EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » A Friend of Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Friend of Egypt
GirlwithFreckles
Member # 5639

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GirlwithFreckles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone,

I am so excited that I have found this forum! I love Egypt and it has been a dream of mine to visit. (Since the King Tut exibit came throught in the 70's) I am so Lucky because I am finaly getting my dream and will have the pleasure of seeing your beautiful country in December.
I have lots of questions I am hoping someone will answer for me.
*In Egypt what is the difference between a 4 and 5 star hotel? I have noticed every country has different standards.
*I think we are booked in a three star hotel will this be a good standard?
*My guide book says US, Euro, and Pounds are widely excepted even prefered. Does this mean if I am shopping at the bazar I can pay with US funds?
Thank you so much for any and all help!
I look forward to visiting Egypt in 6 weeks,
3 days, and 18 hours! "I am counting down"

Posts: 5 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol_2004
Member # 5088

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol_2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow you must be really excited! Her are answers to your questions.

*In Egypt what is the difference between a 4 and 5 star hotel? I have noticed every country has different standards. *I think we are booked in a three star hotel will this be a good standard?

In my opinion a 3 star in Egypt is the equivalent to a 4 star in UK. Which hotels are you staing in?

*My guide book says US, Euro, and Pounds are widely excepted even prefered. Does this mean if I am shopping at the bazar I can pay with US funds?

Yes they are. If I were you I would change about $100 in to LE before you go and the rest Iwould change in Egypt as they exchange rates are much higher.

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carol_2004:

Yes they are. If I were you I would change about $100 in to LE before you go and the rest Iwould change in Egypt as they exchange rates are much higher.

Carol, you are joking, I hope! Whatever you do, DO NOT exchange money before getting to Egypt. The airport will have banks there to exchange money at as soon as you get off the plane. If you are not getting at least 6.2 Egyptian pounds for your One US dollar, do NOT exchange. The exchange rate outside of Egypt is going to be terrible and there is NO reason to have the money on you before you exit the airport.

Do exchange your money into Egyptian pounds while you are here, at Exchange offices, or banks. Either one will have a fair rate of exchange. The black market is NOT an option right now, so don't concern yourself with that. Do exchange money, and try to get the bank to give you some small notes... ie: one pound notes, five pound notes, ten pound notes and twenty pound notes. It is important to know that it is to your advantage to have correct change when dealing with a money transaction. Whether it is true or not, the Egyptian on the other end of the transaction will often times tell you he/she has no change. This may be in a effort to get to keep the change, and I'm sure that happens frequently with foreigners that think to themselves, "well, it's only 10 pence" or like that. Have proper change if you can.

Good luck and have a nice trip.

If you are interested in a site with answers to more FAQ on safety and dresscode and whatnot, please visit my site at www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net

Thank you.

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Girl with freckles,

be aware when changing money at the airport. We had problems at Hurghada airport. The banker didn't give us the right amount into our hands! Let him count the money shortly again and get a receipt. He was keeping the missing 150 EGP in the corner of his table. So even if there is a long line behind you and he obviously seems to want to finish the money exchange quickly (he even gives you a hand sign to move away - be aware!)

We tried to complain about this man but the person I talked to from a travel agency just laughed it off somehow. By then we were tired standing with three little children for a whole hour in the reception hall to wait for the passport control!

One of many unpleasant experiences I made this year in Hurghada. The tourism industry and many people who serving it changed - unfortunately. I was really disappointed about my vacation especially I have wonderful memories of the past years. It wasn't the same.........

Oh, and if you are taking the minibus and one Egyptian ask you to change money - don't do it. Especially at night they use the dark roads to rip you off. I learned the hard way and I heard similar stories from other tourists. I thought this could never happen to me since I lived for years in Egypt. But obviously Hurghada IS different than Cairo.

Maybe I look too dumb.......

Just beware and I wish you a great trip!

PS: I got freckles too!

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 24 October 2004).]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ge Ge
Member # 3868

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ge Ge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if you are buying a visa at the airport make sure you have dollars or english pounds.They do not accept egyptian money for a visa.

Have a great holiday you will love it.Egypt is a wonderful place.

Posts: 343 | From: Wiltshire, England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trixie
Member # 5112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trixie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in Egypt in Sept. I can tell you that the difference between the 4 and 5 star hotels just depend on the hotel really. They are both nice. But, the 5 star hotels will have more restaurants options, shops and things in them. I stayed at the Intercontinental in Cairo. It was very nice. 5 stars. I also went to Alexandria and stayed at a 3 star hotel. I was fine in that hotel but left the next day because the beds weren't that comfortable and the overall appearance of the room was a bit run down. Plus, it didn't have a pool. Again, it really depends on what you're used to. If you like nice hotels (no paint chipping off the walls & clean bathrooms) with great service stick to the 4 and probably the 5 star hotels. Also, ask to see the room before you decide to stay....especially if you go for the 3 star hotels.
Posts: 19 | From: Chicago, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lilly was taking the goodness of the normal Egyptian for grated it sounds like, and she let her guard down and was taken advantage of. I don't know if she looks like an easy mark or not as I've never seen her, but it sounds like a couple of Egyptians figured she was.

As any foreigner in a strange airport should do, be aware of what is going on around you. There are loads of police around to report such cons to if they happen, and if you are aware of what is going on, they probably won't happen to you.

In general, the average Egyptian is very honest and helpful.

And DO NOT ride in Micro-buses unless you are with an Egyptian you trust.

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Debbie, I was telling the truth and if you like it or not these Egyptians - and there are too many of them around in Hurghada - trying to take advantage of all tourists.

I had several talks with other tourists from different countries who experienced same things and worse. I also visit the tourist police this year and filed a complaint for another incident.

Debbie, since you are trying to advertise your tourist company maybe you should go and see whats going on f. e. in Hurghada. I believe that you are not aware that taxis are hardly around anymore and about 95% of all tourists are actually using the micro bus. So to say to anyone to ONLY use the micro bus with a trustworthy Egyptian - most of them would be stucked for hours on the side of the road I guess or would walk to and from the point of interest.

Things like that should be addressed on "Visiting Egypt" to make everyone aware of possible tourist traps so anyone can enjoy his well-deserved vacation.

Don't just turn a blind eye on these things.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com