EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » As a foreigner, Why do I need to learn Arabic ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: As a foreigner, Why do I need to learn Arabic ?
ah_farrag
Member # 4717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ah_farrag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arabic is the official language of Egypt. Egyptian Arabic differs from Classical Arabic through sounds and colloquial expressions, and is widely understood within Arabic-speaking countries.
As a guest in a foreign country, it is important to try to understand and adapt to the culture, which includes language. Learning the language makes it easier for you to understand the way Egyptians communicate, as well as their sense of humour and the reason for the countless spelling errors in restaurant menus and signs. Although you don’t need to be fluent in Arabic, it is highly recommended that you learn some “basic” Arabic. This will simplify many daily life situations, such as communicating with the bawaab, ordering delivery and groceries and taking a cab. Mastering some essential phrases and learning basic verbs and vocabulary will also boost your self-confidence when getting around Cairo and Egypt. Learning the numbers and basic words will also give you assertion while bargaining. Speaking Egyptian Arabic in Khan El Khalili will ensure paying a fair price for your purchasing.

Private Tutoring is an option to learn Arabic in Cairo, depending on your level of interest. As a private tutor I offer colloquial spoken Arabic classes, with an interactive student-teacher approach, focused on “practical” and “basicl” Arabic.
No matter how proficient you are in Arabic, Egyptians will be impressed upon any attempt to practice your broken Arabic. As soon as you pronounce “asalam alekum”, they will start a fast-paced conversation assuming you understand every single word they say. The few words you’ll be able to pick out of the monologue will allow you to grasp the main subject of the conversation, and provide an answer which will only amaze them. The main point is to overcome the fear of pronouncing these guttural sounds and practice, practice, practice! The results will be rewarding!

Good Luck.
Ahmed
Arabic Private Tutor
http://arabic-private-tutor.faithweb.com

Posts: 674 | From: Cairo,Egypt | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com