EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » 5th visit Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 5th visit Egypt
mydream
Member # 4638

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for mydream     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just back from Egypt well a couple of weeks now!
Hi guys I hope you all have a Happy, Peaceful New Year. Sorry a bit late!
Like so many of you we love visiting Egypt and it is now our 5th visit and still want more!
We have in the past used travel agents to book flights/hotels etc but this time we did every thing on the net. Of course it was cheaper so any of you who are still a bit tentative about booking on the net - I say have a go! You may find some of the enclosed helpful.

We booked are flights thru ba.com (we like ba or egyptair) and chose to fly on the cheaper days, panic what no ticket?! just this a4 sheet of paper and my credit card? yes that's right!

We wanted to stay at the Oasis on desert road Giza ( we had stayed there once before) booking it thru totalstay.com - We were pleased with totalstay - thanks Gary I think you suggested using them. However this time we stayed in the hotel type block there and not the individual rooms in the garden and I had sickness (the first time ever in all my trips to Egypt) which didn't help. So any one booking in ask for the rooms in the garden. The guest relations there was very good and helpful.
Thank goodness I recovered to see the Pyramids again, it was as exciting as our first glimpse of them on the first trip 3 years ago. My friend went on yet another camel ride and wanted to stay on Moses for days and ride well into the desert to Timbuktu! but thankfully she returned after two hours.
We also used the free shuttle bus in to Cairo which was great I think it ran about 4 times aday.

We had planned to then go on the day train down to Luxor - we have already tried the overnight train but as we didn't sleep we thought it best to try the day one so that we could see the countryside. Alas the train was not running and as we had booked a lovely flat(again over the net) we couldn't hang around so we decided to fly. We found the Egyptair office behind the Hilton Hotel in Cairo and booked the flight to Luxor. Although it was more expensive it only took about 40 minutes!

We were greeted by the local taxi driver of the flat we stayed in again booked thru the net Villa Lostrise. It's a newly built property and all the furnishing were lovely and new. The fridge was full of goodies and we sat on the balcony to eat breakfast.So much nicer than an hotel. It's owned by an English lady and her Egyptian husband, they both made us so welcome and best of all they didn't hassle us to do this, buy that etc. It's on the east bank which is the side we like to stay. I love visiting all the Temples but I so enjoy seeing the Egyptians going about their daily work and business. The farmer would bring his cows out every morning, some one else cutting clover and then the call to prayer. What more could we want.
The taxi driver lived next door, he was helpful and I'm pleased to say he didn't hassle us either. So refreshing especially when you are 2 women travelling alone!
The little local transport vans the Egyptians use stopped at the end of the drive. We used it every day and was great fun and only 2 1/2 English pence!
In the mornings we sat on the roof of the flats to sunbathe- it was lovely and private. There was also a pool. We were sad to say good bye.
We called in to see the Sunshine children - they have all grown so much since last year and we couldn't leave Luxor with out visiting our two families. So many changes babies born, jobs changed, marriages etc.

We travelled by train to Aswan which took about 3 hours, we choose to stay at the Isis on the Corniche - bad mistake. Pool area nice over looking the Nile but every thing else was not good and we had Italian music playing all the time I mentioned to the demoralised staff "why the same Italian music?" Ah the manager is Italian and will not let us change it! Any how I spoke to the manager and said with a smile I come to Egypt to hear the Egyptian music - he said I am Italian and we play Italian music. ( i have to say his name sounded Egyptian!) End of discussion! So any one considering staying at the Isis then think again!!! We have stayed in many different types/standards of hotels but the Isis/manager was quite the worst I have ever met! He didn't even smile -and every one smiles in Egypt!
We have done many guided tours in the past and will no doubt do the odd few again but it was so lovely to feel free and wander around Luxor, Cairo and Aswan. As always we feel quite safe wandering!
As always we ran out of time!

Posts: 97 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello mydream:

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip, enjoyed reading your post. BUT I am jealous now, I wonder if the Moses your friend rode was MY Moses. He was very tall and very white??

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philand teresa
Member # 2726

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for philand teresa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great post mydream !!!!!! Thanks for sharing with us.
Posts: 119 | From: West Midlands. U.K. | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich5754
Member # 6495

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich5754     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your posting My Dream. Its only 3 weeks and 3 days until our next visit. We will be in Cairo (Nile Hilton) for 2 days and then fly to Aswan. We are planning to do the Lake Nasser Cruise this time.
Posts: 11 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mydream
Member # 4638

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for mydream     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Penny
thanks for your reply. I will ask my friend about Moses! all I know is he was VERY slow going but VERY FAST on his return - even on the main road!!!! I had hoped it might put my friend off doing a camel ride in the desert - but alas no - so it's some thing I will have to do!!!!!!! Has any one done a camel desert safari? I know lots do the 4x4 trips.

Philand
teresa
Thanks for your reply

and Rich5754 have a fantastic time. We have not done the Lake Nasser cruise yet - let us know how it goes.

Posts: 97 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi mydream

i spent an hour last nite telling all about our holiday but when i went to post it it would not let me so decided to hijack yours

wasnt the Oasis wonderful ?
we got a room right out the back , really quiet and peaceful .
really strange you saying about moses (the camel) as thats the same one we nearly booked guy was very nice and spoke good english too.we like to walk though so just sat and had a ciggie with him and gave him some backshesh when we left
we took the sleeper to cairo ( 1st class)......mmmmmmmmmm
NEVER AGAIN !
we managed to get a japanese snorer
but not just any old one , this guy would build up into a cresendo ! could of sworn he was dead for a minute and a half,but no such luck,was just taking in air for the next 1
as you know we are like you and love to do it all on our own but i still end up using thomas cook or thomson for our two weeks in luxor as it always seems cheaper to book a package then just the flight.
thinking of doing cairo and hurghada next year so might have to pick your
brains for (the cheaper) days to fly you mention . ahhhh flying , now theres another story .
but what a nightmare flight we had this year
bye for now
gary and sarah

Posts: 130 | From: torquay . uk | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mydream
Member # 4638

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for mydream     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gary - glad I could be of use!
Pleased you had a good time with the exception of a few things.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com