EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » GOING TO LUXOR ON HOLIDAY (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: GOING TO LUXOR ON HOLIDAY
frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for frances     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI EVERYONE
MYSELF AND MY BOYFRIEND ARE GOING TO LUXOR IN SEPTEMBER AND WE ARE STAYING IN THE OLD WINTER PALACE ANYONE STAYED THERE BEFORE?
ANY ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO AND SEE WOULD BE A GREAT HELP WE ARE GOING TO THE SOUND AND LIGHT SHOW AND A TRIP TO THE WEST BANK WHICH INCLUDES THE VALLEY OF THE KINGS AND QUEENS?
HOW HOT IS WEATHER IN SEPTEMBER AND CAN YOU TELL US ANY NICE RESTAURANTS TO EAT AT PLEASE?
THANKS

Posts: 62 | From: england | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have stayed at the New Winter palace and the Garden Pavillion which are all part of the same building complex. The Old Winter Palace is like being on the Titanic with Vistorian Tea Rooms and a Royal Bar. The ordinary resturant however is a bit of a disappointment being just standard hotel food. I had a meal in the super doper expensive resturant in 2000 and loved it although it did cost the equivalent of £120 GBP. As that was the cost of all the other meals i had in Egypt for the entire 2 weeks put togther is was a tad expensive but I am glad I did it once.

Nice resturants serving real Egyptin food are mainly over here on the West Bank and you can cross over in 10 minutes. Try Tutankamun and El Gezera Hotel Roof top. Abu Hagg in Luxor city is great for barbecued meat and the Sheraton Italian resturant is good and not outrageously expensive.

There is masses more to see on the West Bank like the workmans village and recently opened tombs like Roy and Shu Roy. Email me and I wwill send you some ideas janeREMOVE@THISflatsinluxor.co.uk

September is still hot but not outrageous I would suggest getting out early and sightseeing then sleeping when it is really hot and then down by the pool. Which is lovely at the Winter palace. In the gardens at the back

Have a lovely time

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chelle67
Member # 4442

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chelle67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
like being on the titanic? I take it that is without the massive ice-berg that got in the way,the freezing cold water and celine dion singing her heart out.
Posts: 124 | From: england | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for frances     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol as long as she aint there i am sure i will have a great time
Posts: 62 | From: england | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homeylu
Member # 4430

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homeylu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Ashkar
Nice resturants serving real Egyptin food are mainly over here on the West Bank and you can cross over in 10 minutes. Try Tutankamun and El Gezera Hotel Roof top. Abu Hagg in Luxor city is great for barbecued meat and the Sheraton Italian resturant is good and not outrageously expensive.

What does a typical Egyptian entree consist of? I've eaten Lebanese and Turkish food, which the meat was good, but I hated the veggies. I'm not sure if all mideastern entree are similar?

I also notice you're advertising flats in Luxor, how close are those to the Valley of Kings and Temple of Karnak. Also how far is Aswan? If I wanted to visit the Abu simbel. I know this isn't my thread, but I just want to know.

Posts: 747 | From: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by homeylu:
Originally posted by Ashkar
[b]Nice resturants serving real Egyptin food are mainly over here on the West Bank and you can cross over in 10 minutes. Try Tutankamun and El Gezera Hotel Roof top. Abu Hagg in Luxor city is great for barbecued meat and the Sheraton Italian resturant is good and not outrageously expensive.

What does a typical Egyptian entree consist of? I've eaten Lebanese and Turkish food, which the meat was good, but I hated the veggies. I'm not sure if all mideastern entree are similar?

I also notice you're advertising flats in Luxor, how close are those to the Valley of Kings and Temple of Karnak. Also how far is Aswan? If I wanted to visit the Abu simbel. I know this isn't my thread, but I just want to know.

[/B]

We are 10 minutes from Valley of Kings and the other West Bank sites and by boat to Luxor temple 5 minutes and Karnak 20 minutes.

Aswan and Abu Simble involve an overnight at Aswan. Why not visit my website and email me janeREMOVE@THISflatsinluxor.co.uk

The food is quite variable lots of vegetarian dishes as well as meat dishes. Quite different from Lebanese/Syrian food which I know well. Often it is various meat stews with a variety of spices, stuffed pigeon, rabbit, chicken, duck roast or fried. Stuffed cabbage, a dried bean stew, stuffed vine leaves, various dips and salads.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
hi there
i was just wondering jane if you got the email i sent you asking about other information about luxor its just i havent heard from you cheers!

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by frances:
hi there
i was just wondering jane if you got the email i sent you asking about other information about luxor its just i havent heard from you cheers!

No I didn't, did you REMOVE THIS in my email address. I put that in to stop robots harvesting my email address from these forums and getting even more spam emails. My poor antosapm software is overworkd as it is.

Do try again. janeREMOVE@THISflatsinluxor.co.uk

------------------

frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
WHAT IS THERE TO DO IN LUXOR IN THE EVENING AS WE HAVE GOT THE DAYS MOSTLY SORTED ANY IDEAS WOULD BE WELCOME!
frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
ANYBODY?LOL
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are discos but I doubt that you would want to go to any of them as they are mainly pick up joints. The best thing to do in the evenings is to take a stroll and then sit and have coffee in one of the coffee shops on the river front or have a late meal on an outside table and watch the world go by.

The Mercure (Etap) has a singer in the evening in the outside area and that can be a pleasant place to spend a couple of hours but the drinks are pricey (not compared to the Winter Palace though)to cover the overheads. There is a disco there too which has a belly dancer (some are better than others).

There is a restaurant on the West Bank called the Tutenkhamun which has good food and a roof top view across the river to Luxor. That is a nice place to while away a couple of hours.

The shops do not shut until after midnight in the summer so you can wander through the souk and bargain away some time there. The temples on the EAst Bank don't shut until 10.00 pm either.

Have a lovely holiday.

Which bit of September will you be there?

PS: I have only been in the Winter Palace for a pot of tea. Glorious place.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
WE ARE FLYING OUT FROM HEATHROW ON THE 27TH OF SEPTEMBER AND WE ARE GOING FOR A WEEK ELEVEN WEEKS ON MONDAY!WOHOO I CANT WAIT
frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
ARE ALL THE SHOPS AND MARKETS IN LUXOR IN ALL THE SAME PLACE AS I DONT REALLY WANT TO WALKIN ABOUT LIKE A WALLY WITH A MAP ALSO IS THERE ANY GOOD JEWELLERS AND IF SO WHERE ABOUTS ARE THEY ANY ADVICE ON RETAIL THERAPY WELCOME LOL
frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
ARE ALL THE SHOPS AND MARKETS IN LUXOR IN ALL THE SAME PLACE AS I DONT REALLY WANT TO WALKIN ABOUT LIKE A WALLY WITH A MAP ALSO IS THERE ANY GOOD JEWELLERS AND IF SO WHERE ABOUTS ARE THEY ANY ADVICE ON RETAIL THERAPY WELCOME LOL
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you will be surprised at just how small Luxor is. You certainly don't need much of a map to get about.

The jewellers are mainly around the souk and at the top of Station Street and everything is within walking distance of your hotel; including Luxor temple which is a couple of hundred yards away.

There are quite a lot of higher prices shops near the big hotel on Ibn el Walid Street but the souk is more interesting. (there is some hassle when people try to get you into their shops but treat it as a game). Gold is sold by weight and is usually good value.

There are lots of opportunities for retail therapy but do not expect any department type stores are there are non except the Government store (best place for cotton towels) and that is straight out of the nineteen twenties.

Anything else you want to know you can either post it or e-mail me on Lizasutton@hotmail.com

I would have liked to have met you and shown you round. (I love the temples etc) but I think that I shall be back in England then.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
i dont really know what to except when i get to luxor to be honest with yous it was my boyfriends idea of going on holiday to egypt as it is his dream holiday as he has always been really interested in egyptian history and stuff so since we booked up the holiday in january it like going back to school i have been trying to find about its history as much as possible with i might add with some success lol its certainly going to be a holiday with a difference its going to be great in the tour guide i bought its tells u street names but it doesnt actually say where anything is apart from the temples and valley of the kings and stuff like that and the hotels as all the guide ws mostly about cairo lol
also what are the best tombs in the valley of the kings to go and visit i want to go and see tuthmosis the 3rd and my boyfriend wants to go and see ramses the 4th has anyone visited these ones?

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
It's very difficult to recommend which tombs are the best because they you get our hopes up and are disappointed when you find that they are closed for restoration.

The best ones in the guide books have been closed for years (Seti 1) and the others seem to be closed in rotation. Ramses I, III and VI are all interesting. You get to see any three tombs on each ticket. (except Tutankhamun). Nefertari in the Valley of the Queens was closed when I last tried to take someone there but that was in march so it might have re-opened now. (Akshar should know).

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
PS: Get here very early in the morning - not just to avoid the heat but aslo to avoid the crowds which can spoil your enjoyment of the tombs by their sheer numbers and in some cases their crass behaviour.
frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
cool so there is only so many tombs open at a certain time also has anyone been to the sound and light show as both trips we have booked with the trvel agents is a trip to the west bank including valley of the kings, queens, nobles and some other places
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
I have always enjoyed the sound and light show and so have most of my guests. The ones that did not like it much were those that had not been to Karnak during the day and seen its immensity. You cannot get a grip on Karnak just from the sound and light but it is an interesting and enjoyable extra.

Your guide should know which tombs are actually open at the moment - its pointless me speculating as you are not going for a while yet and things change.

One temple I would insist on going to is the Medinet Habu (Ramses III). It is of a slightly different style than some of the others as the pillars are shorter and more sturdy and it has some great colours still showing especially on the remaining bits of the roof.

Another temple which is of interest and off the beaten track is the one at the Dier el Medina (workers village) it was built later than the others but there is a wonderful painting of Amun there with his blue skin still in full colour.

If you have time at Karnak get your guide to take to the temple of Khonsu which is in a far corner. It has not been tarted up like the rest and gives an idea of what the temples were like before they were made ready for mass tourism.

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 07 July 2004).]

frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
like i say we have only booked two excurcisons thro thomas cook to the sound and light show and also the places in the west bank would me and my other half manage places like the mumification muesuem and also luxor muesuem on our own or would be need a guide?
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have prebooked your trips then your guides will take you to see the best tombs which are open in the Valley of the Kings. You will also see Hatshepsuts temple and stop off at the Colossi of Memnon for a photo stop.
Karnak and Luxor temples you can happily do on your own, get yourself a copy of Rough Guide or Lonely Planet as a basic guide book. The Sound and Light show is great, and you will have a guide with you if you have prebooked.
Luxor museum and the Mummification Museum are musts, but dont bother with a guide, you wont need one.
As LL said, do try to see Medinet Habu, the colours there are wonderful, its my personal favourite. Its also worth pulling in a visit to the Ramesseum if you have the time and the Valley of the Workers is wonderful, very atmospheric. If you have read any Christian Jacqs books, you will feel like you had been there before. All of them can be visited under your own steam, just organise a taxi to take you, but please fix the price before you leave your hotel.

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for frances     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MYN BOYFRIEND HAS READ THE WHOLE SERIES OF THEM BOOKS I SWEAR HE MUST HAVE BEEN EGYPTIAN IN HIS PREVIOUS LIFE LOL I HAVE THE LONELY PLANET GUIDE BOOK SO MY HE CAN BE MY TOUR GUIDE THE ONLY THING IS HE DONT KNOW IT YET LOL DO ALOT OF EGYPTIANS SPEAK ENGLISH OR DO I NEED TO SCRUB MY SCOTTISH ACCENT OFF WITH A BIT OF EGYPTIAN?LOL
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
All the people that you are likely to come in contact with will speak good enough English to deal with anything that you need or want.

You can actually go around all the temples and tombs without a guide. In fact, if you have a decent guide book, you are usually better off on your own as then you are not rushed about. I have seen tours come into a temple and go before I have got past the first pylon. If your other half is as interested in the culture as he sounds, then I think that you might ind yourself rrevisitng places. I have been to karnak more times than I can count and I never tire of it. Each time I dinf something different.

As a tourist, it is interesting to get a calleche up to Karnak. The driver will wait for you and take you back again and it will cost very little. It is the same with the Valley of the Kings, etc. If you cross the river on the local ferry (2 LE return for visitors) then you can easily arrange a taxi on the other side to take you around and wait for you. Alternatively if you are energetic, then hire a bicycle (5 - 10 LE per day). It's quite a long way to the Valley of the Kings (and all up hill on the first leg through the canyon) but it in intersting (and all down hill on the way back).

Photocopy various pages of your guidebook before you come out and stuff them in your suitcase then you do not have to cart the whole guidebook around with you all the time. You will have enough trouble carting around bottles of water.

You must take a felucca trip on the river at sunset to watch the sun disappear behind the mountain. (Bring good mosquito repellent with you as they can be vicious at dusk on the water).

It is still very hot in September so bring loose clothing that will cover your shoulders, etc., not just for modesty but to stop you getting badly burned.

Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH, I just noticed you are staying at the Old Winter Palace.... a word of advice... dont get your taxis or caleches as you leave the hotel. As soon as they see where you are staying the price goes up out of all proportion.

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
where would be the best place to get the taxis from then?there is a whole section in the tour guide about karnak and luxor temple it sounds great i will be there with about forty bits of paper lol trying to find out which is which is the nile quite a still river?i have terrible motion sickness and i dont do boats
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Just walk a hundred yards along the road. You can wave a taxi down from the street and the calleche drivers will stop you anyway (after a while you will be screaming at them to go away). But Shareen is right, if you pick up transport outside the Winter Palace the cost goes through the roof. The taxi fare for tourists from Luxor to Karnak is 10 LE (or whatever they can aqueeze out of you). But as people have to make a living give what you think is fair and give some backsheesh.
frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
so one british pound is equal to 11 of egyptians pounds?
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by frances:
so one british pound is equal to 11 of egyptians pounds?

It been fluctuating between 10 to 11. Usually nearer to 10 which makes it very easy to compare prices.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
so things are really expensive then once you get there?
frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
I MEAN ARENT EXPENSIVE I AM A EEJIT
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Things are very cheap. A pepper steak at Maximes, followed by desert will cost around £4.00 (sterling). Fruit is wonderful and a kilo of lovely grapes cost around 25p. The fruit is wonderful.

Penny is right about using 10 LE to £1 as it is the easiest way to convert things. It was above 12 a couple of weeks ago but as the Egyptian pound has been allowed to float on the world's markets instead of being tied to the dollar for the last couple of years it goes up and down.

frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
COOL IT COSTING US A FORTUNE TO GET THERE BUT ONCE WE GET THERE ITS CHEAP I LIKE IT ALREADY!WHATS THE BEST BARGAINS TO BE HAD?
wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hullo-rer Frances,

I'm a Glasweigan (not boasting) and my accent is easily understood by shopkeepers and whoever in Egypt.

In fact, there have been a few occasions when - and no disrespect to my English friends on these boards - when the English holiday tour rep has misunderstood me, including some fellow English tourists.

Last March 2003 at Mena House Oberoi in Cairo, I chatted to fellow tourists at breakfast and they apologised that they didnt understand me.
Last November 2003 on a Nile Cruise my fellow diners on a daily basis would say they didnt understand me, even when I make the effort to speak a little slower and clearer.
Yet they hear Scottish accents on tv and film all the time(usually we're the bad guys and alcoholics). Egyptians would hear less Scottish accents than them. I've only met/heard 4 Scottish tourists in my 12 times in Egypt.

Most Egyptian shopkeepers, guides, drivers etc ... would say "oh you speak English" which yes is true but some also say "ah, you are Scottish" in first few words of speaking to them, which always amazes me.
Your accent will be accepted. As will your money!

Remember you cant exchange Scottish currency over there, it's a b*gger to get hold of English bank notes before I go but I make sure I have a few tucked in back of my purse (Scottish purse - complete with moths) in safety deposit box.

You'll have a fantastic time and the information and tips you get from these boards - you cannae put a price on it.
Keep visiting these boards, it can only benefit your holiday, no question too daft to ask.

Posts: 266 | From: Scotland, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
frances if you want anymore info email me at garyde@blueyonder.co.uk . we went out in feb for the 2nd time and loved it even more then the 1st !! done all our excursions once we got there ( so much cheaper that way ) but you have only booked 2 so not so bad i guess . will wait to hear from you with any questions just fire away
Posts: 130 | From: torquay . uk | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for frances     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHAT PART OF GLASGOW ARE YOU FROM?I AM FROM HAMILTON AND MOVED DOWN TO SUNNY ENGLAND TWO YEARS AGO TO MOVE IN WITH MY ENGLISH OTHER HALF LOL I HAVE TROUBLE IN ENGLAND STILL WITH MY ACCENT NEVER MIND EGYPT AND I DO SPEAK CLEARER AND MORE SLOWER ASWELL LOL I NOTICED THAT THE OTHER DAY WATCHING THE TV DOWN HERE IN ENGLAND THAT THE SCOTTISH ARE ALL PORTAYED AS BEING DRUNKS LOL WHICH ISNT ALWAYS THE CASE
frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
U'S NEED TO GIVE ME A LIST OF DECENT RESTAURANTS SO I KNOW WHERE TO GO AND WHERE THEY ARE LOL
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
That would depend on what kind of food you like.

The Amoun restaurant near Luxor temple is best for fish, Maxime's (just past the Isis hotel) is best for steak, and there are several cheap and cheerful restaurants in and around the souk (Abu Hussein) that have good chicken. Pizzas everywhere are a bit ropey (in my opinion).

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 09 July 2004).]

gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maxims is the BEST by far !!!!!
try there Tajine yum yum

Posts: 130 | From: torquay . uk | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
LL
I am actually quite partial to Amouns special pizza
Frances,if you like chicken livers, then try the Bistro on the corner of Television Street. La Mamas at the Sheraton is a really nice Italian, and you cant go far wrong with Tutankhamuns restaurant on the West Bank, very local, very tasty. And the kofta at El Gezira is excellent, and you can get a beer there too.

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Written before I read Shareen's posting about the pizza. Shareen I shall give that a try. She is right about the chicken livers too.

Original posting : Again, it depends what you like. Maxime's is a French run restaurant and deals mainly with European food. Good old bangers and mash can be got at one of the restaurants run by John and John and a Scottish woman (with her husband) runs the Jamboree. Snobs is run by an English woman called Penny and they have some excellent food and more than competative prices. I seldom cook lunch for myself as I can eat out cheaper than I can cook for myself.

Fortunately, you can get just about any type of food that you want in Luxor, There is even a McDonalds, but no KFC or Pizza Hut. Thank goodness. The Tutankhamun on the west bank serves good food too, although the menu is limited to what he has cooked that day.

For atmosphere, I like the pavement restaurants as there you can sit and watch the forever interesting goings-on around you.

Jane has some good tips on where to get the best beans for breakfast. The best felafel I am told is to be found in Television Street but I usually get mine by the bakers near the Horus Hotel.

wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Frances,

I'm from the rough east end of Glasgow. The rich west end would probably have difficulty in understanding me.
As for you South Lanarkshire folks, well, I'd need to provide subtitles!

The tough Glasweigan is a bit of a front.
I'm not a ned, I don't drop my "h's", I've never owned a shellsuit or a Burberry cap. I pay my council tax, grudgingly. I actually have a colour tv licence for my colour tv. See, I'm no' all that bad.

Isn't it amazing how we are portrayed in the media? I feel as though I'm letting the side down by being a non-drinker, non-smoker, non-gambler and no criminal record.

It was a dream of mine since doing a project on Egypt at primary school 20-odd years ago that I would see the pyramids and the mysterious tombsn when I was "grown up".
I dont know if I ever did "grow up" but I've been to Egypt 12 times now and I never tire of it.

When I first went to Egypt, it was via the overnight coach £24 return from Glasgow's Buchanan Street Bus Station to Manchester Airport. I arrived at 4 a.m. and slept alone on 1st floor of Terminal 2 departures, on a bench, with the cold air conditioning blowing on me and the constant security tannoy announcments echo-ing over the me.
I lay there uncomfortable clutching my hand luggage, my suitcase strapped up and tied around my ankle (seemed a good idea at the time!). My dreams of Egypt kept me content.
But the discomfort was worth it.
Changed days, now I fly down the night before and stay at airport hotel (Bewleys or Radisson if I skip my council tax - only kidding).
I havent been to Egypt for 8 months now and I long to return.

Maybe Egypt will be your dream destination too.

[This message has been edited by wise_woman (edited 09 July 2004).]

Posts: 266 | From: Scotland, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
It's addictive. I came backwards and fowards for a while before I took the plunge. I don't regret it.

Wise-woman I was always under the impression that you lived here.

Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Wise Woman! You need to get yourself back there soon!! 8 months is way too long! Inshallah you will make it soon.
wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I did live there.
See, I'm not so wise. What am I doing in rainy Glasgow?
I see Thomson are starting flights from Glasgow to Sharm el Sheikh this winter. Progress. Never been to Sharm, tempting.

Eight months is a long time, I don't know how I've coped.
Not been a good year so far for me healthwise (dental abscess, dental extraction, major dental treatment, 2 ear infections and a minor operation with overnight stay in hospital).

Found it hard to plan ahead. Waiting for something else to go wrong next.
Thanks to periods of Sciatica, I havent shifted the pounds I gained over the festive season - yes I know that was 7 months ago but I also over indulged at Easter. The supermarkets shouldn't sell half price giant size Bounty and Dairy Milk easter eggs. I cant resist a special offer or temptation itself.
Got my full allocation of annual leave to use up.

Been looking on internet and teletext holidays but no great offers for Egypt for later in year. Too hot for me just now.
I could book something last minute but would still like to plan it just now, to give me "a reason to live".

I do envy you guys who live in and frequently visit Egypt and enjoy reading your experiences and comments.

What I look forward to most is stepping out the door of the plane and breathing in my first whiff (usually unpleasant) of Luxor. Arriving at sunset, magical.

Although I'm not a regular on these boards and I contribute little, I absolutely love these boards and wish that one day I can meet up with you all. Insha'allah.

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
and wisewoman we wish to meet you too

------------------

Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Inshallah we will all meet up one day Wise Woman... you may not post much, but you pop up pretty frequently, and I have always enjoyed reading your posts.

So dont wait for the next "bad" thing to happen, use some of that allocation and take off for a week or two! I've known you a long time now, sooner or later we will be in sunny Luxor at the same time!

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Wise woman : I still laugh at the line you started about chat-up lines. I know what its like to be sick in England. My doctor says it is the lack of sunlight that causes it. If i am in England during the winter I am ill for weeks. In Egypt I have few health problems. Ever thought of moving there on a more permanent basis?
frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
jane i need your help is it baked beans oof the heinz variety you are talking about?cos i dont know how my other half will cope havinga week off from baked beans lol he is terrible ands the same old dinners nearly day in and day out i cant believe there is a mcdonalds in luxor! i dont even like them can anyone tell me what foul is i have heard it mentioned but i dont know what it is!lol
11 weeks till i go on holiday from today!wohooo what do u mean the pizza is a bit ropey?as for chicken livers eughhhhh

frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
what about the kings head pub?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com