EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Sept/Aug 2005

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sept/Aug 2005
hoppy1671
Member # 6376

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoppy1671     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, i am due to visit Egypt during the late sept and early aug 2005. I am to stay in the luxor Hilton for 7 nights following a 7 night cruise of the nile. I cant wait but could do with as much info as you lot are able to provide me with. I have been informed that i would only be able to bring a certain small amount of egyptian money into the country...........is this true? Also, i have heard that bringing either english sterling or american dollars would be better as it is worth alot more out there, how true is this? Are the nile cruises any good? and the hilton? I look forward to your replies and to visiting the land of the pharoahs!!!! Shukran.
Posts: 4 | From: Kidderminster, England | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pe@rson
Member # 6764

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pe@rson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
" I have been informed that i would only be able to bring a certain small amount of egyptian money into the country...........is this true?"

Officially I think you are capped at 200LE and the rest has to be in foreign currency, but that is not really inforced. This is to ensure the flow of 'hard' currency into Egypt.

"Also, i have heard that bringing either english sterling or american dollars would be better as it is worth alot more out there, how true is this?"

Yes this is true (also Euros) but try avoid changing money in hotels as they will rip you off.

"Are the nile cruises any good?"

They are fantastic experiences and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

"and the hilton? "

Very nice (as you'd expect from Hilton). You should google 'Hilton Luxor' and check the images.

Hope this helped

Posts: 150 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hoppy1671:
I have been informed that i would only be able to bring a certain small amount of egyptian money into the country...........is this true? Also, i have heard that bringing either english sterling or american dollars would be better as it is worth alot more out there, how true is this?

Last time I went I was actually in such hurry to get to airport that I went on plane with two empty hands and my plastic (Visa Electron). There are ATMs in all centres and some better hotels, even in Luxor I am sure, and it will depend of the conditions of your debet or credit card, but i really found taking out cash, Egyptian pounds, locally is quite cheap and very convenient, of course. Paying in Egy pounds is also wiser because when u pay in USd or EUR or GP pound is simply too expensive, then the taxidrivers etc will take the sum and "round it up" as is more convenient to them. Plus, if you pay in USD or EUR, you'll probably give out a kind of message "oh, here I am just out of an airplane and do not even quite know what currency your have here, nor do I care." The prices will automatically be "adjusted".
I even saw you can take out either LE or USD from ATMs, in Naama Bay, Sharm el Sheikeh, because they offer the option on screen, but I never tried so this one would need to be confirmed by someone who really knows--can you take out US dollars, paper cash, from e.f. Citibank's ATM's in Egypt??

I paid for anything, incl. my month's lodgings in cash that I took out from my account in Estonia, no problem. So I understand the desire to maintain flow of foreign currency into country but with modern communications and digitalised money I think this flow must be drying up fast now.

Anyway, if anyone would set up a normal export industry and use up the huge potential of the country, this question could be solved on quite another level of turnovers.
Enjoy!!!

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoppy
You will have a wonderful time. Nile cruises are great. You get to see Egypt float by as you cruise down the river. The boats are floating hotels, and all your excursions should be included in the price. Do you know what boat you are travelling on?
As for the Hilton, it is a pretty typical Hilton hotel. Its pool is right by the side of the Nile. It is a bit out of Luxor, but right by Karnak temple and there are some good local restaurants around there. Take a short taxi ride into Luxor itself, and I think the Hilton do run a shuttle bus.
Dont worry about taking in loads of egyptian money, just take enough for your first night, then change your sterling, dollars or euros at any of the banks, you do get a better exchange rate than you would at home. If you do want to use credit cards, remember there will be a hefty commission payable if you withdraw cash from an ATM. The Hilton will have a money exchange facility, but the rate wont be as good as a bank, but then again, they may have a bank inside the hotel, its worth checking it out.
Above all, have a wonderful trip. Dont be afraid of "going it alone" and dont take too much notice of everything the tour rep tells you.

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shareen:
If you do want to use credit cards, remember there will be a hefty commission payable if you withdraw cash from an ATM.

Just looking at my bank account here, paid about 60 LE for withdrawing 2000 LE, 90 for withdrawing 3000, etc, with a Visa debet card. Was OK for me, I sure appreciate convenience that much. Don't banks take a similar service commission or something? Credit cards may have separate conditions for withdrawing cash, sure.

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoppy1671
Member # 6376

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoppy1671     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all of your replies, keep em coming.......................im travelling with Panorama and am told the ship is called M/S Grand Star, which is apparently a 4/5*. Anyone any info please reply??
Posts: 4 | From: Kidderminster, England | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoppy1671
Member # 6376

Rate Member
anyone with info about MS GRAND STAR???? likewise anything you think would be of use to me before i embark on egypt, please post here..................also it has occurred to me that Cairo is a LONG way from Luxor/Karnak, what would you reccomend as the best way to travel to see the pyramids?? Money could end up being a factor!!!
mara
Member # 2693

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mara   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
anyone with info about MS GRAND STAR???? likewise anything you think would be of use to me before i embark on egypt, please post here..................also it has occurred to me that Cairo is a LONG way from Luxor/Karnak, what would you reccomend as the best way to travel to see the pyramids?? Money could end up being a factor!!!

Overnight sleeper train is very comfortable and costs around 65 US dollars. Other tourist trains are cheaper but it is a 9 hour train journey!

Posts: 29 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont know the Grand Star hoppy, but Panorama are a pretty good company. You shouldnt have any problems with them.
Cairo is a long way from Luxor, and if you are only in Luxor for a week, you may want to look at flying there. Your Panorama rep will have details of a day trip to Cairo, where they fly you up, take you to all the sights with a guide and provide all your meals. Its a long and tiring day, but at least you get to see Cairo. I dont know how much that would be now, but it is pretty expensive, probably around the £200 mark per person. But like Mara said, you can take the train, a 9 hour journey, and even if you did the overnight train, you will lose 2 days at the very least out of your Luxor stay. And then you will need someone to organise your journey around Cairo, but I could recommend Debbie who posts here.
I guess the choice is yours, pay for the organised trip or go it alone.

By the way, you wont need cash on your cruise boat, most of them operate a cashless system, you just sign for everything and pay your bill at the end of the cruise. Lol, I am sure its designed so you dont know exactly how big your bar bill has got! Drinks are expensive on the boat, so be prepared!

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hrhmyst
Member # 7821

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hrhmyst     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I've just returned from the holiday u are going on including a week on the m/s grandstar. Wonderful..can't fault it. Staff have a great sense of humour and will help with any needs you have.they even make shapes with your towels while you eat the evening meal.Buffet style breakfast,lunch and evening meal (apart from 2 5 course set candle light eveningmeals) so should be something you like.We had 2 days in cairo to see the pyramids and they are over rated..plus in the middle of a noisy,smelly city takes the edge off of any sense of the romantic.The temples u will visit on the cruise surpass the pyramids by a long chalk.I hope u get Basem, the eygptologist we had as a guide, he bacame a personal friend of ours in the end. He loves his subject and makes history live.Be ready for early morning wake up calls..but its worth it to avoid the heat of midday in egypt. Hope this helps.
Posts: 1 | From: U.K | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helenfield68
Member # 8160

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for helenfield68     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Posts: 2 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helenfield68
Member # 8160

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for helenfield68     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am about to book a holiday on the MS Grand Star - what did you think. Were the cabins a good size, how about value for money. Would you go on it again, how was the food, what was the cost of drinks like
Look forward to hearing from you.

Posts: 2 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com