EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Taba

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Taba
Globalbum
Member # 5565

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Globalbum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a good time to Visit Taba or the Sinai right now. Tourism is going to be very bad for some time... It was only a matter of time before these &^%$# got to it.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loborules
Member # 5457

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for loborules     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
still going ... at least if i die I will die loving what I wanted to do.... see Egypt and travel
Posts: 816 | From: On top of a dog house | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I am very sad about what happened in Taba. What some stupid people did will have pain and suffering for many Egyptian people as Egypt has a big tourism industry.

My condolences go out to the families of the victims.

I am shattered that something like that happened in Egypt again; in the country I love so much.

Killing of people is not the answer, its not an option.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The hotel is almost on top of the border iSRAELI and was a known target in the Palestine/Israeli problem. It does not affect the rest of Egypt which is a wonderful, safe and secure place.

RELAX AND ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAY HERE.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Globalbum - did you join this Egyptian forum especially to frighten people away from Egypt.
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:
The hotel is almost on top of the border iSRAELI and was a known target in the Palestine/Israeli problem. It does not affect the rest of Egypt which is a wonderful, safe and secure place.

RELAX AND ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAY HERE.

I don't think its the issue here, LL. If terrorists are able to plan and execute such an awful attack - and its doesn't matter in this case who they are after - then you see how vulnerable and unsafe Egypt is.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlittle
Member # 5105

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlittle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the take from an intelligence newsletter that I receive:

Summary

A series of explosions in Egyptian resort areas in the Sinai Peninsula
on
Oct. 7 left dozens dead and scores injured. While Hamas reportedly
claimed
the attack, it looks more like the work of Islamist militants from
Egypt or
al Qaeda-linked militants, targeting the Egyptian tourism industry.
Like the
Egyptian response after the 1997 Luxor attack, Cairo will strike
swiftly to
prevent damage to the tourist industry and to pre-empt further attacks
on
Egyptian soil.

Analysis

A series of explosions have taken place in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula at
the
resort areas of Taba, Nuweiba and Ras al-Shitan late Oct. 7. In Taba, a
large
explosion at the Hilton Hotel, thought to be a suicide bomb or car bomb
blast, knocked down some interior walls and the ceiling in the lobby
area and
caused dozens of casualties. There are some reports that 10 floors near
the
explosion site collapsed, and electricity in the area is reportedly
out.

There is little information thus far on the other explosions -- there
were
even some reports that they did not take place -- but Egyptian media
later
reported seven casualties. The areas of Nuweiba and Ras al-Shitan have
weak
and limited security, a recent traveler to the resort towns reported,
but the
general impression by the Israeli tourists who frequent the area was --
as
the towns gain most of their revenue from foreign tourists -- they were
relatively safe, despite their location on the Sinai Peninsula.

This has the immediate potential to create a new level of tensions
between
Israel and Egypt, as well as unnerve the Egyptian leadership. Cairo has
worked long and hard to keep Islamist militancy under wraps,
particularly
after the November 1997 Luxor attack by Gamaa al-Islamiyah that left 70
dead,
including 58 foreign tourists. For Cairo, this is doubly troubling,
given the
ongoing preparation for the death of President Hosni Mubarak and the
likely
transfer of power to his son.

On Sept. 9, the Israeli Foreign Ministry warned citizens against travel
to
the Sinai Peninsula. "A concrete possibility has emerged that
terrorists will
try to attack tourist centers in Egypt, especially the Sinai," the
ministry
cautioned.

There are some initial reports that Hamas has claimed responsibility
for the
attacks. As a result of crackdowns on Hamas militants and leadership in
recent months the group has responded with a series of threats against
Israel
and Israeli targets -- most recently with the twin suicide bombing of
buses
in Beersheba, which was followed Sept. 21 by a threat to stage more
suicide
bombings in response to Israeli's latest air strikes.

While Hamas may have claimed the attack, al Qaeda-related militants are
also
interested in attacks in the area, which would not only strike out at
Israel
but also punish Egypt for its cooperation with the United States. In an
Oct.
1 audiotape released by al Qaeda's number two, Ayman al-Zawahiri, the
al
Qaeda leader called on Islamist militants to rise up and look to the
Palestinians for examples. He also urged them not to wait for the
United
States or others to invade or attack them, but to take the offensive. A
strike at Israelis gathered at resorts during a holiday in Egypt not
only
takes the fight to the Israelis abroad, it also has the potential to
strain
ties between Egypt and Israel, potentially raising support inside Egypt
for
the Islamist cause as tensions mount.

The ball is now in Egypt's court. If the attack was limited to Taba, it
would
simply represent an overextension of Hamas, just across the border. But
with
the other attacks in Nuweiba and Ras al-Shitan, it represents an attack
not
only against Israel but against the entire Egyptian tourist industry,
and the
response will be as far reaching as that after Luxor. Egypt will crack
down
harshly on Islamist radicals and militants in Egypt, and cooperate with
Israel on Hamas.

Posts: 33 | From: Beirut | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:

I don't think its the issue here, LL. If terrorists are able to plan and execute such an awful attack - and its doesn't matter in this case who they are after - then you see how vulnerable and unsafe Egypt is.

tigerlily, EVERYWHERE is vulnerable and unsafe by those terms. If this is going to happen in any place in the world it can, you only have to look at 911 for that, a country that thought it was safe from anything and anyone!
Egypt is a safe and wonderful place, dont let this stop you from visiting, it certainly wont stop me moving there. Israel are disliked by so many, there will be attacks on them wherever they go.

Allah does not take you before your time, and if its our time nothing can stop that no matter where you are .

------------------
I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:

tigerlily, EVERYWHERE is vulnerable and unsafe by those terms. If this is going to happen in any place in the world it can, you only have to look at 911 for that, a country that thought it was safe from anything and anyone!
Egypt is a safe and wonderful place, dont let this stop you from visiting, it certainly wont stop me moving there. Israel are disliked by so many, there will be attacks on them wherever they go.

Allah does not take you before your time, and if its our time nothing can stop that no matter where you are .

I truly see we have different meaning of life itself. I believe if God wants to take us from this world its fine, we have to accept, but you can't really say that it was time for these tourists - Israelis or not - men, women and even children - to be taken away from this world like that.

Yes, its true Israelis are disliked by many..... many Arabs.

I personally don't have anything against Israelis I have to be ashamed of what my country did to them 60, 65 years ago.

But what can I expect of an Egyptian board. Of course you'll find people justifying what happened last night ...... and sympathising inside.

Again, killing is not an answer.

This attack won't let me stop from visiting Egypt and living again there but for the 'typical' tourist Egypt will be a red flag. Germans will prefer Mallorca and Greece again more, I guess......

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Nobody was dismissing Israelis all that was indicated was that with Taba being so near the border (yards away rather than miles) that it is part of an on-going conflict and not something that has been perpetrated by the Egyptian people.

Despite the trouble the British Foreign Office has not changed its advice over Egypt - it is considered a safe country. The BBC said that even the flights into Taba have not been affected. Therefore, it should have no affect whatsoever on Sharm, Luxor, Aswan or Hurhgada.

IT NOW EMERGED THAT HAMAS WAS UNLIKELY TO HAVE BEEN RESPONSIBLE AND THAT THE WORK IS OF FAR MORE EXTREME FACTORS.

ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAY - EGYPT IS WONDERFUL.

frances
Member # 4681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for frances     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i felt more safer in egypt then in bloody london
Posts: 62 | From: england | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
So does everyone else who lives there.

The problem arises through those that live thousand of miles away and imagine the situation rather than being on the spot and knowing just how safe it is.

I doubt that I would walk through the streets of New York alone late at night in safety any more than I could walk through the streets of London. But I can walk through any town or city in Egypt without fear and without interference.

Nassrah Elleil
Member # 5434

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nassrah Elleil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok,then why were Nuweiba and Rus El Sultan attacked as well?
Posts: 3 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Globalbum
Member # 5565

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Globalbum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Luxorlover, I lived in Egypt between the ages of 5-12. I have traveled to the sinai for the past 20 years and have always had a great time with the land and people. I have many friends in Egypt. People don't have to read my comments to form their own opinion on what they want to do... they can get the same information from the world news. Tourism will be hurt for a while due to this action. I did not post on the forum to frighten people. How you could read that into my comments proves to me you are a pin head. "Take your stupid comments and stick them where the sun don't shine".
Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Globalbum - then you should have stated that in your first posting then it would have earned my respect.

The news is England is saying that Egypt is totally safe.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member

Well, German government just announced travel warning/thread alert for the Sinai area.

Egypt_Canada
Member # 5408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egypt_Canada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The attack might be unplanned; it must be someone had enough after 90 Palestinians was killed in the last few days by the Israeli.
Posts: 51 | From: SaskCold, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Following this attack I would think the rest of Egypt will be even more safe as security will automatically be tightened as it was when war was first declared on Iraq, However travel to Taba purley for holiday purposes must now be an unnecessary risk as it is so close to the Israli border.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chelle67
Member # 4442

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chelle67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will still be going to Luxor UNLESS the british foreign office issue drastic warnings against travel to Egypt.
I booked a holiday to turkey a few weeks before istanbul was bombed but i still went on holiday.
look at how many people go to Spain on holiday every year? you have more chance of being blown sky high there but it doesn't stop people going even when eta issue warnings.

Posts: 124 | From: england | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foreigngirl
Member # 4054

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreigngirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still planning my trip to Egypt. This can happen anywhere.
quote:
Originally posted by chelle67:
I will still be going to Luxor UNLESS the british foreign office issue drastic warnings against travel to Egypt.
I booked a holiday to turkey a few weeks before istanbul was bombed but i still went on holiday.
look at how many people go to Spain on holiday every year? you have more chance of being blown sky high there but it doesn't stop people going even when eta issue warnings.

Posts: 145 | From: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlittle
Member # 5105

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlittle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every indication I've seen says that it wasn't a Palestinian group. It was probably an al-Qaeda offshoot (whatever that means now) that received some sort of local help. I wouldn't change my travel plans, but it's not an event to be written off.
Posts: 33 | From: Beirut | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Globalbum
Member # 5565

Rate Member
Yeah right like I need your respect. Get real. I am not a person that needs to preface a comment about myself and travels before I make a comment about the horrific event in Taba.. I don't need to sound like I am trying to impress anyone with comments about myself. If that is your suggestion then tell it to everybody else who has a forum comment that before they have a comment to state their experiences in egypt.. Who cares anyways if I have been their many times. That has nothing to do with my comment about the attack hurting tourism for a while. No one else had a negative comment about some ulterior motive except you...Just keep reading your newspaper and believeing what you read.. While you do that I use my email to talk to my friends in Sharm and Eilat. Put it to rest and move on...
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Globalbum - I have intention of responding to you. I am more concerned about the dead and about Egypt's reputation that about your feelings. (yes I now that this was a response)

EGYPT IS A SAFE AND WONDERFUL COUNTRY. NOBODY COULD BE MORE UPSET BY THIS THAN THE EGYPTIANS ARE.

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 09 October 2004).]

bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with LL.... I have no intention of moving away from Egypt....I feel safer here than I ever did at home in London, and, yes, still the sun shines every day!!!
My sympathies go out to the relatives of the victims. May the victims rest in peace.

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepenwepet
Member # 2692

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shepenwepet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is very sad news for all concerned. I was in Taba last year and I would have thought the security there could not have been tighter - we were not allowed to even stop the car. If such an atrocity can happen there it could happen anywhere - but it certainly won't stop me visiting Egypt.

------------------
www.egyptsites.co.uk

Posts: 33 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I would think you are much safer in a country immediately after an attack as they beef up security so much. I suspect the Sinia will increase its level of security to that of Luxor/Aswan and the rest of the Nile valley.

There is no area in the world that is totally safe from terrorism but I certainly feel safer here in Luxor than I did in London.

I have been keeping an eye on the official travel advice sites and they haven't recommended cancellation of any trips.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LuxorLover,

Rise above the comments made by another member. Good grief, if you can't make your own thoughts known without someone putting you down, is this forum really worth it?

As far as Taba is concerned, I visited there twice, loved it and intend going back. Nothing will put me off visiting the rest of the country I love, live and work in.

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WELSHLADYUK
Member # 5356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WELSHLADYUK   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dreadful loss of life in Taba but Egypt just as safe as probably anywhere in the world, just got from Alex no problems there, Cairo fine too. Probably tourism will drop off in Taba for a while, office tells me a party of divers have just moved their vacation to Hurghada just as a precaution - however tourism will return and faith restored once more given time.
Posts: 203 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com