EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Ist Time to Sharm.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ist Time to Sharm.
Madonna
Member # 4631

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Madonna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please help me to make a good choice on my holiday to Egypt. I have been before just on the mini cruise from Cyprus to Cairo, loved the culture and want to go back for my 40th in spring 05. Before when i wrote on here Debbie said the Sonesta Beach in Sharm was a good hotel. We have read reports that indicate this, but could you help us further.

Firstly, is this hotel in a noisy spot?

Is Sharm tacky?

My requirements are for a nice fairly quiet good beach, lovely hotel near the centre within walking distance, but not in the dead centre if its noisy.

Is it safe for women or will i get hassled with my husband.

Is Sharm the right area to see Egypt with a beach, if you think there are better areas with an excellent beach and coral, please advise.

I do not want all inclusive but B & B.

Is there any good websites that can show how lovely egypt really is.

I apologise for so many questions but this is the best web site to go on for info of this nature.

Thank you kindly.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will you be in Naema Bay or Sharm more to the old market side?

Posts: 723 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neama Bay is nice...try Hilnan marina...very nice and affordable.If your husband is with you ...you should not have problems,but if you're alone take care of how you dress...ie. bikini etc.At the Marina its very very nice...nice beaches,pools,restaurants...like a fairytale.You can go to Dahab for the day if you want...take the bus from East Delta Station....its cheaper to shop in Dahab...you will get the same things there.If you want Hard Rock T shirts ...buy it in Dahab LE10 Sharm El Sheikh Hard Rock LE90.A good book would be "Go Egypt" ...everything you want to know will be in there.

Posts: 723 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madonna
Member # 4631

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Madonna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your replies, firstly i am only suggestion Sharm because a friend of mine advised that apart from Diving/Snorkeling Hurghada hasnt much to do.

I dont know anything about Sharm except hotel names as i have been doing research on them. I dont require nightclubs or bothered about pubs, but love shopping for Egyptian items, require a sandy beach but nearer enough to shorkel. I dont mind getting a taxi, but its the area, is it very egyptian?

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Neama Bay is very modern...not much different from other foreign beaches.Sharm ...where the old market is,is a bit ore real.But dahab is probably your best bet to be more real and there's a lot of diving centres and prices are good.Try to get "Go Egypt" from the Go range series...I promise..you won't be sorry!

I wonder where the ES guys who lives in Sharm is....they would be able to assist you muuuch better.

GUUUUUYS WHERE ARE YOU!

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Madonna:
Please help me to make a good choice on my holiday to Egypt. I have been before just on the mini cruise from Cyprus to Cairo, loved the culture and want to go back for my 40th in spring 05. Before when i wrote on here Debbie said the Sonesta Beach in Sharm was a good hotel. We have read reports that indicate this, but could you help us further.

Firstly, is this hotel in a noisy spot?
-----------------------------------------
Sharm is not a noisy place so no the hotel is not in a noisy spot
--------------------------------------------
Is Sharm tacky?
-----------------------------------------
Sharm is definitely not a tacky place, Naama bay where the hotel is located is very upmarket in contrast with many mediteranean tourist resorts
---------------------------------------------
My requirements are for a nice fairly quiet good beach, lovely hotel near the centre within walking distance, but not in the dead centre if its noisy.
-------------------------------------------
It is in a great location and as above Sharm is not noisy. There is a lovely path that leads right round the bay for evening walks and runs parallel with the town. The town life is very much based around cafe society, there is very little alcohol on sale so you do not get all the resulting problems of some Med resorts.
---------------------------------------

Is it safe for women or will i get hassled with my husband.

It is more than safe the only hassle you will get it to come into peoples shops or restaurants and a 'La Shukran' ( No thankyou) is all that is needed.
Is Sharm the right area to see Egypt with a beach, if you think there are better areas with an excellent beach and coral, please advise.

Not sure what you mean Sharm is Egypt and yes it has wonderful beaches and some of the best coral and waters in the world. Naama bay does not have the best Coral reefs in Sharm but even so you will see amazing acquatic life in the sea here. There is much better coral though outside of the bay or at the Ras Mohammed national Park a short ride away.
However it is not about ancient Egypt and antiquity sites. Take time to go down to the Old Market town and you will see more of a real life Egyptian town but even day by day there we see many changes and improvements.
There are many activities in the desert including camle treks, horse riding, quad biking ( great Fun!)or you can take a trip to St Catherines and climb Mt Sinai at night.
I do not want all inclusive but B & B.

Great then you have lots of choices to eat and drink outside the hotel. Personally I we love to sit and take tea in the cafes in the old town at night and watch the world go by.
--------------------------------------------
Is there any good websites that can show how lovely egypt really is.

Yes do a search but from one who is biased here...... it is wonderful!
---------------------------------------------
I apologise for so many questions but this is the best web site to go on for info of this nature.

Thank you kindly.

Sorry to be slow replying just got one of those headaches where it is hard to look at the computer screen. Just ask if you have any more questions.

Penny

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my, whats going on here today???!!!! This morning Sharon Stone was online and now - I can't believe it - Madonna! Why so suddenly all these stars showing so much interest in this unique and wonderful country?

Anyway, you are going to have the best vacation ever in your life. Egyptians know MADONNA, of course! So Guy is going to be on board, hm? Do you also bring your two kids along? You really have too because Egyptians love children.

May I ask you a question: Are you really pregnant with baby 3? If so, I am very happy for you and your family. But, come on, you are a little inaccurate in making us want to believe you are only 39. The papers saying you already hit the 46 - but nethermind
as long as you feel young, right?

So enough of that gossip. Please give Lourdes and little Rocco a big kiss from me. Oh, and please don't shout out "Like A Virgin" on Sharm beach - the Egyptians not gonna believe it anyway!

Take care, Madonna, and have a wonderful and unforgetable trip!

Okay, people, who's next here on ES: Pierce Brosnan, Harrison Ford, Richard Gere..... no no give me Keanu Reeves, please!

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 27 August 2004).]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madonna
Member # 4631

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Madonna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could say have you a Dad called Bob geldof !! and a sister called Fifi?

Since i wrote the above about Sonesta beach i read a bad review of the hotel on holidaytruths, it says that its getting old and in desperate need of attention, has anyone any updates please.

Another hotel was Hilton Sharks Bay, but i should imagine thats very expensive in May.

Thank you for your replies it has certainly put my mind at rest.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Since i wrote the above about Sonesta beach i read a bad review of the hotel on holidaytruths, it says that its getting old and in desperate need of attention, has anyone any updates please.

Another hotel was Hilton Sharks Bay, but i should imagine thats very expensive in May.

Good morning, Madonna, you definitely mix me up with someone else.

But I stayed almost two years ago at the lovely Hilton Sharms Dreams Resort which is very central located to the beach, stores, restaurants. Its a big hotel complex in bungalow style, couple of pools, many flowers, really nice landscaping. Its just behind the Marriott hotel on Naama Bay, you only need to cross the main street. When we were there - it was November - not many tourists and very relaxing (the kid pool had bathtub temperature!)

If you like it more private and seclusive there is this wonderful Ritz hotel outside of Sharm. But it definitely costs you a little more.....

For whatever hotel you decide on - enjoy your holidays in MASR!

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 28 August 2004).]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I love Sharks bay it is very quiet and much better coral than than Naama bay. You would need to get a bus into town at night but most of the big hotels run a shuttle service. I have heard very good reports of the Hilton at Sharks bay. It is about a 10 minite ride.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madonna
Member # 4631

Rate Member
Thanks a lot guys..in sharm can you buy forgogive the spelling but cartouches, they have a meaning and are very popular in Egypt. I went to buy one last time in Cairo but the queue was huge and ran out of time.

Thanks

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thanks a lot guys..in sharm can you buy forgogive the spelling but cartouches, they have a meaning and are very popular in Egypt. I went to buy one last time in Cairo but the queue was huge and ran out of time.

Thanks

Yes loads of good jewellrey shops in Sharm, just put an order in as soon as you arrive.

Madonna
Member # 4631

Rate Member
Does it normally take very long to get the jewellery?
dr_judge
Member # 5223

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dr_judge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
How are you?
I have just red your profile I like it so much :applause: I think we have somethings in coman my name is Mohammad 27 years all about mein my profile just would like to add that I'm working as a judge and teaching part time in the university .. have master degree in law and a diploma in negotiation and crisis management studying my phd nowmy email is msaaads@yahoo.com .. I hope if you like that we be in contact to got a message or email from you ...
Goodbye for now and take care
Mohammad:bye:

Posts: 191 | From: cairo, Egypt | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
Member # 5244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi there
i just got back from sharm last week.....it was a nice visit, but not the real egypt, its full of italians and polish and brits, which is fine, but it just doen not make u feel like you are in egypt....its very safe if you have ur husband , you would probably be almost guaranteed no hassle from men, a different story if you are two girls alone(like we were) we stayed in the moven pich resort which was very very nice.....and right on the beach so well worth looking into...good luck to you....i loved egypt (well mostly cairo)that im going back in two weeks time, this time to alexandria....
good luck

Posts: 11 | From: london, uk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madonna
Member # 4631

Rate Member
Well i have taken the plunge and booked the Sonesta Beach resort in Sharm from the 27th may until the 3rd June. Has anyone been here lately to offer any information? Are the beaches nice here or are they shingle.
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
quote:
Well i have taken the plunge and booked the Sonesta Beach resort in Sharm from the 27th may until the 3rd June. Has anyone been here lately to offer any information? Are the beaches nice here or are they shingle.

Beaches are sand don't worry and will have a look at hotel next time I am passing

[This message has been edited by Penny (edited 08 September 2004).]

Madonna
Member # 4631

Rate Member
Thanks penny.

Another question i hope you all don't mind, when you barter for goods, do you do it everywhere on everything you buy in shops and markets?

Thanks.

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
quote:
Thanks penny.

Another question i hope you all don't mind, when you barter for goods, do you do it everywhere on everything you buy in shops and markets?

Thanks.

Basically yes. There are some shops in Sharm where goods are priced and that is not negotiable...there is usually a note on the door. All other places or anywhere were there is no price the you have to bargain. Tiresome isn't it.

Gold is one exception ...that is sold by weight X market price. Supermarkets are pre all priced goods.

Might be able to help if you have any specific items on what you should pay.

Oh and final solution to problem is get an Egyptian husband and never have to bargain again LOL only problem is you might find the price higher than what you save on the bargaining!!

Penny

wolfy
Member # 5552

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wolfy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi Madonna,it's Ali from jordan....i have been to Sharm tow times,i realy love it so much.......it looks like you are in the u.s realy.....
you will not have any problems if you wet there with your husband,so don't worry,you can get sonesta beach hotelor helnan shebard,i was in helnan.......
alot of forighners people are there,i was the only arab there....hahaha
have a good tip there.....you know,you will see alot of forieghners peolpe living there...
you will be surprised

Posts: 62 | From: amman | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com