like it...

And if you are female, but don't mind getting harassed by the management and other male guests, then will like it....

Posts: 40 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alark
Member # 4294

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for alark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for all your responses. I do realize the price discrepancy with Longchamps vs Garden City. But those were my two favourite choices. And honestly, Longchamps is competitively priced, and sounds like it's got a great atmosphere as well. Thank you for the link, Debbie.

Hmm, as for Garden City...I guess I will take a pass at it. The only reason why it sounded like a nice place was because of it's proximity to everything. And since I'm a little intimidated by the taxi situation in Cairo...I had planned on doing some site seeing on foot at first.

Thanks everyone .

Posts: 29 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stellaspice
Member # 4567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stellaspice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't comment on the other hotel - but the Garden City Hotel. Well I didn't notice anything about it being a brothel. I stayed there the 1 night before I married in Cairo. It was OK I guess but VERY cheap and cheerful without the cheerful. But for a guy needing just a bed for the night, it's OK - but if you can afford just a few pounds (LE) more, try to go upmarket just a little bit. I would recommend taking your own towels, as the hotel ones are dire; and if you ahve a shower, there will be no hot water left for anything else - like washing any socks - for about 3 hours. The shower is pretty short, too. Hope you have a good time.
Posts: 13 | From: england, bristol | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nefertiti
Member # 1628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nefertiti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chrisderfer:
Beware! Garden City House Hotel is a brothel.

If you are male, and don't mind getting propositioned for sex by the cleaning ladies, then you will like it...

And if you are female, but don't mind getting harassed by the management and other male guests, then will like it....

Maybe you're just too cute

Garden City was fine when i stayed there.... especially if all you need is a bed

Some pretty good "Sites" if you get a room with a nile view too....People hiding in bushes etc Great fun!

Posts: 693 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com