EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Whats best

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Whats best
smudge
Member # 4953

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smudge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry for this being a silly question.

Whats is better.. Getting the Visa before you go from the egyption embbassy or getting the visa when you get to the airport in egypt???.

Thanks in advance

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flupke
Member # 725

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flupke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a silly question
It depends on your country I think, I mean, in my country it is more expensive to buy the visa in advance then at arrival in Cairo.
In Cairo it costs 15Euro.
Good luck ! and enjoy Egypt! It's a lovely country despite all the ugly posts lately..
take care..
quote:
Originally posted by smudge:
sorry for this being a silly question.

Whats is better.. Getting the Visa before you go from the egyption embbassy or getting the visa when you get to the airport in egypt???.

Thanks in advance

Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To play it safe...get your visa before departure...just in case the guys at immigration is in a bad mood.Some nationalities can get their visas on arrival at about USD15....but I still recommend you getting it before departure!

Posts: 723 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Natashiah:
To play it safe...get your visa before departure...just in case the guys at immigration is in a bad mood.Some nationalities can get their visas on arrival at about USD15....but I still recommend you getting it before departure!

Natashiah is right; price is $15 (or equivalent)in the Embassy, peace of mind - priceless.

Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flupke
Member # 725

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flupke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry but that's not always true..
I had to pay more at my embassy at home so...
by the way, never had any troubles at arrival.. (all together 20 times already)
bye

quote:
Originally posted by Karah_Mia:
Natashiah is right; price is $15 (or equivalent)in the Embassy, peace of mind - priceless.

Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flupke:
bye

Sorry, I made a wrong assumption...

Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flupke
Member # 725

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Flupke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Such things can happen ;p

QUOTE]Originally posted by Karah_Mia:
Sorry, I made a wrong assumption...

[/QUOTE]

Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
bye

You are right...most of the time it is more expensive to obtain it from the embassy!...But if you know all that and you have been in Egypt more then 20 times and you never had problems...Why did you ask in the first place.. ...we only answered your question

Posts: 723 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flupke
Member # 725

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Flupke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't ask the question !!!!
I just answered the question too ! )
quote:
Originally posted by Natashiah:
You are right...most of the time it is more expensive to obtain it from the embassy!...But if you know all that and you have been in Egypt more then 20 times and you never had problems...Why did you ask in the first place.. ...we only answered your question

smudge
Member # 4953

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smudge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was me who asked the question!. It will cost £15 in the UK.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smudge, its easier and cheaper to get it at the airport.
Here in the UK, it not only costs the price of the visa, but the recorded delivery they insist you use to send your passport, and the recorded post paid return envelope. Unless you are lucky enough to be able to go to the Embassy in person, and then you dont always get your visa on the same day.
Just go to the airport, get in the queue, pay your £10 sterling, get your change in egyptian pounds and off you go!
Way easier!

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
quote:
I didn't ask the question !!!!
I just answered the question too ! )

Sorry ...got my wires crossed ...

ScarlettHamada
Member # 4740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarlettHamada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another problem with sending off for a visa in the UK is that the 'Recorded Delivery' service isnt actual guaranteed. It travels with ordinary mail and is only pulled to one side when prepared for delivery. Large deliveries of RD are not always checked properly. Also, the compensation level is only £27...not enough to buy a replacement passport.

The 'Special Delivery' service is the only one the is guaranteed with next day delivery and compensation paid to the full value of the contents. But it costs £7.50 each way.

Then you have the cost of the Postal Orders as the Egyptian Embassy will not accept cash, credit cards or personal cheques.

So to sum up:

Cost of visa: £15 or £18
Cost of secure postage: £15
Cost of Postal orders: around £2.50.
Several days of panic if using RD
Several weeks of waiting for compensation.

or

Cost of visa on arrival:
£10 minus change.
Filling out a little form

Mmmmm wonder which i would choose?

Sorry...ex Royal Mail customer services officer here. I know far too much about the inner workings of the British postal system....lol

Posts: 48 | From: portsmouth, hampshire, uk | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree... lot easier to get it at the airport. The Egyptian Embassy in London make you wait for hours, or come back in the afternoon, if you go personally. Still, if you fancy a few hours' shopping in the Kings Road, it's 5 minutes walk!!!
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smudge
Member # 4953

Rate Member
so its best to pay to pay £10 sterling? when you land in egypt?
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smudge:
so its best to pay to pay £10 sterling? when you land in egypt?

yes

The visa you get on arrival allows a stay of one month the one you get at the embasssy allows a stay of 3 months. that is why the price difference.

The hassle factor as Scarlet says is sooooooo much less at the airport.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
yes
The visa you get on arrival allows a stay of one month the one you get at the embasssy allows a stay of 3 months. that is why the price difference.

The hassle factor as Scarlet says is sooooooo much less at the airport.

If I remember correctly the visa from the embassy is valid for 3 months but youre only allowed to stay 1 month...where as the one on arrival is valid for 30 days and you may only stay for 30days...unless they changed it and I havent noticed.In SA if your British the visa for single entry is ZAR250 and for double entry ZAR300 Canadians,Nigerians,Zimbabweans pay the same,except for American that pays ZAR150 for single or double entry.South Africans dont pay for visas

But I do agree get it before departure...you never know what mood the immigration officers are in

Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Also there are different types of visas...theres an ordinary one,tourism,bussiness ect. with different prices. ..I think the tourism one is the cheapest.

wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always send my application form, passport, postal orders (they dont accept cheques) and return "special delivery next day" env addressed to me to the Embassy, think its Lowndes Street, London. This is safest method.
From Glasgow to London then back to Glasgow, I get it back in 4 days.

I send it all down in silver/grey "special delivery next day" plastic envelope, £4.05, offers maximum £250 compensation if lost. I address one to myself and place with documents for them to send back to me, which they do.

As someone posted earlier, peace of mind = priceless.
I dont like queues and at Luxor Airport, those with visa stamp already in passport go to queue in one area and the majority of tourists without visa stamps go to another queue. A much larger queue.

I am amazed, every time, when Egypt airport rep says this and some British tourists reply "a visa, what's a visa, do we need one, how much is it". How can they not know they need a visa stamp. Airplane crew give out those little white cards to fill in to hand over at passport control. The number of tourists again who didnt bother to fill them out or left them on the plane then harrass the rest of us looking for a pen.
Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhh.

I have read in small print in brochures that visa requirements can change at short notice. I'd hate to arive at the airport and find out they dont issue visa stamps on the spot.

If you have time to send off for your passport stamp, then do so.
Otherwise, turn up with correct amount of currency (not Scottish or Irish) to buy your stamp, have a pen and get ready and join a long queue.

Posts: 266 | From: Scotland, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Small tip.... if you are a frequent visitor to Egypt, you can buy 2 or 3 sets of stamps at once.... one queue less!!
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smudge
Member # 4953

Rate Member
I have one last question about this!!. Im due to land at hurghada airport around 18:00 hrs. Is the place where you get your visa's open 24hrs at the airport?
ScarlettHamada
Member # 4740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarlettHamada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are only manned when a plane arrives.....lol
Posts: 48 | From: portsmouth, hampshire, uk | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com