EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » words in arabic i need to know?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: words in arabic i need to know?
Aj-07
Member # 6914

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aj-07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can anybody give me any words in arabic that i must know, cause i dont hardly know any arabic and by hardly i mean nothing lol, so can someone offer some advice or some words.
Posts: 18 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
josephine
Member # 6812

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for josephine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
salam = hello
shukran = thank you
habibi = my love (?)
afwan = you are welcome (reply for shukran i guess)
that's all

Posts: 18 | From: finland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Find someone in your neighborhood who speaks preferably the Egyptian-Arabic dialect and take a crash course. Also check out Amazon.co.uk and purchase a book with CD to practise the language yourself. But even if you speak only couple of words Egyptians will appreciate your efforts. Very, very friendly people. Good luck for your move and enjoy your new home!
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
somone
Member # 5435

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for somone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can start a course for traveler @ 4u Arabic School pleas check www.ar.4uegypt.net
or send an email to info@4uegypt.net
good luck

Posts: 579 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by josephine:
salam = hello
shukran = thank you
habibi = my love (?)
afwan = you are welcome (reply for shukran i guess)
that's all

Does anyone know anybody in Egypt that actually uses ONLY the word "salam" for hello? I hear tourists using it sometimes, but it was my impression that the word Salam, used alone was much more Hebrew than Arabic. Am I wrong?
There is Salam alLeukum (sorry for the mis-spelling - I know I bastardized it) or Sabah el Kheir or Sabah el (others), but I've never heard two Egyptians ever only say Salam to each other.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello... thank you....MY LOVE??? is HABIBI really the most important thing to know???
Aj.. take a tip from me.. learn to READ the numbers in Arabic.. you'll find this a great help to prevent yourself getting ripped off in the shops!!
Also..Lau samah't ..or min fadlik... please!
lau samah't also doubles up as "Excuse me" when you're trying to get somebodys attention (e.g.waiters)
Bikam da??... how much is this?
Keteer awy!!!.... too expensive!
Malesh... sorry!!
Ana ma araf'sh...I dont know!!
Ana mish betkelem Arabi..(VERY USEFUL FOR A BEGINNER!).... I dont speak Arabic!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poly
Member # 6851

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Poly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I never used 'Salam' as well, but I receive some emails (from my Egyptian friends) with 'Salam' at the beginning!! You can also use it as good bye.
Aj - there are also;
Aywa: yes
Laa: no
Sabah El Kheir: good morning
Masaa El Kheir: good evening
A'wez arooh ...: I want to go to ...(to a taxi or when you get lost)
Samia's tip about the numbers is important.. I am sure you can find it on the net.. Good luck.

Posts: 95 | From: Italy | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
josephine
Member # 6812

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for josephine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the reason why i said SALAM=HELLO is because when i was in hurghada evrytime i met egyptian people on the hotel or shops they greeted me salam.so i asked what does it mean,and they said it means hello.(they even thought that i'm egyptian )
i love the country and the people except those gigolo around the sheraton road.

Posts: 18 | From: finland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they said salam around Hurghada, it was probably 'salam walai' which is short for salam walaikum.. peace be upon you... the standard Islamic greeting!
But here.. they shorten everything!! The correct response is 'walaikum salaam'.. and upon you, be peace!They may shorten this to "wa'salaam"
Or they may go the whole way and say"walaikum salaama wa rahmatulah wa barakatu" and shorten it to something that sounds like "wasalam warawabktu"!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timbuctoo
Member # 440

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for timbuctoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"fee mish mish", loosely translated as "in your dreams, bud" can come in handy
Posts: 266 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poly
Member # 6851

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Poly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually it is 'fee el mesh mesh' - the one you wrote can mean that you are asking if the guy is selling 'mesh mesh' which is apricot..
Posts: 95 | From: Italy | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Attorney at Law
Member # 6396

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Attorney at Law     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello my friend,
I will learn you every thing u want when u arrive to Egypt.
Yaser

Posts: 94 | From: Nasr City, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cleo79
Member # 6962

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cleo79     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yaser12345:
Hello my friend,
I will learn you every thing u want when u arrive to Egypt.
Yaser

Numbers:
zero= sčfr
one= uāhed
two= ethnčn
tree= thalātha
four= arbāa
five= khāmmsah
six= setta
seven= sabbaa
eight= thamānia
nine= tessa
ten= āshara

and so on.....

"Salam aleik" is used to say "hello" to one person while "salam aleikum" to more persons!!!

Massalama (it means Goodbye)

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JYREETA
Member # 6739

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for JYREETA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HEY EVERYONE.THANKS FOR THE CRASH COURSE ON SPEAKING A LITTLE ARABIC.I ALSO DIDN'T KNOW MUCH.IT'S REALLY HELPFUL
Posts: 30 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AylaLake
Member # 6269

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AylaLake   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a really useful topic. Thank you to all who contributed. Just one question: it looks fine written down, but how do the words sound?

For instance: LAU SAMAH'T.

Would this sound like LOW (rhymes with COW or NOW) SAM (rhymes with HAM or LAMB) ART ?

LOW SAM ART

Or would it be LOW SAM AT (like HAT)?
Or LAY OO SAM ART?

Just curious. (I once mispronounced a Zulu word and ended up with my gardner cutting my hosepipe into little bits instead of coiling it up as I thought I'd asked him to do.)

Posts: 12 | From: Swindon, UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JYREETA
Member # 6739

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JYREETA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI AJ,ON A THERE IS A WEBSITE CALLED WWW.YOUREGYPT.COM I DONT KNOW IF YOU KNOW OF IT OR NOT BUT IF YOU CLICK ON THE GUIDE
THER IS A SECTION THAT TEACHES YOU ALOT OF WORDS IN ARABIC,ALLTHOUGH IVE BEEN TOLD BY PPLE THAT SPEAK ARABIC,THAT IT IS THE OLD WAY OF SPEAKING ARABIC,I DONT KNOW BUT IVE BEEN TRYING TO LEARN IT.TAKE CARE

Posts: 30 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com