EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Visiting my fiance in Cairo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Visiting my fiance in Cairo
Dulis
Member # 5505

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Dulis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fiance is on a contract in Cairo, and lives in a rented flat. I am not married to him. If I go to visit him, will I be allowed to stay with him in his flat. He has told me I would have to stay in a hotel because we are not married, and says there are security police an the apartment entrance who would get his work permit taken away if I stay with him. Can anyone tell me the facts? Lots of Thanks. He has been injured in an accident and I want to visit & take care of him, but he says I would not be allowed.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
couboocou
Member # 5137

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for couboocou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
I can only answer your question as a tourist who experienced this type of thing recently. You do not say what nationality your fiancé or you are. When I was visiting Cairo and Luxor with my fiancé, we were asked in Luxor at the Meridien hotel if we were married and that if we were not married it would be against the law to stay in the room together. We are both of non-Egyptian nationality and were extremely surprised as I am sure not ALL tourists in Egypt are married couples. Our travel agent worked something out and it was ok in the end. While preparing for this trip, I read in one of the guidebooks that smaller family run Egyptian hotels may not want to rent out rooms to non-married couples but that big international hotel chains would not make a situation out of it. In the case of the Meridien (a big intl. chain), either the reception guy just wanted some money and made a situation out of it or was deeply law abiding. I have read other posts on this site that said non-married couples staying in flats was extremely tricky, especially if one of you is egyptian. Could the two of you stay in a hotel together so you can spend time together, if you are going to pay for a hotel room, prices are not that different for double occupancy or single occupancy.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read your post here. What security police? Either it's private guards from his work that are sticking their noses into his business and he needs to slip them some money.... or there's someone living in his bldg who's a "somebody" in the govt and that's his/her security posted outside. If it's the latter then they should just be informed that his "wife and daughter" are coming to stay in the building as residents and they would take down your passport number for their records- at most.

Or it could just be an overzealous bawab (doorman).

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for welsafty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is somehow strange< yes hotels have the legal right < and the obligation to prevent you from staying a a man's room unless you are married to him, but that’s only for Egyptian nationals, once you show them your passport they wont say anything
renting a flat means that your fiancé takes this flat as his residence, and either you were Egyptian or not, or her was an Egyptian or not, no one can tell you cannot you cant stay with him, you could be his friend, girlfriend, roommate, or wife( nothing legally prevents you from doing so) , the only thing that might prevent an unmarried couple to live together is if they were both Egyptians and they don’t want to see the LOOKs on the neighbors eyes, I believe if you did go and live with your fiancés, no one would bother you, maybe the only thing that could happen is someone thinking " look at those foreigners , living this way without marriage", and I doubt that anyone would say that when they see a 4 years old girl with you and they would know you are just a small family living quietly ant not harming anyone, it just happened that you have not declared your relationship as a marriage,
I am not sure about this work permit thing, but no work permit can dictate what and what not you do on your personal life, unless he lives at his company's property and they have strict laws against couples living together quietly.
It just may have happened that you fiancé been asking the wrong people for advice

quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
I just read your post here. What security police? Either it's private guards from his work that are sticking their noses into his business and he needs to slip them some money.... or there's someone living in his bldg who's a "somebody" in the govt and that's his/her security posted outside. If it's the latter then they should just be informed that his "wife and daughter" are coming to stay in the building as residents and they would take down your passport number for their records- at most.

Or it could just be an overzealous bawab (doorman).

Posts: 785 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dulis, I already replied on your other thread. Are you and your fiance maybe Americans?

If so, he's telling you totally crap, sorry. You can go anytime to visit him, also you can stay in his apartment as a visitor.

The security guys he's talking about are there to look after the building, they are usually used for buildings where some foreigners reside in (safety reasons).

There is nothing wrong for you as a fiancee to enter and leave the building anytime you want because you are a foreigner.

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 30 September 2004).]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philand teresa
Member # 2726

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for philand teresa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before we were Married, we stopped at Hotels in Cairo, Aswan and Luxor. We were never asked if we were married. Meridien are a big multinational Hotel chain. I would take up this issue with their customer care.
Posts: 119 | From: West Midlands. U.K. | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dulis
Member # 5505

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Dulis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the posts - it is great to have access to such kind and helpful people. I have posted further under Living in Egypt.

I am going to give it a go, and visit my other half in Cairo. Wish I culd get to meet some/all of you.

quote:
Originally posted by Dulis:
My fiance is on a contract in Cairo, and lives in a rented flat. I am not married to him. If I go to visit him, will I be allowed to stay with him in his flat. He has told me I would have to stay in a hotel because we are not married, and says there are security police an the apartment entrance who would get his work permit taken away if I stay with him. Can anyone tell me the facts? Lots of Thanks. He has been injured in an accident and I want to visit & take care of him, but he says I would not be allowed.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com