EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » First Trip to Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First Trip to Egypt
Iolar
Member # 7157

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Iolar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, this is the first message that I've posted on this board. I have few questions which I would like to pose.

My girlfriend and I are planning on travelling to Egypt for two weeks in August/September. We are going to cruise the Nile for three days and stay in Luxor for another 2-3 days. We then want to spend our remaining week in El Gouna. We would also like to have a brief stay in Cairo to view the pyramids in Giza.

I was wondering what hotels people would recommend we should stay in in El Gouna and Luxor? Presently we are interested in the Movenpick Resort in El Gouna and the Hilton in Luxor. What did you think of these hotels? We are also unsure how we should travel from El Gouna to Cairo, should we fly from Hurghada or should we go by road/train? Obviously cost is a factor.

We are a young couple so we also want to have an active nightlife while in Egypt, so can anyone reccommend good bars, clubs and restaurants in Luxor, El Gouna and Hurghada? Finally, what is the approximate cost of a taxi journey from El Gouna to Hurghada?

Your suggestions and reccommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 5 | From: Dublin, Éire | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jentel_joker
Member # 7165

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for jentel_joker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi dear :

Im ready to host you and your g.f at my home with my family without anything.

When u decide,just mail me at :
Jentel_Joker@hotmail.com

Good Luck and Best Regards

Posts: 15 | From: Egypt | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahm
Member # 5411

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarahm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi iolar,firstly you and your gf are going to love it egypt is amazing,make sure you go to cairo to see the pyramids its amazing we have been to egypt 3 times and didnt see the pyramids till our 3rd time it took our breath away not sure if u have a hotel for cairo but we stayed at the oasis not far from the pyramids brilliant hotel lovely rooms and they have a free bus to town and back on your way u pass the pyramids in luxor we stay at the novotel we love it very friendly and the rooms arnt bad,not sure about el gouna we havent been,we went on a cruise the food is 1st class but a cruise just wasnt for us plus i wasnt well had a cold,cant recommend any bars or clubs in luxor we didnt do that,im sure people will be along shortly to help u with that, food wise in our opinon just try things its all differant and all not too badwe liked maxims or the one opposite which at the moment cant remember the name the food wasnt bad there but the owner is a bit of a letch,lastly whilst in luxor its worth getting on the free movenpick bus and going to movenpick there ice cream is to die for,hope ive been of some help sarah
Posts: 5 | From: torquay | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pe@rson
Member # 6764

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pe@rson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luxor in August???? You do know how hot it gets there, which is why winter is peak holiday season for Luxor.
Posts: 150 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are young and looking for nightlife then the Hilton in Luxor will not be for you. Its way out of the centre and very quiet. Try and get somewhere more central if you can. Having said that, nightlife is not exactly rocking in Luxor. Dont expect nightclubs and bars. The only bars are in the hotels in the main. And the only decent disco is the Tuthotel disco, which is mainly frequented by egyptian men, but at least it gets busy and they do have a belly dancing floorshow.
Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
puppy
Member # 6116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for puppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
movenpick is very nice hotel in el gouna. and el gouna is good choice..specialy after luxor..
if u want save money,u can take also 3stars hotel in el gouna, they are all good..
here in hurghada, i think famost nightlife places are papas beach and papas bar and calypso..
there is buss between el gouna and hurghada, 5le one way...but it not drive late at night..taxi pay something 50le? not sure..

u can go to cairo with good el gouna buss, it is 50le one way..it take about 6hours..there is many busses every day..

Posts: 263 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This week I did some tours for someone staying at the Hilton and they were so disappointed with it. They thought it needed redecoration and was shabby. Also it was so far from the main town. So if you want a 5 star hotel I would go for the Meridien, Sonesta or Sheraton. I know people that have stayed in all of those and been really happy. Alternatively you could stay at my flats www.flatsinluxor.co.uk

You might be better doing your trip to Cairo from Luxor as there are easier and cheaper means of travel. For example the first class train is only 36LE per person about £3 GBP or $6. Lots of my guests have travelled on it and find it great for the price.

Regarding El Gouna I have had several people come to me from there staying at a wide variety of hotels and without exception they all seem happy with their hotel. It is quite a new resort so the standards are really high.

Hope that helps

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iolar
Member # 7157

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iolar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks but were aware of the climate, we've been in similar climates before!

Posts: 5 | From: Dublin, Éire | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iolar
Member # 7157

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iolar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your suggestions re the Hilton and private accomodation but it looks like we'll be staying in le Meriden instead!:-) Are the trains comfortable and how long do they take? We just really want to see the pyramids and the egyptian museum, can anyone reccommend any five star hotels with a good location and view of the pyramids? Thanks:-)
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Iolar:
Thanks for your suggestions re the Hilton and private accomodation but it looks like we'll be staying in le Meriden instead!:-) Are the trains comfortable and how long do they take? We just really want to see the pyramids and the egyptian museum, can anyone reccommend any five star hotels with a good location and view of the pyramids? Thanks:-)

The Meridian at the Pyramids is good, stayed there myself in 2000 and throughly enjoyed it.

The train!!!!!!!!!!!! Well remember it is 9 hours so that can be a challenge. I find few people actually get any sleep on the skeeper train and they arrive at my flats shell shocked and knockered just dying to sleep. If you are one of the lucky ones who sleps on trains then this might be for you. The big downside is the toilets. You can get lucky and have a nice one but sometimes they are dire. The fluching system is fairly primative and if someone has an upset stomach (a not rare occurance in Egypt) and you go after them........ well I will leave that to your immagination. If you can afford it I would use the plane.

If you can't then a really cheap alternative to the Wagon lit Sleepers ($50 USD must be paid in cash) is the 1st class recliners. They only cost 36LE approx $6 and I get consistently good reports from guests that use them.

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
puppy
Member # 6116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for puppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fastest buss from hurgahada goes with 5hour to cairo..and it is good buss..and road is good..
i always travel at early morning...i feel its more safe time,than at night..

and how u come from luxor to hurgahada? do u have tour company trip?
local busses are not nice...and road is bad.

Posts: 263 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iolar
Member # 7157

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Iolar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheers Akshar, You have been extremely helpful. I think we will be going by plane to Cairo.

Iolar
Member # 7157

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Iolar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Puppy, our Irish tour operator will organise transfer from Luxor to El Gouna

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com