EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » The Country of My Heart

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Country of My Heart
Vi
Member # 7515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone!

I've been reading most of the posts on these forums for more than one year now and I simply couldn't help registering so that I could join and share my own Egyptian experiences.
I've been in export business since early 8o's and my main customers were in Egypt.Even though I couldn't travel there till 90's(due to the political situation in my mothercountry at that time) I was fascinated by the Egyptians from the very first contact I had with them.
Really nice, smart, curteous, shrew, persuasive,generous,compasionate,beautiful,kind, smiley people.I fel in love with the people.Even though according to the dognmas, the the foreign business counter-parts were supposed to be our enemies and we were urged to keep the eyes as wide open as a sattelite dish, I really have never looked at them other than my friends, who I have respected and they respected me, who I have trusted and they trusted me, who I have helped and they helped me who I have loved and they loved me.
I read and studied as much as I could about Egypt, about its history, about its culture(both antique and modern) about does and dont's when in their country.I was like a sponge soaked in the Egyptian matters .So, when I managed to embarque on my first trip there, in 1990. IT was June and I will never forget the lights of Cairo seen from the plane at that hour in the night .I have said and I will always say that Cairo is the most beautiful city in the world. I dearly love her(no mistake, in using HER), with her amazing buildings, monuments, open markets,trees and bushes in blossom, sweet smell of the flowers displayed in front of the flower shops, in an explosion of colours, the smell of the roasted peanuts and pistachio sold at the corner from the small merchant's cart, the fresh smell of the "gambari" sold at dawn at the corner of the street from huge wick baskets,the smiling face of the stranger who feels you are a foreigner and greets you with "welcome to Egypt".Cairo is the place where I have often run "to charge" my batteries, the place which, from the very first glimpse gave me that "deja-vu" feeling:I know that, in another life, in another time I lived there.
I had a time when I seriously considered moving there, but I was afraid. I was terribly scared that once moving there the magic might be gone.I was afraid that once living there hardships of everyday struggle for a living might turn my love into hate.I was afraid that once a permanent resident of Egypt, I could notproperly fit in.
Now I deeply regret it. Every morning, when I drive to my office and wait for the colour of the traffic lights to change, I look at the buildings along the road and I simply cannot stop thinking: my God, they are so ugly.
Every morning of the long half a year winter, I wake up and I cannot stop thinking of the sun of Egypt.
Every store that I enter and noone asks me anything,I cannot stop thinking of the smiling friendly faces of the shop owners in Egypt who invite you inside, offer you a cup of "chai" of coffee and ask you about yourself, your family depending on how much time you have for chat.
These are just few things. I will come back and share more "to the point" Egyptian experiences , about the people I met there, about men in the tourism industry, Egyptian men and women.
Anyway, THE EGYPT I know is not as so gloomy depicted by some of you here. Once you travel there with your mind and heart open, with your homework done you will see the Real Egypt and The Real Egyptians, as they are: good, kind-hearted, funny,beutiful both inside and outside.
Vi

Posts: 15 | From: St.John's, Newfoundland,Canada | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kokokoas
Member # 7412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kokokoas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanx alot about your nice report..i guess i can call it report..you are so nice i hope that you can realize your dreams..
once extra,,what you wrote is a going to remove a lot of wat many others writing on egyptian in there black list..and as i said before this list is having in the same tome the experience of people they put themselves in another list...
Haha haaa
we welcome you in egypt as your second country in that big world
Saad

Posts: 36 | From: Cairo | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vi
Member # 7515

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Vi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes,it would be nice to change my fate but I have already made my choice and be it good or wrong, I cannot relocate again.It is too late. Still, I'm dreaming of the day when I will back in Egypt.My last trip there was in 2001 while till that date I used to travel 5-6 times a year.
The trips I made were on business but I never felt stressed, tired or upset.My Egyptians counter-parts and my hosts at my hotel have always made me feel at home.
I used to stay at the same hotel in Zamalek, where I was pampered and treated like a princess.I never thought that this had something to do with being a woman.It was simply the unmatched hospitability of the Egyptians.They knew when I was coming and they knew what I liked and that I had my preferred room and my favourite meals and my fvourite beer and that I loved flowers and I always found everything I enjoyed in my favourite room. No, it is not a matter of hunting the "sophisticated Western or European ladies" it is a matter of huge hearts and the joy of giving and shareing.
Everyone loved and respected me and I loved and respected them.I knew the name of the bellboy and how many kids he had, I knew the name of the chef and of his wife, I felt them like my family.
I remeber that once I forgot my daughter's picture in the drawer of the night-stand.When I went back I found the picture beutfully framed in a silver frame, waiting for me on the night-stand.Other time, after my husband died, I travelled there and I was in black.All of them tried to comfort me.When I finished my stay, before leaving, few of them came to me and offered me a nice jewelry box,with a very nice string of pearls inside it.It was not a man and woman thing, it was the friendshp which is much beyond the sex or religion differences. Because I forgot to tell you that they were of different religions, both Coptic Orthodox and Muslims.
In my turn it was a huge joy for me to bring them gifts from my own country and I have never forgotten any of them.
I loved them and I miss them. Now and then I give them a call and I ask about each and every of them.There are friendships that are more precious than anything in life.
Why should they long for women from other places, or why should they feel less than people in other places? They are the followers of the most brilliant and glorious civilization in the world.They have a history that is overwhelming, they are the civilization itself. This is why they are often misunderstood,becuase they are from another time and from another world.
I remember that I entered a photoshp in the neighbourhood of my hotel and it was an American woman (I cannot say Lady) there who was shouting at the clerk in the shop calling him names that I simply do not want to repeat.Rude, extremely rude.I simply could not help myself from calling her a bad name(something like "cow").I could not accept that someone can come to your house(in this case that boy's country) and call them, the hosts, those names.It's extremely rude and shows how little are prepared some tourists to meet the real civilization.
They should better sail on the ocean or make trips in the jungle.They are not made for the greatness of Egypt.They don't understand anything of what they see and hear around them.
I must leave now, because it's late, but I'll be back.I hope you won't take it as a threat.

Posts: 15 | From: St.John's, Newfoundland,Canada | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vi there are many many people on this forum who also love Egypt. What one is inclined to forget when living here, is the true generosity of so many of the 'locals'. It is true that living here can be hard work, but hey, everyday I wake up to the sun shining, from my front balcony I see my flowers on my balcony, when I get down I can sit by the glorious Red Sea. Of course I could change all that and return to the UK and perhaps get mugged, my house broken into again, go to the supermarket where every imaginable delicacy is waiting for me, at hugely inflated prices.

On reflection, no I will stay here and keep bargaining to get the correct prices for everyday things, stay here and enjoy better health, stay here and just enjoy!

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear VI,

Your post has shaken many memories about my country. Things that as an Egyptian who lives abroad do not often notice , perhaps cause I am used to them?

It is so wonderful to realise that some of those who touched Egypt have been touched by her.

Like yourself,I have travelled to many coutries so did my British husband,but yet none of us felt as homely as we felt in Egypt.

I remember at our honey moon and once the neighbours realised that my husband was a foreigner, we were overwhelmed by the tens of dinner's invitations.

Most of these hosts I have never seen before or had a previous contacts with.They were just people who lived in the street where my family lives.
There is no doubt, Egypt is and always will be the most generous and the kindest land.

I thank you for that beautiful post.

[This message has been edited by salama (edited 04 May 2005).]

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gail
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vi,

It's refreshing to hear such enthusiasm for Egypt. I have read as many bad as good things written by people on this forum. I choose to ignore the bad and embrace the good. When I travel there next year, I look forward to having the kinds of positive experiences that you've had. Thank you.

Posts: 332 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kkkaaa:

it just makes me wanna study harder, and work harder to marry an egyptian one day. inshAllah..

Hmm... kkkaaa, good advice to you from an analytical mind here.. you are making decisions based on LADIES' views on Egypt now, and these mostly have to do with Egyptian MEN. And u do not want marry a man I've somehow understood that u do not feel special passion towards your own sex?

So if you are considering marrying an egyptian WOMAN, you might be better off reading what our late in this forum penpal Welsafty wrote once about how fun it is to have an egyptian girlfriend/wife. Don't remember the thread but try search with the word "diamond", I believe he said something like you need to pave road with them if you want her understand she needs you in her life.

The good memories all have to do with being a woman, being treated by men, even if it is not strictly a sex thing you cannot help that opposites attract more than similars

maybe we should open a new thread and really discuss the topic of women in Egypt?? because I understand you don't meet them so often if they rarely come out of home and even then all their communicative parts are maybe covered, but they are a part of socidety, still, and as such we'll meet them also and have to kind of co-exist or even form some kind of sisterly ties, the "us, women" thing??? Is it possible?

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
imagine meet up with ur boyfriend's wife....

Oh, I wish he were a muslim then..
I LOVE women with good taste in men and things and i would love my newfound sister so dearly!!

And besides -- I'd get every second night off from there on! Yippeeee-yeah!!!

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vi
Member # 7515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Semsema,Gail,Salama and Mr.Triple Ka,

Generally I am a very fair person and it's hard on me to keep silent when I KNOW that the truth is different.All I'm writing is from my own "live" experience and I am sure that many others have met the same kind of people and attention from the Egyptian people. I can't definitely say that bad people do not exist there as well.But it depends on you which of them to meet and make friends.
Travelling to Egypt with one purpose only, this is sex, you'll have it for sure, but you should not complain afterwards that you've been deceived.You've got your merchandise and you must pay a price for that.Just a fair trade.
How many of the ones complaining for having been deceived chose the vertical standing position instead of hasty horizontal one all along their relationship to an Egyptian man?
How many chose to walk along the river or to have a cup of coffee or a dinner on a terrace or a romantic evening on a felouka?
How many have been deeply romantically involved in such a relationshi?

nevermind
Member # 6674

quote:
u got a lucky bf there :P

Hmmm.... errrr... I hope so too, for the sake of his coptic soul

nevermind
Member # 6674

quote:
i guess "most men" will feel lucky having a wife who is willing to accpet another women...

It is a muslim view on things, my dear. You may even divorce all of them and start all over again... and again... and again. This must be why all diving instructors and tour guides are muslim

The coptic view is to marry one woman once and forever. No divorces and noone beyond her. Now if you say my bf is lucky... who am I to protest here

salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vi:
[B]Dear Semsema,Gail,Salama and Mr.Triple Ka,

Generally I am a very fair person and it's hard on me to keep silent when I KNOW that the truth is different.All I'm writing is from my own "live" experience and I am sure that many others have met the same kind of people and attention from the Egyptian people.

And I do like your way of thinking VI.
Thank you again

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com