EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Anyone visited Marsa Alam?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone visited Marsa Alam?
Pe@rson
Member # 6764

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pe@rson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone visited the southern Red Sea resort of Marsa Alam? I recently visited the place and was amazed how beuatiful the place is. I've been to the other resorts like Sharm, Dahab, Al-Gouna, etc and was expecting Marsa Alam to be the same. The diving is absolutely breathtaking, the resort itself is well developed and organised (even at these early stages). Unlike most resorts the authorities plan to turn this into a city in its own right with residence, commerce and its own industry.

I would recommend anyone go (though flights from Cairo are a bit pricey).

Would be great to hear other experiences!

Posts: 150 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suzanna
Member # 6258

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suzanna   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there-- yes-- have been and now live down here -- glad you see the beauty-- for many it is boring but it is truly the jewel of the Red Sea
Posts: 54 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pe@rson
Member # 6764

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pe@rson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suzanna, that's great! How are you finding it? As a holiday destination for professional divers it's heaven on earth but how if life there for a resident?

What I most like about Marsa Alam is it seems to attract the more upmarket holidaymaker, so it has a more unique and professional environment. On a side note, it seems 99% of the tourists there are Italians...

Posts: 150 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suzanna
Member # 6258

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suzanna   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,

I am in tourism and land investment so being down here is appropriate as it is the up and coming destination -- especially for the divers. The word on the Italianns is that they were very frustrated with the Russians overtakung Sharm so they looked elsewhere and found Mars Alam ==btw there are charter flights from Italy -- you are right it is catering to the upscale market like Sharm did many years ago.

Posts: 54 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Suzanna, good to know you are still alive as we haven't heard from you in a long time.

I thought you were in El Quesier, just goes to show what my memory is like.

Hope you are well.

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suzanna
Member # 6258

Rate Member
Hi-- I have been busy so not much time on ES-- but things calming down again -- yes- we are in Quseir as well as in Mars Alam -- speculating -- hope to see you all again soon !!!!
Pe@rson
Member # 6764

Rate Member
Suzanna,

yeah traditionally the Germans and Russians dominated Hurghada but there seems to be a shift towards Sharm El Sheikh. Having said that I still think Sharm is a great place.

Looking at Marsa Alam Airport's website you can see Italian flights dominate: http://www.marsa-alam-airport.com/FlightSchedule.asp

BTW, how do you get between Cairo and Marsa Alam. I had to fly with PAS as Egyptair don't fly to Marsa Alam but the flights are very expensive.

Also how are development plans in Marsa Alam? how will they further distinguish themselves from the other resorts? Also you say it's "the up and coming destination", but aren't tourist authorities now shifting their attention to the North coast on the Mediterranean like the new resorts at Al-Alamein and Mersa Matruh?

patrick2
Member # 3668

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for patrick2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I went to M/Alam via bus from Cairo 3 years ago - I think it was East Delta or Superjet and only cost LE60 !! (Azzizia bus terminals in Cairo) It's a long journey, 10 hours but saves you lots of money. And yes, I agree, it's a beautiful diving location (Elphenstone, etc.).

quote:
Originally posted by Pe@rson:
Suzanna,

yeah traditionally the Germans and Russians dominated Hurghada but there seems to be a shift towards Sharm El Sheikh. Having said that I still think Sharm is a great place.

Looking at Marsa Alam Airport's website you can see Italian flights dominate: http://www.marsa-alam-airport.com/FlightSchedule.asp

BTW, how do you get between Cairo and Marsa Alam. I had to fly with PAS as Egyptair don't fly to Marsa Alam but the flights are very expensive.

Also how are development plans in Marsa Alam? how will they further distinguish themselves from the other resorts? Also you say it's "the up and coming destination", but aren't tourist authorities now shifting their attention to the North coast on the Mediterranean like the new resorts at Al-Alamein and Mersa Matruh?

Posts: 2 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whipy
Member # 8172

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for whipy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! We are planning on staying in Marsa Allam for a week at the end of July. We shall be doing a Nile cruise beforehand. A couple of questions if you don't mind:-

a) Is the bus service from Luxor to Marsa Allam reliable and safe? How long does it take and which bus companies service this route? Do you have to take a police convoy?

b) Which dive operators are there? The only ones I have been able to find on the web are Extra Divers in the Coraya Beach Resort and their prices are quite high. Is there another diving operator that is not at this hotel?

We will truly appreciate your advice. Thanks!

Posts: 2 | From: Trabuco Canyon, California, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ashraf4uook
Member # 8017

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ashraf4uook     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Suzanna

I am in Hurghada, I like to visit El Quser ? Marsa Alam, I can drive my car to there, can u advice me where to go how to spend one day there and not cost much
can you please email me at ashraf4uook@hotmail.com
Thanks

Posts: 25 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pe@rson
Member # 6764

Rate Member
In this week's Al-Ahram weekly they have 2 articles about Marsa Alam. Though the articles are fairly long they are an interesting read:
http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2005/749/tr1.htm
http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2005/749/tr3.htm

whipy, here is info on getting there: http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2005/749/tr2.htm

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com