EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » What do I wear?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What do I wear?
Theresa
Member # 7514

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Theresa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me what women should wear in Cairo as well as Alexandria? I am going there on my honeymoon in two weeks and I have heard that we are not suppose to show any exposed skin, no tank tops shorts etc.. Can I wear shorts and sleeveless tops? Do I have to cover myself up a lot?

Posts: 4 | From: Hartland, Vermont United States | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt is a Muslim country and therefore deeply conservative. What you should do is keep beach/pool wear for those areas. This will mean you get treated with a lot more respect.

I would advise down to elbows and knees, up to neck. Keep things loose and flowing. Things like gypsy style tops and skirts are perfect, natural fabrics, cotton, linen, cheese cloth is good. These kind of styles are also good for warding of heat exhaustion and sunstroke so a double blessing.

I live here and wear elbow length blouses and long trousers with occassional midcalf skirts. I have guests who wear strappy tops and show their boobs and come back complaining of unwanted attention

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theresa
Member # 7514

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Theresa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Akshar, I will be visiting the Khan el Khalili Bazaar and I have blonde hair. I have heard that people will want to try to touch me, is this true? Also, we are going to be staying at the Sheraton RG Hotel in Cairo, is this a nice location, can you see the pyrimids of Giza from this hotel?
Posts: 4 | From: Hartland, Vermont United States | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aimee
Member # 7444

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aimee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Theresa
I too have blonde hair and have been to khan el khalili a few times and never been touched lol, they will just see you as a tourist and you will get hassles but for sure not touched. you wont be able to walk through it without everyone asking you to take a look at their stuff. What i found the last 2 times i went to egypt was that if i wore a scarf and covered my hair, not one person asked me to look at their stuff, and i was amazed to be able to walk without being stopped. Wish i hadve realised sooner as then i could browse at the stuff as i wanted to and not feel pressured. Hope this helps

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Theresa:
Thank you Akshar, I will be visiting the Khan el Khalili Bazaar and I have blonde hair. I have heard that people will want to try to touch me, is this true? Also, we are going to be staying at the Sheraton RG Hotel in Cairo, is this a nice location, can you see the pyrimids of Giza from this hotel?

I don't know the Sheraton so can't comment on that.

I went to the Khani Khalili just recently on a trip to Cairo. I met up with a friend who has blond hair (I am a brunette dyed red) and she didn't mention any undue hassle. We had a lovely time there and really enjoyed ourselves. We were in a large group of 5, one man, two women and two children so that might have made a difference. Perphaps take a child with you as camoflage lol

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:

Perphaps take a child with you as camoflage lol

Make sure the child doesn't have blonde hair. Years ago I was babysitting a little German girl with long blonde hair and blue eyes and we went to visit the Cairo Zoo. Have a guess who the attraction was. The little girl was scared because people came constantly up to talk to her and touch her head. We had to leave.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took with me a long flowery cotton dress I keep in cupboard for god-knows-why, it's with long sleeves and nearly down to ankles, with a widening skirt but about 20 cm too wide at waist. I kind of love it because it is so feminine but it is also so outdated and dark blue is not my favourite colour exactly, so I never find an occasion when to wear it at home. Well, my boyfriend LOVED me wear it!! AND long flowery peasant type of skirts are SO this year even in Europe now so--maybe search your cupboards, ladies?!

BUT I have a dressing question, too: am going back to stay from middle of May to middle of June, latter part in Alexandria, hopefully, and have of course bought me Totally New Wardrobe. I think men always get so excited at seeing anything new that it would be sad to spoil the fun by wearing exactly same things again?? or maybe it is the phenomenon of new boyfriends/girlfriends only . There is a joke I've heard that if you see a man open car door for a woman then either the woman is new, or the car is .

SO, I've bought some linen trouser sets that should be quite safe culturally and climatically but I've also bought me 2 most beautiful twin sets, you know a t-shirt and a figure hugging cardigan with buttons and small pockets, ohhh, you should see it, so soft, so ladylike. I think if an egyptian man dreams of anything it is to have a ladylike wife, right?? Anyway, I love anything that saves me from wearing jackets because I really dislike power dressing, it reminds me of tough corporate environments at once, and i love things that one can wear like for 10 years in row and they never get quite outdated, and I love soft feminine things, but simple lines and patterns, not overpoured with cuts or details.

So, of course I bought TWO similar sets, of different colours, one lettuce green (SO this season and one kind of salmon red (goes well with red corals), but what makes me worry is that they are a mix of viscose70% / polyamide30% knit, thin enough for breezy summer in North Europe, but for Egypt??? can I even think of wearing a cardigan there? On the other hand it is probably something I'd wear for a nice dinner or stroll after sunset, so it should be cooler? Have some knee-length skirts to go with, am a bit hesitant of showing leg but then I think even modern muslimas wear knee-length costumes, and it is considered kind of stylish?

Otherwise I think linen is a safe bet because it really keeps you cool even better than cotton.

Have also thought of buying a white umbrella for heat days in city, what do you think? Would probably earn me a lot of unwanted attention but I saw it on some photos in web, an older lady walking or was it even man, in cairo, and kind of seems sensible, right? Much better protection than a hat brim, I think.

But it may be my imagination is too much shaped by the exotic fashion shots in glossy magazines where they always play on this colonial era grand voyage theme -- all white costumes, parasols and tens of expensive suitcases .

So, ladies, your prognoses on me getting to wear my viscose twinsets in Alex nights in June, please??? And the umbrella thing--anyone ever seen in reality?? (I'll get charged triple whenever buying something, I guess, should consider that too ).
Or shall I keep cardigans for Christmas time.

And do local women really wear galabeyyas?? if is correct name for female garment. the kind that are also sold to tourists? Because my boyfriend gave me one, but I understand it is so difficult for men to find presents so i just accepted it as gesture but am a bit unsure whether I should also actually wear it or shall I look like a walking souvenire, then? Maybe over long white trousers? It is a kind of strong pumpkin-to-orange colour.

Sorry it got so long, but... it's about the Most Important Question in life, right? -- What shall I wear???

[This message has been edited by nevermind (edited 04 May 2005).]

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya Theresa..
Forget the shorts...
Just like Jane says ,remember you're not on the beach, but in a city in a muslim country!
Short sleeve t shirts and tops are ok... maybe below-knee length trousers or skirts, not too tight.. its too hot to wear clingy stuff anyway!
You will get a lot more respect as a tourist if you are dressed decently!!
ALSO,,, A tip for very hot weather... You can buy a white Egyptian cotton thin scarf for around 10 le, just keep the back of the neck area damp with a bottle of water, and it will keep you nice and cool... I was given this tip in 1997 when I was in Luxor in June.. everybody else was dying of heat around the monuments.. I was fine!!
Nevermind.. forget the galabeya...wear it around the house!!
Incidentally, I was on the beach at my place of employment today( Diving centre) and I have never seen so many sagging burning bare breasts in my life!!!
Come on ladies... what's the attraction in having burned droopy bazoomas????
Gross!!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Samia:
I was on the beach at my place of employment today( Diving centre) and I have never seen so many sagging burning bare breasts in my life!!!

Hee-hee-heee, but on the other hand I suppose your male bosses are not overweight undertanned balding males with bad skin? There is harmony in things!
&Thanks for tips.

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theresa
Member # 7514

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Theresa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Samia, your comments were very helpful. I don't intend on wearing tight clothing at all, it's not my thing. I prefer conservative tank tops, not low-cut and I have a tan already but will still be careful and use good sunscreen, I will wear tops that cover more of my arms. I have a lot of skirts that come just below the knee or just above the ankle. I assume that you can wear comfortable sandals instead of constantly wearing the sneakers all the time?
EFLVirgo
Member # 6264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EFLVirgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nevermind:
I think if an egyptian man dreams of anything it is to have a ladylike wife, right??

Are you implying that Egyptian wives are not ladylike?

Posts: 372 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I assume that you can wear comfortable sandals instead of constantly wearing the sneakers all the time?

Yes.. feet are no problem!!!
Have a good holiday, Theresa, and I'm sure you'll love Egypt as much as I do!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by aimee:
[B]Hi Theresa
I too have blonde hair and have been to khan el khalili a few times and never been touched lol, they will just see you as a tourist and you will get hassles but for sure not touched.

And I got black long hair ladies. Once I put my foot here in UK, all my mother-in law's neighbours came around to look at that little doll and touched my hair..!! No big deal..!

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by EFLVirgo:
[B] Are you implying that Egyptian wives are not ladylike?

Perhaps that is why western men are drippling after us Egyptian women and still asking for more ?

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi Theresa. i'm egyptian and i wear sleevless tops and knee length skirts and i get hassled, but so do my veiled friends so i really dont care. i think you should just avoid going to an extreme level. like avoid hot shorts and bra tops. and if you get harrased dont be too upset because believe me i've had friends covered from head to toe who get harrased too.

best

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

quote:
Originally posted by EFLVirgo:
Are you implying that Egyptian wives are not ladylike?

For the peace of your soul I can also write it this way:
I think if an egyptian man dreams of anything it is to have a wife

Better now???

Actually it must have been Welsafty, the former illuminator in women matters on this forum here, who said this thing about E. men dreaming of ladylike wives.

Not all women achieve the kind of style or do not even want or care to put up all this effort (hair, manicure, stepping, sitting and always looking oh-so neat, even in heat, ohhh..) while especially the better off muslim women I think always look kind of neat and ladylike even in traditional clothing and perfect makeup, and the more so in a nice costume showing some leg and shape, ehh?

nevermind
Member # 6674

quote:
Originally posted by salama:
Perhaps that is why western men are drippling after us Egyptian women and still asking for more ?
[/B]

Opposites attract, i guess . But it's getting really exciting here at last. Would you care to share some more detail with us, salama??? (You can put it in third person if feel shy...?)

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehehe good one salama!
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boogy
Member # 7480

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Boogy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Theresa, you live only once. Feel free to enjoy your life,

quote:
Can anyone tell me what women should wear in Cairo as well as Alexandria? I am going there on my honeymoon in two weeks and I have heard that we are not suppose to show any exposed skin, no tank tops shorts etc.. Can I wear shorts and sleeveless tops? Do I have to cover myself up a lot?

Posts: 62 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foreverjustme
Member # 7583

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreverjustme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"And do local women really wear galabeyyas?? if is correct name for female garment. the kind that are also sold to tourists? Because my boyfriend gave me one, but I understand it is so difficult for men to find presents so i just accepted it as gesture but am a bit unsure whether I should also actually wear it or shall I look like a walking souvenire, then? Maybe over long white trousers? It is a kind of strong pumpkin-to-orange colour."

Nevermind - local women do wear galabeyas, at least in upper egypt and in cairo too I'm sure. But NOT the tourist kind you buy from bazars. They usually wear black/dark colours, especially married women. Young women wear more interesting styles, with trousers for example. I've even seen a galabeya made to look like a long anklelength denim jacket! You can buy these at special galabeya shops etc. But they are really for local women who also wears scarfs, I think it would look strange on "us".

I have seen some tourists in luxor wear the touristgalabeyas though! Some of them looked really good, when you choose the right one with right accesories (bag, shoes). But then its more like a summer dress, not galabaya. But it was a cool idea and looked really comfortable in the heat. Especially a shorter shortsleeved colourful galabaya with long trousers and sandals... very chic!

By the way: is there any people from Luxor/upper Egypt on this forum? I just hear Hurghada and Cairo mentioned all the time...

Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EFLVirgo
Member # 6264

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for EFLVirgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by foreverjustme:
local women do wear galabeyas, at least in upper egypt and in cairo too I'm sure. But NOT the tourist kind you buy from bazars. They usually wear black/dark colours, especially married women. Young women wear more interesting styles, with trousers for example.

Very few young women in Cairo wear galabeyas.

Posts: 372 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foreverjustme
Member # 7583

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreverjustme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EFLVirgo:
Very few young women in Cairo wear galabeyas.

I imagine that too... Only ever spent 3 days in Cairo though. In Upper Egypt too, not ALL women wear galabeyas, but the ones that do, well... do. I think the question was do local women wear them or not... And they, do, or some of them, do. Now I'm confusing myself! Anyway, good point EFLVirgo

Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com