EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » luzor revisited

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: luzor revisited
lizzy
Member # 6630

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lizzy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we are returning to luxor next month- we last visited in 2000- does anyone have any tips for good places to eat please?

Posts: 2 | From: uk | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
j-lo35
Member # 5161

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for j-lo35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi
i have just returned from luxor again and i have found 7 days 7 ways a nice place to eat,also had a lovely chicken sandwich in Genesis in Karnak.

Posts: 15 | From: england | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stellalocal
Member # 4064

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stellalocal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i used to run 7 days 7 wyas for 6 years but we have left there now they are still advertising that we are there but we ARE NOT it is totally run by egyptians.The best places to eat now are The Lantern Restaurant at the bottom of St.Joseph Hotel Street an english owned and run place and the owner debbie does all the home cooking. also you can try the Bombay Restaurant opposite the 7 days they really do make a very nice curry and also have english selections to choose from all also cooked by english it is also english owned.The Snobs Restaurant which is located up a farm track is owned by an egyptian who has an english wife that is quite often not there to keep an eye on things as she is sometimes locked in her flat or she is nursing black eyes so the service is very slow it is extremely small and the food is not very fresh we were served tomato soup that was off good style and with tomatoes as cheap as they are over here there is no excuse so be warned.
The owner of 7 days 7 ways is ashraf and he beats the staff with his shoes if and when the mood takes him this behaviour was normal in egypt some 20 years ago but he is a control freak if you go ask any of the staff if they like him and he takes half of all the tips that are given to the staff.

Posts: 99 | From: egypt | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lizzy

i asked the same question as we went in jan and wanted to try something besides the ones we knew

the chinese banquet for 55le at the hilton *****

el gezira on west bank no menu but *****

cafe africa on west bank *****
and very cheap

movenpick *****
and a free boat there and back

we never made it to genesis but had rave reviews on there chicken

the lantern also rave reviews

tried some of our old haunts too but they were very disapointing

the ritz really bad now and left THE WHOLE MEAL

maxims used to be our fav but do not do tajine anymore, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, silly move as we spent a lot of time there before

john and johns was closed

gems the guy is still a letch

Posts: 130 | From: torquay . uk | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizzy
Member # 6630

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for lizzy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone- some very interesting replies!!!
- i have read that there is a restaurant called el kababgy? and anubis- any reports on these please- and what type of food is served at jems
many thanks-

Posts: 2 | From: uk | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jems do very nice fish dish's
when we went everything was very nice and would go again if the owner left !!
it was 1 of our fav places

Posts: 130 | From: torquay . uk | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moll
Member # 921

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for moll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can definitely recommend the Lantern, we had a very nice meal there.
Posts: 561 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com