EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Are Women Traveling to Luxor Alone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are Women Traveling to Luxor Alone?
Nefret-Iabet
Member # 4921

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nefret-Iabet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been invited to an Egyptian friend's wedding. Is,it safe for women to travel "alone" (key word here) to Luxor with the horrific happenings in the news? I've traveled there before with others, and did not give it a 2nd thought, but certain contacts are advising against it now. This trip I would have to go alone. Or, if anyone else is going there, please let me know. Any feedback. Thanks.
Posts: 11 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Memo2000
Member # 3996

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Memo2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Friends.
Read more about Egypt . http://www.travel-egypt.ha22.com

you can post at our new forum : http://www.ha22.com/forum

Thanks

its safe to travel to egypt any time dear .

Posts: 271 | From: egypt | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are hundreds of women who come on holiday to Luxor alone.

What dangers are you talking about. If you mean being chatted up and married by the end of the evening surely you know enough from reading these forums to avoid that. What other dangers are there?

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nefret-Iabet:
I've been invited to an Egyptian friend's wedding. Is,it safe for women to travel "alone" (key word here) to Luxor with the horrific happenings in the news? I've traveled there before with others, and did not give it a 2nd thought, but certain contacts are advising against it now. This trip I would have to go alone. Or, if anyone else is going there, please let me know. Any feedback. Thanks.

What horrific happenings in the news??? did i miss something??

I just came back from Luxor 2 weeks ago, i was there a week and travelled alone and I was fine. Wouldnt have any problems going alone again and probably will be doing often. The only thing I know recently was something about one balloon company landing a bit too close to the airport! Did something worse happen??

------------------
I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still here in Luxor and I have not heard anything. Can you enlighten me in case I fell asleep and missed all the fun?
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[I would say that Egypt might be one of the safest countries in the world for a woman to travel alone.
I have never felt unsafe in Egypt .

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
couboocou
Member # 5137

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for couboocou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I just got back from Luxor and although I was not alone and with my fiance, there was one time when I did venture out on my own, my fiance had gone out to buy some water and I wanted him to get some cokes as well so I walked out to find him on the street. If anything everyone was very helpful, not threatening, not harassing. People even pointed in the direction my fiancé went (had seen us in previous days) shouting Miss Miss, your husband went that way! and I found him. I do not think you need to worry, I felt very comfortable albeit the five minutes I was on my own. The people are nice and warm and if you are respectful and dress appropriately, they will respect you. I do often travel on my own on business and compared to London, Luxor felt much more safe. I was only a tourist, perhaps there are areas that are more dangerous in Luxor itself? Just stay away from that and obviously as long as you stick to common sense I do not think you need to worry. Enjoy!

Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScarlettHamada
Member # 4740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarlettHamada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently spent 2 weeks travelling all over Egypt on my own. It was safer than my home town in the UK and everyone was friendly and helpful.
Posts: 48 | From: portsmouth, hampshire, uk | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nefret-Iabet
Member # 4921

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nefret-Iabet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The dangers are the killing of Americans! What else?? I'm familiar with Luxor, its people and felt very comfortable being alone whenever I was there. HOWEVER, the airlines did tell me American women traveling alone may be targeted now since terrorists are requesting women prisoners be released (and YES, even in Egypt!!) Since all flights go through Cairo for me first, looking for an opinion, nothing more. I think if anyone on this board experienced 9-11 firsthand like myself, you would be more concerned and understand this perfectly normal question.
I took the "people's ferry every day I was there and felt ok doing it, and dress respectfully of customs there.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by akshar:
[B]There are hundreds of women who come on holiday to Luxor alone.

What dangers are you talking about. If you mean being chatted up and married by the end of the evening surely you know enough from reading these forums to avoid that. What other dangers are there?

Posts: 11 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have you not answered your own question ?

QUOTE 'I'm familiar with Luxor, its people and felt very comfortable being alone whenever I was there'
but maybe to ask such a question you are not 'that' familiar with egypt and the egyptian people ?

Posts: 130 | From: torquay . uk | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Nefret-Iabet!

I think you are quite right to be concerned after 9/11, as one of the possible reasons for it was that it was a reaction against American foreign policy, and due to your government making the aggressive response that they did using 9/11 as the justification, they have increased the risk to all Americans, both at home and overseas. The strongest response against American foreign policy is being shown in the country where that policy is being carried out in its most aggressive and degrading way against their citizens, i.e. Iraq. I am not condoning the beheadings as I do not believe them to be an Islamic response, any more than the scholars who have spoken on the subject do, but they haven’t happened in a vacuum.

As the American policy here in Egypt isn’t a physically aggressive one, I think that you will find on the whole that you are not in any specific danger here, although as is happening in America where some Muslims and Islamic institutions are being attacked by idiots who want to take out their frustration at the world situation on people who they associate with the people they are angry about, there is a slight risk anywhere.

My advice to you would be to check out the American Embassy advice for travellers as they will advise you on what they see as the best course of action for you to take and also let your government know how you feel about the effect of their foreign policy. Here were some links that I found that maybe useful to you. http://www.usembassy.egnet.net/consular/wm082504.htm http://travel.state.gov/travel/meu_announce.html http://travel.state.gov/travel/warnings_current.html http://travel.state.gov/travel/egypt.html

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nefret-Iabet:
The dangers are the killing of Americans! What else?? I'm familiar with Luxor, its people and felt very comfortable being alone whenever I was there. HOWEVER, the airlines did tell me American women traveling alone may be targeted now since terrorists are requesting women prisoners be released (and YES, even in Egypt!!) Since all flights go through Cairo for me first, looking for an opinion, nothing more. I think if anyone on this board experienced 9-11 firsthand like myself, you would be more concerned and understand this perfectly normal question.
I took the "people's ferry every day I was there and felt ok doing it, and dress respectfully of customs there.

Well as you experienced 9/11 in US and said that you felt no danger on the local ferry in Luxor Egypt. I think you have answered your own question.

More Americans have died as a result of terrorism in their own country than in Egypt. Egypt takes great care of its foreign visitors, I think your airline is scaremongering and probably watches too much Fox News.

You mentioned horrific news well there has been none in Egypt. You will have noticed that all the ladies that live here or have visited recently are completely puzzled by your comments. Have a look at a map and see how far away Egypt is from Iraq. It is not even on the same continent.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

[This message has been edited by akshar (edited 24 September 2004).]

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry nefret but i had to laugh when you answered that one. im not saying 9/11 was funny in any way, it must have been awful to experience that first hand, as it is DAILY for Palestinians in Palestine who have lost more people than you can even imagine DAILY (no you dont get all that on Fox news)But you did answer it yourself anyway. You are in less danger in Egypt than you are in USA from the murderers, muggers and rapists there, obviously if you decide to go to Iraq or Palestine then I would say you should worry as you will probably not be welcomed as much. In Egypt you will have no problems as you already know, the people are not stupid and know its US Govt. and NOT US people thats at fault. I am British, I have no problems in Egypt and my Govt just follows blindly what yours tells them to.

political moan over ty

------------------
I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
couboocou
Member # 5137

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for couboocou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
QUOTE: 'HOWEVER, the airlines did tell me American women traveling alone may be targeted now since terrorists are requesting women prisoners be released (and YES, even in Egypt!!)'

If you are going about your business in Luxor and taking the ferry, know you way around and are showing respect for their culture, and not walking around Luxor with an American flag on your forehead, how would one know you were specifically American rather than Canadian or English or even French or Dutch etc. (who spoke really good english)? The only people who would see your passport are the airlines and hotels when checking in and unless you fear they would sell you out to kidnappers I don't think you need fear what may happen to you on the street. As those of us who were there were not accosted as being 'American', at least never to me, I do not think it is an issue. If asked, just tell them you are Canadian or something.

As noted above, perhaps you should check with the travel advisory, the airline person sounds ignorant when no incident or even threats of incidents have occurred. Trust that you know more than an airline agent who perhaps never visited and does not know Egypt.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Memo2000
Member # 3996

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Memo2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello friends.
New forums about egypt .. Egypt news .. Egypt Classifieds .. and more .. http://www.ha22.com/forum

Posts: 271 | From: egypt | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shannierae
Member # 3657

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shannierae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since we traveled to Egypt during the month of August/September this is the warning we received thru e-mail.. From: Consular, Cairo X
Date: 08/26/04 07:01:54
To: Consular, Cairo X
Subject: U. S. EMBASSY DATED AUGUST 25, 2004

Date: August 25, 2004

To: The American Community

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARDEN NOTICE

The Department of State released the following Public Announcement on August 21, 2004:

This Public Announcement is being updated to alert Americans to ongoing security concerns in the region. U.S. citizens are reminded to maintain a high level of vigilance and to take appropriate steps to increase their security awareness. This Public Announcement supersedes the Public Announcement issued on June 18, 2004, and expires February 18, 2005.

The August 20, 2004 U.S. indictment of key HAMAS figures may be used as an excuse to target American citizens or American interests throughout the region. In addition, the Department of State continues to warn of the possibility for demonstrations and violent actions against U.S. citizens and interests in the region. Anti-American violence could include possible terrorist actions against aviation, ground transportation and maritime interests, specifically in the Middle East, including the Red Sea, Persian Gulf, the Arabian Peninsula and North Africa.

The Department is concerned that extremists may be planning to carry out attacks against Westerners and oil workers in the Gulf region. Recent armed attacks targeting foreign nationals in Saudi Arabia that resulted in many deaths and injuries, including U.S. citizens, appear to have been preceded by extensive surveillance. Extremists may be surveilling Westerners, particularly at hotels and those using rental cars. U.S. contractors may be some of the potential targets.

Credible information has indicated terrorist groups seek to continue attacks against U.S. interests in the Middle East. Terrorist actions may include additional suicide operations, bombings, hijackings, kidnappings and targeted attacks resulting in death. While conventional weapons such as explosive devices are a more immediate threat in many areas, use of non-conventional weapons, including chemical or biological agents must be considered a possible threat. Terrorists do not distinguish between official and civilian targets. Increased security at official U.S. facilities has led terrorists and their sympathizers to seek softer targets such as public transportation, residential areas, and public areas where people congregate.

On occasion, the travel of official personnel at embassies and consulates around the world is restricted because of security concerns, and these posts may recommend that private U.S. citizens avoid the same areas if at all possible. Services to U.S. citizens in countries abroad may be affected if employees' movements are restricted. If this happens, U.S. embassies and consulates will make every effort to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens. In case office hours are reduced, U.S. citizens in need of emergency assistance should telephone the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate before visiting in person.

In addition, U.S. citizens planning to travel to the Middle East or North Africa should consult the Department of State's country-specific Public Announcements, Travel Warnings, Consular Information Sheets, the Worldwide Caution Public Announcement and other information, available on the Consular Affairs Internet website at http://travel.state.gov. Up-to-date information on security conditions can also be obtained by calling
1-888-407-4747 in the U.S. and for callers outside the U.S. and
Canada a regular toll line at 1-317-472-2328.

quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
Hi Nefret-Iabet!

I think you are quite right to be concerned after 9/11, as one of the possible reasons for it was that it was a reaction against American foreign policy, and due to your government making the aggressive response that they did using 9/11 as the justification, they have increased the risk to all Americans, both at home and overseas. The strongest response against American foreign policy is being shown in the country where that policy is being carried out in its most aggressive and degrading way against their citizens, i.e. Iraq. I am not condoning the beheadings as I do not believe them to be an Islamic response, any more than the scholars who have spoken on the subject do, but they haven’t happened in a vacuum.

As the American policy here in Egypt isn’t a physically aggressive one, I think that you will find on the whole that you are not in any specific danger here, although as is happening in America where some Muslims and Islamic institutions are being attacked by idiots who want to take out their frustration at the world situation on people who they associate with the people they are angry about, there is a slight risk anywhere.

My advice to you would be to check out the American Embassy advice for travellers as they will advise you on what they see as the best course of action for you to take and also let your government know how you feel about the effect of their foreign policy. Here were some links that I found that maybe useful to you. http://www.usembassy.egnet.net/consular/wm082504.htm http://travel.state.gov/travel/meu_announce.html http://travel.state.gov/travel/warnings_current.html http://travel.state.gov/travel/egypt.html

Posts: 16 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although that letter was sent out from the American Embassy in Cairo if you notice it is a general letter for the whole of the Middle East and North Africa, it would be useful to read the other links that I posted as well to get a clearer picture of the specific situation in Egypt as the letter suggests.
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in Luxor and was there on 9/11. Even on that day I was in no danger. In Luxor I am always safe.

At present I am in England. Now I have reason to be nervous. I will be pleased to get back to Luxor where I can walk through the streets in safety again.

Don't worry. Whatever nationility you are the Egyptians will welcome you.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foreigngirl
Member # 4054

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreigngirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have American friends that went and are in Egypt right now, and they are fine and enjoying it. People can act scared and stay in their little shell, and then get runned over by a car or get killed by a psychopath.
quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:
I live in Luxor and was there on 9/11. Even on that day I was in no danger. In Luxor I am always safe.

At present I am in England. Now I have reason to be nervous. I will be pleased to get back to Luxor where I can walk through the streets in safety again.

Don't worry. Whatever nationility you are the Egyptians will welcome you.

Posts: 145 | From: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mydream
Member # 4638

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for mydream     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have NEVER felt threatened when in Egypt - we walk for miles and do our own thing, we have always been met with help, advice etc We feel totally safe

Of course there is the exception in all countries, there are no guarantees in life - you could stay at home and watch TV - trip over the cat and break your neck!
Go for it and enjoy

PS
BUT I would not walk down my village street here in the UK at night.

Posts: 97 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
come.... enjoy.... dont worry!!!!
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wolfy
Member # 5552

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wolfy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by halim:
Hello Friends.
Read more about Egypt . http://www.travel-egypt.ha22.com

you can post at our new forum : http://www.ha22.com/forum

Thanks

its safe to travel to egypt any time dear .

Posts: 62 | From: amman | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wolfy
Member # 5552

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wolfy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi,it's Ali from Jordan,i live in cairo,you are welcome here,and would love to meet american people in here,you can contact me at ali_quza2002@yahoo.com or call me at 0122266363
Posts: 62 | From: amman | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com