EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Faux Pas in Egypt?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Faux Pas in Egypt?
just_curious
Member # 7261

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for just_curious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 13-year old son is doing a presentation on Egypt. His class has been assigned an around-the-world project and each child has to choose 5 countries to "visit". One of the questions asks "What is the biggest faux pas a native of your country can do to a visitor?" It gave the example of asking a foreign woman her age. What is the biggest faux pas an Egyptian can commit when dealing with visitors to Egypt? He needs something really interesting and funny. And please keep it clean - these are children, after all! There is a prize for the best one in the class, so please help. Thank you!
Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiggum
Member # 7129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiggum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by just_curious:
My 13-year old son is doing a presentation on Egypt. His class has been assigned an around-the-world project and each child has to choose 5 countries to "visit". One of the questions asks "What is the biggest faux pas a native of your country can do to a visitor?" It gave the example of asking a foreign woman her age. What is the biggest faux pas an Egyptian can commit when dealing with visitors to Egypt? He needs something really interesting and funny. And please keep it clean - these are children, after all! There is a prize for the best one in the class, so please help. Thank you!

How about when saying goodbye to his foreign visitors, (a husband and wife), the Egyptian host (man), kisses the husband and shakes hands with the wife.

It is customary in the middle east for friends of the same sex to kiss at meeting or farewell, but not to kiss the opposite sex, unlike European or Amercian custom.

It is a social custom and has no sexual conotations what so ever.

I have seen many a European man, totally frozen with embarassment when this happens to him.

By the way you may have seen it on TV .

wiggum

Posts: 78 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i speak french so I know waht a Faux Pas is but others probably dont: faux pas is doing someting that is not socially accepted, that brings shame or embarassment on the person doing it.

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It gave the example of asking a foreign woman her age.

In Egypt that's not a fauxpas but very common, btw ...

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The question would be easier to answer if asked what are the worst things a visitor can do to an Egyptian host? I could name maaaaaaaaaaaany things!
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I was always very offended whenever Egyptian men (only them!) brought up what a good man Hitler was when they heard I am from Germany. I didn't like to continue the introduction......
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Don't give this info to your son - since this is not underage stuff - but once me and my Finnish friend - were walking on the street in Cairo, did some shopping and an Egyptian man came along and he said to my friend: "I want sex with you, two pounds".

She was really upset and offended: "What, I am not more worth than that?????"

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is to sit with your legs crossed and the sole of your shoes pointing at the host. This is equivalent to saying he is like the **** on the streets.

My husband was always turning my shoes right side up when I first moved here lol

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiggum
Member # 7129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiggum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by annie_81:
i speak french so I know waht a Faux Pas is but others probably dont: faux pas is doing someting that is not socially accepted, that brings shame or embarassment on the person doing it.

I am not sure if by following my post you are implying that I did not understand (I do speak french), or was it just a co-incidence.

wiggum

Posts: 78 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just_curious
Member # 7261

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for just_curious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to everyone who's responded so far. The kissing I knew about, but the shoes I didn't. Keep 'em coming!
Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
One of the questions asks "What is the biggest faux pas a native of your country can do to a visitor?" !

I am a little confused here because it wasn't ask about customs you should be aware of while visiting Egypt and/or being hosted by an Egyptian native.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com