EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Rings

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rings
kiss
Member # 4635

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am planning to buy a ring for my future husband he lives in Egypt and I live in Toronto, Canada. He told me to buy silver ring because of the Relgion with no stones or diamonds and no gold. I was told by some one else it is allowed to have a silver ring with stones on it. Could some one help me to solv this little problem. Thank you.
Posts: 28 | From: Torontol, Ontario Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fridaies
Member # 4446

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fridaies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, stones are allowed for men...but i doubt it very much if it would be appealing for a normal Egyptian man to wear a ring with a stone in it..my suggestion is that u go for a plain silver ring..
quote:
Originally posted by kiss:
I am planning to buy a ring for my future husband he lives in Egypt and I live in Toronto, Canada. He told me to buy silver ring because of the Relgion with no stones or diamonds and no gold. I was told by some one else it is allowed to have a silver ring with stones on it. Could some one help me to solv this little problem. Thank you.

Posts: 63 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buy him the ring he asked you to buy him. That will be your first lesson in learning to follow instructions and learning to learn about his religion from him. This will probably not be the only example of a time when you think you want to do something "better" or "more" for him than he would approve of, and he will need to advise you of what is appropriate. That's all he is trying to do is advise you what is appropriate, for him, so don't try to second guess him. And be thankful he isn't telling you that 18K gold with loads of diamonds is the way to go.

Remember, religion is a very personal thing and just because you can find examples of men that live their lives differently than your fiance that are Muslim, doesn't mean it is right for him.

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 27 June 2004).]

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fridaies
Member # 4446

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fridaies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
on second thoughts, wonot it be more romantic if u go ring shopping together in Cairo ? U may think that the craft is much better in Canada, but believe me u can the best quality in Cairo too if u know the right places.

quote:
Originally posted by fridaies:
yes, stones are allowed for men...but i doubt it very much if it would be appealing for a normal Egyptian man to wear a ring with a stone in it..my suggestion is that u go for a plain silver ring..

Posts: 63 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wedding ring is a silver one, it was what I asked for as well. I said I wanted one like an Egyptian woman would wear and Mahmoud laughted and said an Egypian woman would want gold. Egyptian men however wear silver and a Western style ring would be completely inappropriate.

As Debbie says this is your first lesson in bowing to your husband and his culture. Ther will be many others

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Debbie says this is your first lesson in bowing to your husband and his culture. Ther will be many others

That's for sure but we can all strive for compromise. My own ring is diagonal bands of gold and silver!

OOOhh and can I just say because I keep looking at it my husband has just bought me this beautiful platinum ring with my birthstone mounted on it... it's just sooooo lovely. I was droping hints at how nice it would be to have someting to match the bracelet he bought me for my birthday (the one he forgot !!! )and it just appeared the other night. Think that's my lot for a while now!

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bow to no man
Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fridaies
Member # 4446

Rate Member
till u r married !!
quote:
Originally posted by citizen:
I bow to no man

katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I bow to no man

Totally agree with you

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliGirl
Member # 4409

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Ashkar;
Can you explain to me the reason behind a man wearing silver only. Is this due to religious believes? And women are allowed to wear gold?
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
My wedding ring is a silver one, it was what I asked for as well. I said I wanted one like an Egyptian woman would wear and Mahmoud laughted and said an Egypian woman would want gold. Egyptian men however wear silver and a Western style ring would be completely inappropriate.

Posts: 62 | From: San Diego, Ca USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fridaies
Member # 4446

Rate Member
I understood the question as follows: She wants to buy her man a ring, and he wants it to be a silver one!!..
so, where is the "bowing" in that matter ? Simply, do u buy presents for people that you find nice, or you try to find them things that they themselves find acceptable?..

So the reply should be, yes, buy him whatever type of ring u want, but he wont wear it..good!

quote:
Originally posted by katrina:
Totally agree with you

fridaies
Member # 4446

Rate Member
Allah says: Who has forbidden the adornment of Allah which He has produced for His servants, and the things clean and pure (which he has provided for sustenance) (7:32).

The Sunnah, too, has forbidden some adornments, and this is evident from the Prophet (SAW) who is reported to have met some of his companions, and had a silk garment in one hand, and gold in the other, and said: These are prohibited to Muslim males, lawful to females. The hadeeths in their interpretation are many and well known in both the authentic collections of hadeeths, and others and the like of many examples well known to scholars familiar with hadeeth and Islamic Jurispudence.

kiss
Member # 4635

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand the ring should be fully silver....I have nothing against that, but my question is could it have tiny little stones on it or not. I do have anthor question but why gold is not allowed for men I am new at this and I am just learning.

Thank you.

Posts: 28 | From: Torontol, Ontario Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kiss:
I understand the ring should be fully silver....I have nothing against that, but my question is could it have tiny little stones on it or not. I do have anthor question but why gold is not allowed for men I am new at this and I am just learning.

Thank you.

Does your fiance want "tiny little stones in it or not"? Why not get him the ring he wants? How would you feel if he were second guessing what you wanted in your ring? Some women might be ok with that, but most of us want what we want and nothing with "tiny little stones in it". (That last part was supposed to be funny)

Regarding "bowing" to your man.... I agree with Citizen that we shouldn't have to "bow" to a man, but learning to adapt to a culture and accept customs that are different from our own shouldn't be so far out of the picture, should it? If it is, then we have no business getting married, or even being involved with someone from a country or culture so different from our own.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I understood the question as follows: She wants to buy her man a ring, and he wants it to be a silver one!!..
so, where is the "bowing" in that matter ? Simply, do u buy presents for people that you find nice, or you try to find them things that they themselves find acceptable?..

So the reply should be, yes, buy him whatever type of ring u want, but he wont wear it..good!

"That will be your first lesson in learning to follow instructions"

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by citizen (edited 28 June 2004).]

Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
till u r married !!

happily married for 20 years, thanks, Fri.

don't much like men wearing jewelry either.

fridaies
Member # 4446

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for fridaies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so? i think it takes mutual bowing to survive a 20 years of marriage.
I have still 18.5 years to go
quote:
happily married for 20 years, thanks, Fri.

don't much like men wearing jewelry either.

citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:

That would give you mutual backache...

quote:
so? i think it takes mutual bowing to survive a 20 years of marriage.
I have still 18.5 years to go

kiss
Member # 4635

Rate Member
Thanks Citizen for your adivice I wish you 30 years more of happy marriage.

I know he asked me for silver ring which I understand that is part of the relgion but he never told me if stones are allowed or not. He had told me no gold allowed only silver. I do not want to ask him, because I want to surprise him. Some of his friends tell me yes and some tell me no. That is why I am asking for advice.

Thank you !!!!!

citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
I don't think I gave you much advice, Kiss, just had to comment on the 'bowing' bit.

But if you want my advice it is this:
Get him a plain silver ring. Do normal men wear rings with stones in them, in any country? (Apart from rappers' bling-bling ) Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I'm not in favour of men wearing jewelry, dying their hair or having face lifts. (Nor women, for that matter, though societal pressure can be too strong to resist)

kiss
Member # 4635

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for kiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Citizen now for your advice. I was wondering only. I know different cultures different mind right. I am Italian canadian and I know Italians do were stones and dimonds. I will respect your culture and relgion.

Thank you

kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am with citizen on this one. If he is a pretty average middle class guy then he wouldn't want stones in his ring. Stones are a bit too feminine in our culture I guess. And a wedding ring is always plain in Egypt, even the gold ones that women wear are plain (maybe I am wrong here, but I know no one that wears a non-plain wedding ring, a shabka yes, but not a debla).
Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kiss
Member # 4635

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for kiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks kimo_the maniac and Citizen I will get him the plain one, but I have allot to learn about the culture right. If any one could advice me I will be more than happy. But still no one ans me why men can't wear gold and stones what is the reason behind this. Please ans this.

Thanks

fridaies
Member # 4446

Rate Member
Dear 3aroosa = bride in arabic (and i am sure everyone will call u that as soon as u arrive)...gold and silk are not allowed for muslim men..some people explain that because these are fine materials and should only be worn by women.
kiss
Member # 4635

Rate Member
Thanks fridaies for answering me back. Now I know that gold is meant for ladies. Is the reason why Egypt men don't wear gold and silk, or is there more into this. If you like you could email me at kiss_befor_death@yahoo.com.

Thank you

Nilotic
Member # 4647

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nilotic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by fridaies...
Allah says: Who has forbidden the adornment of Allah which He has produced for His servants, and the things clean and pure (which he has provided for sustenance) (7:32).

Dear fridaies..
being a new member, I've just run into your post dated 28 Jun. 2004. It's worth mentioning that this verse originally disapproves people who forbid using or enjoying what Allah has permitted to be enjoyed or used by people. So I guess it doesn't go with what you're trying to prove...
On the otherhand, an authentic source of rules is the Sunnah, as you mentioned, and I guess it's not forbidden for men to wear gold, however it is aversive.

Thanks for your effort.
Nilotic

Posts: 26 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kiss,

Men can't wear gold because it's only for women to wear, and you can't wear what women have. You can buy him plain silver or titanium, platinum,anything but gold. I myself wear a nice silver one that I paid 50 pounds for it, as it's italian made, you can buy egyptian one.

Posts: 1226 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kiss
Member # 4635

Rate Member
hi Karim!!

Thank u for responding back but why men can't wear gold. I find this strange. Gold is made for men and ladies. And I also see allot of ladies were silver does this mean same thing. There might be something else behind the story.

Rose

elkadi80
Member # 4530

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for elkadi80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salam all of you
One of is Islamic miracles, that it forbids Gold for men, these day they dicovered that gold have a lot bad side affects to men, here you go some Researches
http://www.lef.org/whatshot/2000_06.html
Urine test developed for Alzheimer's marker
Alzheimer's disease effects an estimated twenty million people worldwide. As reported in our What's Hot section for June 22, confirmation of an Alzheimer's disease diagnosis has had to wait until autopsy when the brain can be examined. Even postmortem diagnosis has been shown to be only 82 to 92% reliable. The journal Neurology recently reported a study which confirmed the elevation of a protein, AD7C-neuronal thread protein (NTP), in the cerebrospinal fluid of Alzheimer's disease patients, which was positively associated with the severity of symptoms. Thirteen other studies have documented the significance of this protein in the disease. Based on the observation that Alzheimer's patients who have high levels of the protein have increased gold particle migration, Nymox Corporation has developed a urine test which will soon be available, that measures gold migration when the patient's urine is treated with a gold-containing compound.

and another one
http://www.ar-msj.demon.co.uk/abstract/absv3i3.htm
7C Gold urinary assay of neural thread protein in Alzheimer's disease
Judith Fitzpatrick,(1) Michael Munzar,(2,CA) Maggie Focht,(1) Riza Bibiano(1) and Paul Averback(2)
(1) Serex Inc., Maywood NJ, USA; (2) Nymox Pharmaceutical Corp, 9900 Cavendish Blvd. Suite 306, St. Laurent, Quebec H4M 2V2 Canada Neural thread proteins (NTP) are recently characterized brain proteins, of which the 41 kD AD7C-NTP protein is selectively elevated in brain, cerebrospinal fluid, and urine in Alzheimer's disease (AD). AD7C-NTP is associated with the pathological changes of AD, and the overexpression of the AD7C-NTP gene in transfected cells in culture induces cell death with sprouting. Using a newly developed gold particle monoclonal anti-AD7C-NTP based liquid phase immunoassay (7C Gold), AD7C-NTP was measured in 58 cases of AD and 31 healthy normal controls. The mean 7C Gold migration measurement in the AD group was significantly higher than the control group (p<0.005). 7C Gold migration levels of greater than 125 units were found in 91.4% of AD cases, and in 3.2% of controls. 7C Gold levels above 139 were found in 86.2% of AD cases and 0% of controls. This data further
validates AD7C-NTP as a biochemical marker for AD, and indicates that the 7C Gold test in urine is an accurate method to determine AD7C-NTP levels in AD.

you can find more if u searched on "Gold megration"

Cheers

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com