EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Who here are serious muslims living in Egypt?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who here are serious muslims living in Egypt?
lee jones
Member # 4529

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for lee jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assalamu alaikum,
who amongst us are serious muslims on this forum who live in Egypt? I would love to get in contact to find out more about Egypt from this perspective. (By "serious" I mean those who uphold the five pillars and for whom Allah and rememberance of Allah is central to their existence.) Thanks. Wassalamu alaikum.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lee jones:
Assalamu alaikum,
who amongst us are serious muslims on this forum who live in Egypt? I would love to get in contact to find out more about Egypt from this perspective. (By "serious" I mean those who uphold the five pillars and for whom Allah and rememberance of Allah is central to their existence.) Thanks. Wassalamu alaikum.

The five pillars of Islam is the foundation...Islam is a way of life...and there is much more too Islam then only the 5 pillars.What is your perception of a "white hearted" Muslim?Serious Muslim?...we all try to be the best of Muslims we can be but not one of us is perfect...only the angels are. So i hope you find a perfect Muslim because even a learned man would tell you there are no such thing as a perfect Muslim...we just all strive to be better.Im not in Egypt but i have knowledge and i am Muslim...thats if I meet your criteria.

Posts: 723 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smile
Member # 4202

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
salam alikum :
i'm an egyptian muslimah and i live in Egypt .i agree with Natashiah. that you can't find perfect muslims easly but we are trying to be better muslims ,anyway if you need any help or friends here in Egyptjust ask me and i'll trto help in shaa Allah

Posts: 5 | From: Cairo,Egypt | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BahYBasha
Member # 4522

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BahYBasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i agree with the above two posts!
Islam is really a way of life not just a relgion.
we all try our best to be good muslims.
any help needed? just post here and enshallah we will help u.

salamo alkom bro/sis

Posts: 180 | From: halifax, nova scotia, canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smile:
salam alikum :
i'm an egyptian muslimah and i live in Egypt .i agree with Natashiah. that you can't find perfect muslims easly but we are trying to be better muslims ,anyway if you need any help or friends here in Egyptjust ask me and i'll trto help in shaa Allah

I don't think she once asked for a "perfect muslim", she simply asked for the "serious muslims" to speak up and let her know they are here. I think she did a good job of defining what she meant by "serious". I think it was fairly clear she was hoping to understand who on the board is a PRACTICING MUSLIM, not just one that is Muslim by birth alone.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elkadi80
Member # 4530

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for elkadi80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assalamu Allaikom,
you re all right, copletely right.
we all tring to be Good muslims as much as we can, trying to to stick to Isalmic rules as much as we can. trying to help Mulims.

to put isalm always in the first Priority, to be Jealous for our religion. thats what we r all try'n to.

Salam

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alabanda
Member # 594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alabanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee Jones, I am a practicing Muslim. I don't know if modesty is the reason behind their silence, but if you're looking for practicing Muslims I would recommend you try and get in touch with Nefertiti or newcomer. They are both in Egypt and they are both foreigners if that makes a difference to you.

I'm not saying those are the only practicing Muslims here, but there are others that I haven't read anything posted by them for a while, and there are others that I don't know if they would be interested.

Posts: 320 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:
I don't think she once asked for a "perfect muslim", she simply asked for the "serious muslims" to speak up and let her know they are here. I think she did a good job of defining what she meant by "serious". I think it was fairly clear she was hoping to understand who on the board is a PRACTICING MUSLIM, not just one that is Muslim by birth alone.

She wants to know about Egypt from an Islamic point of view...right?...Meaning what?...How the Muslims took over from the pharoahs?.....What impact Islam has had on Egypt as a country?...The customs and traditions versus religion?...What?...Or does she want to know about the religion itself?...Is she a muslim or does she want to convert or does she only want more insight into the religion?...But I guess we will have to wait and see what she really wants to know.Once again Islam is a way of life...practicing Muslim...is not only a person who upholds the 5 pillars...what about the rest of day,year,life.Practicing Muslim equals someone who believes and trust love and fear Allah and lives their lives accordingly...again Islam is a way of life...how you live...the quraan is a guide for you to live by...Practicing muslim is not only what you see from the outside....its whats on the inside and that is more important.By the way....we are all born Muslim...including you!

Posts: 723 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dirk
Member # 4259

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dirk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
By the way....we are all born Muslim...including you!

can you explain a little more pls?

Thx

Posts: 71 | From: Belgium | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assalamu alaykum

Jazak Allah khairan Alabanda for the reference. The reason I didn’t respond was that both Nefertiti and I have had previous conversations with lee and she knows that we are both here in Egypt and so I thought maybe she was looking for other contacts. But of course if she needs any help/advice/information I would do my best to help, as I hope all the Muslims would, and the non-Muslims if they had useful information too.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lee jones
Member # 4529

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lee jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assalamu alaikum. Jazak Allahu khairan for taking the time to respond. I thought what I said was clear, but computers are funny like that...they often give me a tone of voice I don't have!!

I am still getting to know how to effectively use this board, and remembering who is who on it. I am female and I am serious muslim. (No, of course not perfect! Only Allah is perfect.) No offence intended to non-muslims, but I want to learn as much as I can about Egypt before I go there, and I don't see much point learning about it from a non-muslim perspective. I hope it is clear what I mean by this. I can explain more if you like.
For instance..once when I said I am a sole parent, wanting to visit Egypt, someone on the forum said I was not behaving like a muslim to even imagine living alone, and "can't you hear the gossip".. Well, in my view gossip is one of the most unislamic things, so I was just wondering where the serious muslims were, to get there perspective on being in Egypt. ie, what it's like for them, esp. with reference to the deen. As Debbie said, I did indeed mean practicing muslim, rather than non-practicing. If I was Christian, I would be asking for the Christian's perspective. If I was a night-clubber......etc, etc, etc. Thanks for listening. Wa as salam.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lee jones
Member # 4529

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lee jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
walaikum as salam, thanks Smile, where in Egypt are you? My email is howimaginative@yahoo.com.au if you could give me your email i would be grateful

quote:
Originally posted by smile:
salam alikum :

lee jones
Member # 4529

Rate Member
I never said anything about perfect muslims!! Thanks sister for offer to help, it is appreciated. I am after general information about life in Egypt for muslim women. Anything you feel like posting will be happily received. Wa as salam. Lee.

quote:
Originally posted by BahYBasha:
i agree with the above two posts!
Islam is really a way of life not just a relgion.
we all try our best to be good muslims.
any help needed? just post here and enshallah we will help u.

salamo alkom bro/sis

lee jones
Member # 4529

Rate Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Natashiah:
[B] She wants to know about Egypt from an Islamic point of view...right?...Meaning what?...

Asalamu alaikum, yes, life in Egypt from point of view of muslimahs. The other stuff about Egyptian history and politics is probably really good to know about too, but I am just trying to prepare for my visit, and want to know what to expect. Lee.

lee jones
Member # 4529

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dirk:
[QUOTE]By the way....we are all born Muslim...including you!

can you explain a little more pls?

Thx[/QUOTE]

I didn't raise this issue...but i will try to answer Dirk's query, even though it is incidental to the thread. Muslims believe all humans are muslims, until puberty, when they get to decide whether or not to use their free will to deviate from total submission to Allah's will (eg. acceptance of his Unity and Sovereinty, following the law He sent with His prophets, etc)...Animals and angels are also muslim, in the sense that the arabic word muslim means "one who submits (to Allah's will)". Only jinns and humans have free will and can choose not to submit to God. In this sense of the term, the whole universe is muslim, except certain jinns and certain people. I can see how it would be offensive to people if it was not properly qualified. Hope this helps.

Dirk
Member # 4259

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dirk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the explanation

[This message has been edited by Dirk (edited 16 July 2004).]

Posts: 71 | From: Belgium | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee Jones, Just want to say that although I understand why you want the muslima input to your questions, you may very well have questions that any foreigner (particularly a woman) in Egypt could have valuable information for you about. I don't believe that every problem you will have during your move and adjustment is going to be secluded to Islamic problems or answers. Keep an open mind to responses you might get from anyone. We are all here and willing to help.
Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Debbie wholeheartedly on this one, as that has been the main benefit to me from this board, receiving advice and information about living here in Egypt from English speakers, which has come from both Muslims and non-Muslims. My Egyptian Muslim friends have been the ones most able to give me the best advice on things related to living in Egypt as a Muslim, but there are the odd things that they have not been able to help me on that are specific to my needs as an English speaking foreigner here, like where to find a hairdresser that understands English, where to buy certain products that I prefer to use, etc. The board has also helped to give me a wider perspective on life here in Egypt too.

I agree that some advice is best sought from Muslimahs, but this board doesn't have a separate place for Muslim women who share the same perspective on Islam, and to be honest I haven't found one for single English speaking females. I know of one for Muslimah's married to Egyptians and another for women married to Egyptians, but not one for single Muslim women as far as I know. There is one for women interested in Egypt, but that is a non-religious forum, although they do have some advice relevant to Muslimahs.

Any advice given on this board will reflect a wide range of views from Muslims who have different perspectives on the religion and life here in Egypt, and will also reflect the reality of living here in Egypt. For example, the gossip you mentioned earlier that is a proscibed behaviour in Islam, is a fact of life and happens amongst Muslims (even the serious ones) and amongst non-Muslims. Advise you might be given here, or anywhere else about living here in Egypt will include things that don't seem to be Islamic, and it should include that too as that is the reality of life here.

As I said I am willing to help in anyway I can, but if you can be more specific about what it is you want to know about, I will try to answer your questions.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cairoexpat
Member # 1023

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairoexpat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are no serious/good Muslims on this web site let alone in Egypt.
Posts: 133 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That brings us full cricile Cairoexpat. What is a serious/good Muslim? I know many that uphold all the pillars but ---------- !!

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alabanda
Member # 594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alabanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lady was very clear in her definition of "serious Muslim". She said (By "serious" I mean those who uphold the five pillars and for whom Allah and rememberance of Allah is central to their existence.) She didn't only say uphold the five pillars.
Posts: 320 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My comment was in relation to cairoexpat's comment about there being no serious/good Muslims on the board or in Egypt. I just made a comment that I know many Muslims in Egypt who uphold the five pillars of Islam very seriously. I am sure that Allah is central to their thoughts, - but I would not describe them as good Muslims although they might describe themselves as that.
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Assalamu alaikum. Jazak Allahu khairan for taking the time to respond. I thought what I said was clear, but computers are funny like that...they often give me a tone of voice I don't have!!

I am still getting to know how to effectively use this board, and remembering who is who on it. I am female and I am serious muslim. (No, of course not perfect! Only Allah is perfect.) No offence intended to non-muslims, but I want to learn as much as I can about Egypt before I go there, and I don't see much point learning about it from a non-muslim perspective. I hope it is clear what I mean by this. I can explain more if you like.
For instance..once when I said I am a sole parent, wanting to visit Egypt, someone on the forum said I was not behaving like a muslim to even imagine living alone, and "can't you hear the gossip".. Well, in my view gossip is one of the most unislamic things, so I was just wondering where the serious muslims were, to get there perspective on being in Egypt. ie, what it's like for them, esp. with reference to the deen. As Debbie said, I did indeed mean practicing muslim, rather than non-practicing. If I was Christian, I would be asking for the Christian's perspective. If I was a night-clubber......etc, etc, etc. Thanks for listening. Wa as salam.

If you want to know about Egypt then you have to remember that it is not an exclusively Muslim society nor is it an exclusive Egyptian society. Unlike many Arab/Middle Eastern/African countries it is a polygot and you should seek a polygot view if you are living here.

to me that is part of it's charms

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elmagnoon
Member # 4199

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for elmagnoon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cairoexpat:
There are no serious/good Muslims on this web site let alone in Egypt.

Can you expand on that,what is your definition of a serious/good Muslim.

Posts: 343 | From: Magnoon Land | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lee jones
Member # 4529

Rate Member
still no muslimah perspectives here...i figure the non-muslim perspective comes without asking, and it is all over the forum, so there's not much chance that I would ignore it or miss out on it. I simply wonder what life is like for muslimahs in Egypt. I suppose it's too broad a question, but I was inviting any general response; not interested in getting caught up in what is/isn't muslim or Egyptian - just personal response, like "there are no serious muslims on this forum, let alone in Egypt" - that is the sort of reply i was looking for!! It is personal, and clear. I find it very hard to believe as I am sure there would be extremely serious sheikhs in Egypt who keep rememberence of Allah central to their existance. So, what do you suppose was meant by the statement? Or was it frivolous?
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[I find it very hard to believe as I am sure there would be extremely serious sheikhs in Egypt who keep rememberence of Allah central to their existance. So, what do you suppose was meant by the statement? Or was it frivolous?]

I think some muslims took it as an insult...dont get me wrong...but to ask for "serious muslims" is like a slap in the face.As if they are not muslim enough or their imaan in weak or something.Maybe you should have used another phrase.Egyptians are very sensitive people and sometimes take things a little harder then it was meant to be especially when it comes to their religion.

Im sorry but how can you say "rememberence of Allah central to their existance"...all Muslims believe in Allah ...and you dont have to be a good person to believe that.Do you understand what Im saying?All of us believe in Allah...we try to be good Muslims but we are not perfect....because that is what they understand when you asked about serious muslims.Maybe you should have asked for a moulana or emam...or something.If you want to know something...ask and I am sure they will answer truthfully from a muslim point of view...dont look at the person who gives you the advice ...listen to what he is saying!

fridaies
Member # 4446

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fridaies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the question meant to identify those muslimas whose Deen and islam are so deep that they are willing to implement every rule of islam including that of helping muslims in distress to the extent of volunatarily sharing their husbands for the sake of "nosrat elislam" ?
Posts: 63 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Assalamu alaykum lee

There are actually a number of us Muslimahs here who are trying to help you (and only Allah knows if we are good ones or not, but I guess most of us are trying to do the best we can), but I am afraid that your question is too broad, it’s like asking what is life like for a Muslim woman in Australia or any other country, it all depends where she lives, if she lives alone, if she works, what her income/social status is, does she have children, how old she is, what her interests are, etc. etc. There isn’t one standard answer. We have already discussed several aspects of life here in Egypt with you and we tried to offer some advice to help you then, but if you could help us a little and let us know more specifically what it is you want to know about now, we might be able to help you.

elmagnoon
Member # 4199

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for elmagnoon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Assalamu alaikum,

To write that there are serious Muslims in Egypt would be an understatement.
Their faith in Allah (swt) is great and central to their every deed. Their actions and thoughts are guided by their belief. They harm no one and wish the world well. They are often referred to as Fundamentalists or Fanatics.
My brother is one, he wears Galabya and a pair of pants under it to make absolutely sure that his privates are completely covered. He does not shake hands with women who are not Haram to him. He would wake me up at dawn so that I would not miss the prayer. Though himself unmarried always wishes I was married and reminds me that marriage is an intrical part of being a Muslim. Never raises his voice and before he gets angry he retreats to a room and reads Quran and/or Hadith. Everything in his schedule revolves around the Prayers Time Table, he know where every mosque is on his way driving to a meeting or to shop.
Never...Ever considers himself before the family.
Respected by most people who know him. Pitied by my non-immediate family for he was many times national Champion in sports, speaks three languages, has a Masters degree, studied abroad and more recent in Azhar yet he does not own a fast car and villa in Richville .He is modest and above all content, his mid is clear.
He does know wrong from right and he does not care for flashing lights.

[This message has been edited by elmagnoon (edited 19 July 2004).]

Posts: 343 | From: Magnoon Land | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by elmagnoon:

To write that there are serious Muslims in Egypt would be an understatement.
Their faith in Allah (swt) is great and central to their every deed. Their actions and thoughts are guided by their belief. They harm no one and wish the world well. They are often referred to as Fundamentalists or Fanatics.
My brother is one, he wears Galabya and a pair of pants under it to make absolutely sure that his privates are completely covered. He does not shake hands with women who are not Haram to him. He would wake me up at dawn so that I would not miss the prayer. Though himself unmarried always wishes I was married and reminds me that marriage is an intrical part of being a Muslim. Never raises his voice and before he gets angry he retreats to a room and reads Quran and/or Hadith. Everything in his schedule revolves around the Prayers Time Table, he know where every mosque is on his way driving to a meeting or to shop.
Never...Ever considers himself before the family.
Respected by most people who know him. Pitied by my non-immediate family for he was many times national Champion in sports, speaks three languages, has a Masters degree, studied abroad and more recent in Azhar yet he does not own a fast car and villa in Richville .He is modest and above all content, his mid is clear.
He does know wrong from right and he does not care for flashing lights.

[This message has been edited by elmagnoon (edited 19 July 2004).]

You will make all the Muslim girls here in Cape Town run after your brother. We need men like that here...most of the guys here are only interested in money,fast cars and a house on the beach front.Spirituality is a foreign word to them.

Dirk
Member # 4259

Rate Member
There are more men like that of course...

My friend in Aswan, is a very honnerable man, who could fit in your description as well.

As I'm living in Belgium, where Islam is one of the 4 officialy recognised Religions, most of the Muslims come from Turkey. As you might know, Islam in Turkey has many different fractions. I have some Turkish friends, and I always find their way of being a Moslem very nationalistic. This is partly a result of the growing racism in Europe, but partly also the typical mix between religion, life and culture, which you find anywhere.

When I met Hussein in Aswan, I got a different view on Islam. The way Hussein lives and how he quotes the Holy books, I saw Islam a much more friendly and peacefull religion. If you respect a man like Hussein, you get to respect the way he lives, and his life shows you Islam. And yet he will never call himself a ‘ good Muslem’. I guess it would feel like indecent pride to him.

For many years I’ve been a member of a Christian community that turned out to be very narrow minded and fanatic. Fanatic in many ways, it was a closed community, that saw all the others as enemies as long as they were not converted. So my idea if religion was influenced by that experience. As I’m a non believer now , he respects me, but I know it hurts him that I’m not walking on the way that he believes that is the only right way to live. But he doesn’t insult me by provoking. He respects me as a human being, a friend, and often talks to me about how Islam would change my life. He shares wisdom with me and I must say that I have to listen, because his life is honest end respectable.

In that way, he opened my heart and showed me that Islam is not the same as what I thought it was.

Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dirk:
There are more men like that of course...

My friend in Aswan, is a very honnerable man, who could fit in your description as well.

As I'm living in Belgium, where Islam is one of the 4 officialy recognised Religions, most of the Muslims come from Turkey. As you might know, Islam in Turkey has many different fractions. I have some Turkish friends, and I always find their way of being a Moslem very nationalistic. This is partly a result of the growing racism in Europe, but partly also the typical mix between religion, life and culture, which you find anywhere.

When I met Hussein in Aswan, I got a different view on Islam. The way Hussein lives and how he quotes the Holy books, I saw Islam a much more friendly and peacefull religion. If you respect a man like Hussein, you get to respect the way he lives, and his life shows you Islam. And yet he will never call himself a ‘ good Muslem’. I guess it would feel like indecent pride to him.

For many years I’ve been a member of a Christian community that turned out to be very narrow minded and fanatic. Fanatic in many ways, it was a closed community, that saw all the others as enemies as long as they were not converted. So my idea if religion was influenced by that experience. As I’m a non believer now , he respects me, but I know it hurts him that I’m not walking on the way that he believes that is the only right way to live. But he doesn’t insult me by provoking. He respects me as a human being, a friend, and often talks to me about how Islam would change my life. He shares wisdom with me and I must say that I have to listen, because his life is honest end respectable.

In that way, he opened my heart and showed me that Islam is not the same as what I thought it was.

Yeah...its a pity that some people judge a whole religion by certain individuals actions whether its good or bad...Im not talking about the above mentioned.Just in general...whatever religion you are I think we are moulded by the environment we are in.

BahYBasha
Member # 4522

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BahYBasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My adivce to u is to go to arabic Egyptian forums, They know more about islam and life in Egypt. u can write in English and they will take the hassel to read and reply in English.
For a start go to www.egyptsons.com and try to find ur way.

Posts: 180 | From: halifax, nova scotia, canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megypt
Member # 5023

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a foreign muslim woman (american) who has lived in egypt as a single woman. I am engaged now back in the USA. I can possibly help answer some of your questions insha'Allah. Please feel free to email me at megyptme@yahoo.com

Posts: 25 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nilotic
Member # 4647

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nilotic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assalamu Alaikum Lee,
I'm an Egyptian, born as a muslim, trying not to take it for granted that I'm muslim. Meaning I'm doing my best to be a real muslim, not just for the title.
I'd be so delighted if I could help you with any of your questions or concerns about Islam.

Salam..

Posts: 26 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nilotic
Member # 4647

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nilotic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assalamu alaikum Lee..

By the way should you need any answers, please don't hesitate emailing me at: elshaer@menanet.net

Salam...

Posts: 26 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptourguide
Member # 5233

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptourguide   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
peace and mercy from the one GOD be with u
if u like to have spots light on Islam and more information and many Islamic webs try this web http://soha.egypt.tripod.com
u r welcome to e mail me and asking me about
regards

Posts: 167 | From: egypt | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com