EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Excess Baggage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Excess Baggage
Nat
Member # 5041

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Nat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please can anyone out there help me on my excess baggage question…..

I’m relocating to Dubai from the UK, but am passing through Cairo on my way there – I’m flying with Egypt Air and their baggage allowance is a measly 20kg! There’s no way I’ll get all my possessions let alone my shoe collection into that allowance.

Can anyone who’s relocated to Egypt or even Dubai from the UK give me any advice. Does anyone have a rough idea what Egypt Air will charge me for my excess baggage or could anyone recommend a cheap shipping co in the UK? I’ve phoned around a lot of companies but the quotes I’m getting are way too expensive for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated….

Nats

Posts: 4 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there any way you can change the airline? Lufthansa, British Air, Air France and Alitalia (I only know these from experience) allow 2 bags 70 pounds each (around 63kg) plus the carry on.
Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nat
Member # 5041

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karah_Mia:
Is there any way you can change the airline? Lufthansa, British Air, Air France and Alitalia (I only know these from experience) allow 2 bags 70 pounds each (around 63kg) plus the carry on.

Hi Karah Mia,

I chose Egypt Air as they were the cheapest and can't get a refund - wish i'd gone for British Airways now

Hmmmmm Im confused though as I flew BA to Cairo at xmas and they would only allow 25kg - well at least this is what they're printing on the ticket. Where have you seen the 63kg was that what was printed on your ticket?

Posts: 4 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nat:
Hi Karah Mia,

I chose Egypt Air as they were the cheapest and can't get a refund - wish i'd gone for British Airways now

Hmmmmm Im confused though as I flew BA to Cairo at xmas and they would only allow 25kg - well at least this is what they're printing on the ticket. Where have you seen the 63kg was that what was printed on your ticket?

I flew those Airlines from Washington DC to Cairo (3 times) and back, and this is the information they told me. Also I flew British Air from Warsaw to Philadelphia, when I was relocating and had VERY VERY heavy huge bags that no one had any problem with. The standard on those airlines is about 60 kgs, and since it is a common knowledge in Europe, I haven't even looked what it says on the ticket... Maybe it would be worth calling Egypt Air and asking in person. I flew Egypt Air from Luxor to Cairo and I am 100% sure my luggage was over 25 kgs!

Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only take what you absolutely need, and ship the rest and/or bring as much back as you can each time you travel home. You will find that many things you think you must have can probably be purchased there for cheaper than the cost of shipping. For example, leave all your non-essential electrical appliances at home. You can buy new ones that will carry a warranty on them there, and resell them to other expats when you leave if they are still in working order. You don't need EVERYTHING from home the first year you are away.

Sorry to say it, but when you buy the cheapest ticket there is (as you said), there is usually a price to pay for going the cheapest possible route. In this case you will make up for it in your shipping expenses it seems.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The baggage allowance on most (I think all, but I'm not sure) airlines from the States is double the luggage allowance that is allowed from any other country, well from Europe at least! So a usual stated allowance from the States is 40 kg+ and Europe is 20 kg+. But if you check with the airlines they will tell you what the maximum allowance is before they charge you excess baggage fees. I flew from Cairo to London on EgyptAir last year and was told that I could bring up to 40 kg without any charges and that is exactly what happened. But I would sugggest that you call to make sure the rules haven't changed as they may if the flight is heavily booked.

I agree with Debbie, ship the rest, but I would suggest that if you are going to Duabai, check the wattage on the electrical items, if you can use 220-240w there, you could take your electrical items, but for essential ones make sure that they have agents/service centres there for your brands, otherwise it might be better to buy new when you arrive.

I would also suggest that you might get better advice about this from a Dubai related board though, as the laws and rules vary from country to country.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gerda
Member # 6364

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gerda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

When I am flying with Egypt Air Amsterdam - Cairo, in my ticket it's always written 20 kg but when you phone the Egypt Air office they always tell you, you can bring 30 kg...
I never had any problem and I always have a lot of luggage, they are very "easy"....

Gerda

Posts: 29 | From: Amsterdam-Holland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most airlines will give you an extra 10kg allowance if you tell them you are carrying scuba diving stuff...They dont check... most of them wouldn't know diving stuff from cooking utensils!!!
I do this and it works!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karah_Mia:

This is on flights to or from the United States. Or maybe Canada. And typically you get charged an additional $100-150 per extra suitcase.

HOWEVER Flights in middle east and Europe allow maximums of 22-26kg TOTAL. Extra baggage is calculated PER KILO. Prices are fairly similar. EgyptAir has reasonable prices for air cargo shipping compared to British Air, by the way.

Business Class/First class often allows double the weight.

They are absolutely positively strict about excess baggage flying out of Dubai regardless of the airlines as everyone shops like crazy and has extra weight.

I suggest you try finding a Dubai Expat board and see what companies/methods others have used to bring their stuff over.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nat
Member # 5041

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all your replies everyone¡K¡K.

I called Egypt Air today and although my ticket says I can only take 20kg they will allow me to take 40kg which is great!

I never knew you could take more than your ticket states!!!!!! ļ

So many times I¡¦ve been so worried that my luggage was over weight and that they¡¦d make me offload my personal belongings in the middle of the airport!

Thanks again everyone!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com