EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » GOING TO LUXOR ON HOLIDAY (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: GOING TO LUXOR ON HOLIDAY
WELSHLADYUK
Member # 5356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WELSHLADYUK   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a british woman who travels to Egypt here is my advice. You will love Egypt the people are great although sometimes a little forward, NEVER pay anywhere in Luxor more than 10LE (5LE normally) for a taxi OR horse down carriage. If you brave to take the bus willcost you 25piestras less than 10p ! Food is good most international can recommend Maxims, Amoun Resturant, Kings Head or eat in any of the hotels, there is also a super british resturant ran by 2 great UK guys called 7 Days and 7 Ways you will find it up past the Isis Hotel and Shearton on the same side. DONT do any trips with your rep they are expensive try the independant travel shops outside the Winter Palace Hotel on the main Nile Cornich (Street) Luxor is small ou cant get lost and your TOTALLY safe there ! Cairo is 9hrs away by overnight train cost you about £7 one way 1st Class, flying forget it too expensive for foreigners. I recommend the Karnak Temple, Valley of Kings & Queens Trip, Fellahs Tent night at Movenpick Hotel fab egyptian entertainment fantastic buffet and a nile felucca ride at Sunset around £12 each. Sound & Light Show was ok but went on a bit cost around £8 check nights for the english commentary !!. Loads to see in Luxor BUT GET AN IDEA of your prices from others before you go because believe me newcomers are usually ripped off big time on prices (and every local wants to be your friend to). Any other advise let me know - you'll love it just like me....oooo and it is gonna be hot probably in the late 30's !!

[This message has been edited by WELSHLADYUK (edited 05 October 2004).]

Posts: 203 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WElshladyUK - if you are paying 10 LE for a taxi in Luxor (unless it is a long journey) then you are being done. The going rate for a normal jounrey around town is 5 LE (3 for locals).
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WELSHLADYUK
Member # 5356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WELSHLADYUK   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand what you say BUT I was saying to the newcomers is pay NO MORE than 10LE for anywhere in Luxor. I know 5LE is for downtown but places like Hilton and Karnak can be 10E and 25LE I pay from the airport to Luxor. I take the local bus 25piestars but it can be daunting for new people in Luxor. I get more confused with the Cairo taxi rates. Anyway thanks luxorlover may I please ask you are you "one of the crowd" that meets in the Wena Gardens just wondered whether maybe I knew you ?

Posts: 203 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WElshladyUK: I doubt that you know me as I am not in the habit of sitting in the Wena Gardens. I do know of Freida though as everyone does but I am not a friend of hers.

I am not in the habit of giving out people's real names on forums and find it somewhat alarming that you are prepared to do so easily. If you do ever put two and two together and realise who I am then please keep that knowledge to yourself and do not go pasting it all over the place.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WELSHLADYUK
Member # 5356

Icon 14 posted      Profile for WELSHLADYUK   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no problem Luxorlover I am new to this forum but would not breathe a word of your name....as for giving 3 names then see it no problem many people go to Luxor and I would never dream of giving second names or any other personal info. Was merely a comment and question in case we had met (will not devuldge to Mi5 ok). Dont do the flesh pots or discos in Luxor myself too - keep to myself basically when I am there, find its best (as probably you well know).
Carol_2004
Member # 5088

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol_2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what and where are the Wena Gardens?
Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Wena Gardens - free advert - Sedate outdoor coffee shop at the old Luxor Hotel.
Carol_2004
Member # 5088

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol_2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks LL just never heard of them? OK so where is the Old Luxor Hotel?
Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for frances     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
another question whats the time difference between london and luxor and how long is the flight from heathrow
Posts: 62 | From: england | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenzie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol

Its right behind Luxor Temple - it usually hosts local weddings and can be noisey.

Posts: 339 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
The Luxor Hotel is now run down and I think it is owned by the government but at one time it would have rivalled the Old Winter Palace. I think it is about the same age. It has vast rooms inside and some lovely wood work.

Frances: The time difference is two hours at the moment as I don't think that the clocks have changed yet. The flight takes about 5 hours give or take a bit depending on wind speeds etc.

WELSHLADYUK
Member # 5356

WELSHLADYUK
Member # 5356

Dont worry about anything just have a fab time/

frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for frances     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what an amazing place luxor is!!i am definately going back sometime soon its great only hassle is the the bloody taxi drivers and caleche and felucaa guys trying to do your nut in but apart from that its just a totally different world to britain
Posts: 62 | From: england | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Now you understand more why I chose to live there. I am so glad that you are having a good holiday. All your fears and worries were groundless. Most people who visit Luxor cannot wait to get back there despite the hassle.

If you go to John and John's give them my best wishes and you might want to try out a new restaurant in Medina Street near the Police Station its called the Lantern.

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 07 October 2004).]

frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
i came back from luxor on monday and it was the best holiday ever i would go back tomorrow if i had the money lol hopefully the beatle at karnak will bring me some luck considering i walked around it 8 times instead of seven lol we packed in so much stuff on tuesday there was the carnival for AL Haggag which was a sight to be seen lol there was an egyptian man covered in cement on the back of a cement mixer along with all the donkeys and the camels and horses charging up the street, then on wednesday we went to medinet habu then to the tombs of the nobles and the ramessuem. then on the thursday we went to the valley of the kings, queens and hot chicken soups temple lol. then we went to the sound and light show at karnak. then it was a early start the next morning again and went to karnak and luxor temple which we both great karnak is just amense and then on saturday and sunday we chilled and caught up on some afternoon naps.
i would recommend egypt to anyone

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
The Abu el Haggag Festival is wonderful and although it is now an Islamic festival it was originally Opet. The past and the present mix in the streets of Luxor.

I hope the scarab brings you the luck you wished for. Luxor will wish for your quick return.

Safe journey home.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com