EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » HRG during ramadan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HRG during ramadan
thirtysomething
Member # 5506

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for thirtysomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there! I'm posting the first time on ES. Have been reading the messages, comments and advises with great interest and sometimes with a big smile! Wonder if you could give me a hint: is it really a bad idea to go to HRG during ramadan? I have been there severel times the last years, manely for diving, but realised that my next holiday in november falls in ramadan.... Some egyptien friends told me to postbone my trip. What do you think?
Posts: 29 | From: switzerland | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thirtysomething:
Hi there! I'm posting the first time on ES. Have been reading the messages, comments and advises with great interest and sometimes with a big smile! Wonder if you could give me a hint: is it really a bad idea to go to HRG during ramadan? I have been there severel times the last years, manely for diving, but realised that my next holiday in november falls in ramadan.... Some egyptien friends told me to postbone my trip. What do you think?

Hurgadah is a tourist resort and does not stop functioning because it is Ramadan. The hotels still operate as usual and would not expect you to change your daily eating habits in anyway. You can help in return by dressing modestly..not wearing bikini and especially not thongs and understand that at about 5.10 in the eve is the breaking of the fast so not ask for service at this time. Other than that go ahead and have a good holiday. Egypt would have a big problem if no tourist came for one whole month each year!

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thirtysomething
Member # 5506

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for thirtysomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Penny! That's actuelly what I thought, before my friends started to give me their advise.... I never walk around half naked and have a lot of respect for the egyptien/muslim way of living. I alway stay in a self-catering appartment, not in a hotel - but having read your post, I'm sure I will spend a great holiday as allways. I might even try not to eat during the day either.... why not?

Posts: 29 | From: switzerland | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thanks Penny! That's actuelly what I thought, before my friends started to give me their advise.... I never walk around half naked and have a lot of respect for the egyptien/muslim way of living. I alway stay in a self-catering appartment, not in a hotel - but having read your post, I'm sure I will spend a great holiday as allways. I might even try not to eat during the day either.... why not?

Have a good hols, I find in anycase due to the heat I don't want to eat much in the day so it is no problem to match my eating habits to my husbands. I do still drink water though so take care not to get dehydrated as that is a sure way to end up sick when you are not used to the heat. Also if you are diving think carefully about what energy you need.

All the best Penny

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MotherEgypt
Member # 3700

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MotherEgypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello ,,,
if you are really into diving let me know i can help you a lot and just take you to some decent dives in hurghada ,,,well bigblue125@yahoo,com

Posts: 565 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thirtysomething
Member # 5506

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for thirtysomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks MotherEgypt! So you're living in HRG?
I'll send you an e-mail if I need any assistance.
Once more about ramadan...somebody told me it started october 26th, on ES I read it start october 14th or 15th.....What's right?

bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only problem you might get during Ramadan is not being able to get a bus during breakfast!! There are, however,a few Christian bus drivers around!!
I'm a muslim and a diving instructor in Hurghada... last year was my first Ramadan here, and I hadheadaches for the first 2 days.. then no problem!! Its the water I missed not food! Have a lovely stay!!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Once more about ramadan...somebody told me it started october 26th, on ES I read it start october 14th or 15th.....What's right?

The person who told you this told you the date that Ramadan started last year, but as the Islamic calendar works on lunar, not solar months it moves forward about 10 days every year on the Gregorian calendar. So it Ramadan will start around the 14th/15th October this year dependent upon the sighting of the new moon.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thirtysomething
Member # 5506

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for thirtysomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all ever so much! I already start to feel at home on ES, even if I just posted something for the very first time yesterday!
I can imagine that not drinking is the thoughest thing during ramadan....I quite often don't eat during the day because I'm to busy, but not even one little sip of water - must be real hard....

Megypt
Member # 5023

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Megypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious but do the resorts still allow women to sunbathe topless during ramadan?
Posts: 25 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hurghada allows anybody anything.... unfortunately!!!!!
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megypt
Member # 5023

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even during Ramadan?
Posts: 25 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thirtysomething
Member # 5506

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for thirtysomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personnally woulden't even dream of sunbathing topless in Egypt.... Some people are really suffering from a severe lack of respect. That's one of the reasons why I prefer not to stay in a hotel where I have to see all theses incredible behaviours!
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Megypt:
Even during Ramadan?

Yes even during Ramadan and dont you think thongs are just as disgusting? I feel so sorry for those men who are fasting and still having to do their jobs...reading their Koran when time permits and surrounded by these sights.

asiaq
Member # 4323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for asiaq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 363 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com