EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Recommendation for western muslims.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Recommendation for western muslims.
Sumayyah
Member # 5009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sumayyah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I often come to this board - ask a Q and then go away. But today I thought, I'd come to give a recommendation to any practicing western muslims who come to visit egypt.
My recommendation: Masjid Amr ibn Al-As.
Why? The atmosphere is simply stunning.

I'm talking specifically about ramadaan, in the last ten nights (I'm not sure about the rest of the year), but if any muslims come to cairo during Ramadaan again, I seriously suggest you go to amr ibn al-as. I went there on the night of the 28th for solaat ul 'ishaa, taraweeh and tahajjud - and considering I was born and raised in a western country all my life, I have to say this was one of the most beautiful experiences of my life. I've been to many of the masaajid mentioned in the usual guidebooks etc, but none have compared to the atmosphere at Amr ibn al-As. Worshippers in the thousands - shoulder to shoulder - praying under the stars (its a classical courtyard type of masjid)- in the cool evening weather - through to the still of the night. The prayer led by an imaam with the most powerful yet beautiful voice, it was truly amazing. Never have I stood so long in prayer and had my heart moved by every word. After standing for 2.5 hours in taraweeh, the imaam recited the most beautiful duaa for 45 minutes (which normally would have seemed a long time for me), but it was simply so heart moving, even the imaam was in tears. I can not put the whole experience justly into words, but trust me, if you have been used to masaajids in western countries, or local masjids in cairo - just go to Amr ibn Al-As in the evening during a night of ramdaan and insha'Allah you will agree, that it is truly amazing.

(I know Ramadaan is a year away, but hey, the suggestion is here).

(p.s if you have no knowledge of the arabic language - at all - the whole experience might drag on a bit, so arabic helps.)

Sumayyah

Posts: 28 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farhana
Member # 3795

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farhana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that. I will keep that in mind when in Egypt next Ramadan. I prayed the last Juma'ah of Ramadan last year in the mosque of Imam al Shafeii, and in Abu Abbas in Alexandria for the Eid. I will definitely go here next year inshallah.

Barak Allah feeki.
Farhana

Posts: 606 | From: London, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com