EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » What is Cairo like to live in?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is Cairo like to live in?
Dulis
Member # 5505

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dulis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fiance (who I am not sure is telling me the truth), says Cairo is a hole and that no Europeans live there, and certainly none with children (he & I have a 4 year old daughter), because wives etc only last a week in Cairo and go home. He also says he has been told all the schooling options for foreign kids are terrible. Comments please. Thanks.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sami16
Member # 4605

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sami16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fiance (who I am not sure is telling me the truth), says Cairo is a hole and that no Europeans live there, and certainly none with children (he & I have a 4 year old daughter), because wives etc only last a week in Cairo and go home. He also says he has been told all the schooling options for foreign kids are terrible. Comments please. Thanks.

Dulis,

He is just feeding you a line. If you read through this website you will see that there are tons of foreigners living in Cairo and even more that want to come. There are lots of schools for foreigners. I just read about one academy, I can't rememeber the name off hand, but it seemed like very good school. Sure there are some that don't like it and go back, but there are many that stay. It is a safe city so I don't think that your four year old would have a problem. I hate to say this but it sounds like he doesn't want you to come there. You need to find out why that is. I don't think it is because you wouldn't like it, although there would be an initial culture shock adjustment.

Take care. Sue

Posts: 20 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egypt_Canada
Member # 5408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egypt_Canada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I won't live in Cairo as well.
But Egypt is not Cairo; I love Alexandria, not just because I was born there, its cleaner , not busy or smoky as Cairo.

Also there are good schools for foreigners in Alex, like San Mark. (King Hussein of Jordan, and the Queen of Spain had their education on that school)

Go Alex

Posts: 51 | From: SaskCold, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WELSHLADYUK
Member # 5356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WELSHLADYUK   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many foreign people live in Cairo, there are many westerners livig here mostly in places such as Maadi, Zamalek. Im from UK and akso recommend a lot of good private english schools here (smaller classes too). Similar to London except much more crowded, dusty and at times hot - but people do live and work here and I myself find no problem. In fact it is less hassle in Cairo then a lot of other parts of Egypt so dont let others put you off. On the negative part not much for young kids to do here though unless you join private clubs or mix with the expats here.
Posts: 203 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
veigapaula
Member # 1651

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for veigapaula   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fiance? But you already have a 4 year old? And you are planning just NOW to move there? And you ask if you should believe him?

He is not truthful to you in anything...All replies here are correct dispite personal tastes of liking or disliking Cairo.

Cairo is a normal metropole with millions of inhabitants from all kinds of nationalities and all kinds of schools.

You should have asked these questions BEFORE having a child...

You have an enourmous responsability for the rest of your life and worse, with the certainty that you were fooled by the person you seem to love.

Good luck!And always ask BEFORE you leap!With the internet you all the world at your display to answer your doubts...

Posts: 38 | From: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by veigapaula:
Fiance? But you already have a 4 year old? And you are planning just NOW to move there? And you ask if you should believe him?

He is not truthful to you in anything...All replies here are correct dispite personal tastes of liking or disliking Cairo.

Cairo is a normal metropole with millions of inhabitants from all kinds of nationalities and all kinds of schools.

You should have asked these questions BEFORE having a child...

You have an enourmous responsability for the rest of your life and worse, with the certainty that you were fooled by the person you seem to love.

Good luck!And always ask BEFORE you leap!With the internet you all the world at your display to answer your doubts...

One moment here, veigapaula, you come around very harsh.......

Did it ever come into your mind that she might had the child by someone else and is now engaged to the mentioned person?

Anyway you totally missed the topic here.

Hopefully you will make the right decisions in your life and will not get remarks like that in the future. Dulis will have the best chance now to find out by herself how much valuable her relationship to this man is.

Good luck, Dulis! I already answered to your other threads.

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 05 October 2004).]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Also I found on Amazon.Com a book called "Cairo: The Family Guide" published by the American University in Cairo Press.

Its worth having a look into if you seriously considering moving there.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:

Also I found on Amazon.Com a book called "Cairo: The Family Guide" published by the American University in Cairo Press.

That's a very good one. AUC Press also published another one called "Cairo, the Practical Guide" that deals with all the initial questions of setting up a home here.

Oh, and btw, I'm a foreigner living here and I love it.

[This message has been edited by Dalia (edited 05 October 2004).]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asiaq
Member # 4323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for asiaq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cario is great.... never sleep

[This message has been edited by asiaq (edited 05 October 2004).]

Posts: 363 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by veigapaula:

Veigapaula.... I agree with you and I personally think Lily missed the point. The wording on the first post was

quote:
(he & I have a 4 year old daughter)
. People don't say he and I have a daughter if you are only engaged and the daughter isn't parented by the other person biologically... unless perhaps they are living together in her country and she has had this child prior...then maybe, but I don't think so... not considering the way she wrote it makes it sound much more likely that the child is THEIRS and they have been engaged for something like 4 years....which is unheard of here.... I think. I think he's been feeding her a line since she got pregnant. If the guy is living abroad with her, and has been for nearly 4 years, my first thought is why "engaged" for so long, second is why doesn't he want her in Cairo. If he isn't living abroad with her, then my first question is Why doesn't he want her in Cairo and there are just too many possibilities to answer that one.

So please Dulis, give us more information so we (I) don't jump to any more conclusions. OK? Thanks.... we really want to understand.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com