EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Muslim Terror Bomb in Cario

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Muslim Terror Bomb in Cario
Morgan
Member # 6662

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Morgan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saturday, April 30, 2005 Posted: 10:07 AM EDT (1407 GMT)

The bomb was thrown from a bridge to the street below.

CAIRO, Egypt (AP) -- A bomb was thrown from a Cairo bridge to the street below not far from a 5-star hotel and the Egyptian Museum, killing an Arab man and injuring seven people, including four foreigners, authorities said.

Remains of a body, covered with newspapers, were seen beneath the bridge a few minutes after the 3:15 p.m. (1215 GMT) explosion was heard through downtown Cairo.

The blast happened on a road adjacent to a public bus station behind the Egyptian Museum.

Police said four foreigners were injured.

Security officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said two Israelis -- a man and a woman -- an Italian woman and a Russian man were injured.

The Egyptian health minister, Mohammed Awad Tag Eddin, however, told Nile News television that three Egyptians were injured and two Israelis, one Swiss and one Italian.

The discrepancy could not be immediately reconciled.

The hands and face of one of the injured -- a man with reddish-blond hair who was lifted on to a stretcher -- were covered with blood. Sitting upright, he held his hands to his face as paramedics loaded the stretcher into an ambulance.

On a nearby curb, two Westerners checked their wounds; the young woman's left arm was bloodied and the man sitting next to her appeared to have sustained leg injuries. The extent of the other woman's injuries were not immediately clear.

Though the bus station is used almost exclusively by Egyptians, the area is between the Ramses Hilton hotel frequented by foreigners and the Egyptian Museum, one of the country's main tourist sites. Normally, the station is teeming with people heading home from work in the mid-afternoon, but the blast happened on a holiday weekend.

Initially, police said they believed a car had exploded, but no vehicle debris could be seen in the area. A senior policeman on the scene, who would not give his name, said a bomb was thrown from the bridge above to the street below. Some witnesses at the scene gave similar accounts.

"I saw very loud explosion after what looked like a man throwing a bomb down from the bridge," said Mohammed Hasan Mohammed, 45.

Two rings of tape cordoned off the area where the body lay. Investigators uncovered the body and knelt to inspect it.

Scores of heavily-armed police, including riot officers in helmets and carrying submachine guns, kept away the crowds who gathered to watch, standing on benches and potted plants to get a view.

In a sign of the tension and uncertainty, police singled out a few youths to inspect the bags they were carrying.

The blast, about 100 meters (yards) from the back of the Egyptian Museum, not far from a 5-star hotel, is the second apparent bomb attack in the vicinity of major Cairo tourist attractions in less than a month.

During the 1990s, Islamic insurgents mounted several attacks on tourists in a bid to cripple tourism and bring down the government. The government has been anxious to limit the damage of recent attacks to Egypt's tourism industry, and has said the market blast was the act of only a few.

On April 7, a suicide bomber killed two French citizens, an American and himself when he detonated a homemade bomb near the Khan al-Khalili market on April 7.

In October 2004, militants detonated bombs in the Sinai resorts of Taba and Ras Shitan, killing 34 people and wounding more than 100. One bomb destroyed a wing of the Taba Hilton Hotel.

Police said the mastermind was a Palestinian resident of Egypt who was angry with Israel. More than 10 Israeli tourists were among the dead.
http://www.egyptdailynews.com/

Posts: 1223 | From: Home | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgan
Member # 6662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry forgot

Salam Aleikom..
Peace be upon you ppl.

Posts: 1223 | From: Home | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunted_Porcelain
Member # 7361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hunted_Porcelain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salam,,

I don't know what to say. I don't know if I'm worried to live in Cairo now! But I don't think I'll end up in some Bomb lol
I'm sorry for what's happening & I hope this would be the last accident in the history of Egypt. I still wonder why is this happening?
But I hope everything would work just fine if everyone remember to let peace lead the way..

Posts: 116 | From: Cairo - Maadi | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadya
Member # 7341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The issue is the president, not the tourists.
Posts: 52 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shadya:
The issue is the president, not the tourists.

I think we can all say thanks to Mr Bush for pissing people off and getting all this started, or intensifying it all.

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an intern problem of Egypt - nothing to do with the US president - and hopefully it doesn't become a major one again.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How, pray tell me, could someone who was being chased by the police be able to pick out some Jewish people who were below them from a bridge in the middle of Cairo, to land on deliberately??????

And it always puzzles me how anyone can determine why a particular individual, who they don’t know and who is now dead, committed a particular crime, unless they left definite information about why they did it? Even the title of this thread is a supposition!

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valerie
Member # 6806

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valerie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well.....there is no hope for me when I move to Egypt. I look Jewish, have been mistaken for a Jew..many times. FACT is I am not a Jew, have nothing Jewish in my family....so if these people target people cause they look Jewish...thats a tad scarey.......
Posts: 290 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Valerie!

As there is no evidence for this, just a supposition from kkkaaa, I wouldn't worry if I was you.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadya
Member # 7341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tigerlily

I was referencing President Mubarak in my comment.

Posts: 52 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valerie
Member # 6806

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valerie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Newcomer.......
Posts: 290 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shadya:
Tigerlily

I was referencing President Mubarak in my comment.

Hi, and I was refering to mysticheart's last message. Take care!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MARKHAM05
Member # 7497

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MARKHAM05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello i am visiting Luxor next week and am wondering whether it is safe to do so or not?
Posts: 15 | From: England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MARKHAM05
Member # 7497

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MARKHAM05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello i am visiting Luxor next week and am wondering whether it is safe to do so or not?
Posts: 15 | From: England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

It's probably as safe, if not safer than many other parts of the world. Where do you come from?
MARKHAM05
Member # 7497

Rate Member
Hey from England
newcomer
Member # 1056

Hi MARKHAM05!

How safe is it to be in London these days or any major British city? The world is a risky place nowadays and there are cranks everywhere, but probably less in Luxor than there are in Britain these days.

MARKHAM05
Member # 7497

Rate Member
Thanks Newcomer
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by newcomer:
[B]Hi MARKHAM05!

How safe is it to be in London these days or any major British city? The world is a risky place nowadays and there are cranks everywhere, but probably less in Luxor than there are in Britain these days.

Not very safe. There are many incidents happen here in London every day.
The Swedish and French tourists and that little 12 Englisg girls were raped killed in the heart of the city.

It is like anywhere in the world. I must say, however, the police here are more active than ours in Egypt.
British cops, perhaps, are the best in the world.
I wish ours learn from those cops.

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theresa
Member # 7514

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Theresa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going to be in Cairo and Alexandria from May 22 to May 26, should I be concerned with these attacks. I want take any necessary precautions for safety as I am an American. Any advice from anyone will be greatly appreciated.
Posts: 4 | From: Hartland, Vermont United States | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Theresa:
I am going to be in Cairo and Alexandria from May 22 to May 26, should I be concerned with these attacks. I want take any necessary precautions for safety as I am an American. Any advice from anyone will be greatly appreciated.

My advice, my dear--just try FORGET you are American or whatever. Your citizenship is really not so important to anybody if it is not to you, if you do not try use it as your value-adding trademark (because, at the moment, it is not). Try contact to people on a more basic level, like human-to-human?

(Real Egyptians here are welcome to confirm or repudiate, as appropriate.)

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kkkaaa:
[B]r u telling me egyptina walk around with bomd in their pocket?

it is most probably they knoew jews were there....

KA, for Allah sake, do not keep picking up a fight for every issue you read.
You know as much as I do that Egypt is the safest place on earth depite the recent incidents.

It is the place where Lady Mary and her son Essa seeked refuge and where the mother of prophet Mossa PBUH also seeked refuge for her son and where He was educated and received the message from Allah.

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EFLVirgo
Member # 6264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EFLVirgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nevermind:
My advice, my dear--just try FORGET you are American or whatever. Your citizenship is really not so important to anybody if it is not to you, if you do not try use it as your value-adding trademark (because, at the moment, it is not). Try contact to people on a more basic level, like human-to-human?

(Real Egyptians here are welcome to confirm or repudiate, as appropriate.)

Well said, Nevermind At last, I've found something to agree with you on

[This message has been edited by EFLVirgo (edited 05 May 2005).]

Posts: 372 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penelope
Member # 7434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for penelope   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey morgan, u raised a question ( is egypt safe? ) & haven't posted any reply, hope u r not sick or something, sure u r not busy, nothing can keep u from attacking islam, or an islamic country as if it's ur sole job in this world.
Posts: 219 | From: cairo, egypt | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penelope
Member # 7434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for penelope   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't worry ppl egypt is the safest place u can go to, I'm living there & know what I'm talking about, every country has some terrorists going here & there, not only egypt, & thank God no foreingers died in those explosions, so u r not the issue, those were proberly frustrated egyptians suffering from poverty & injustice who wanted to draw attention to their pains, so don't worry.
Posts: 219 | From: cairo, egypt | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com