EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Cairo Was Beautiful!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cairo Was Beautiful!
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 7 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got back from a 2+ week vacation in Cairo. It was my first time in Egypt and I just have to say that it was incredible, and everyone was so nice and friendly and welcoming to me. I can't wait to go back.

In all my travels, Egyptians were by far the nicest and made my stay just wonderful.

Thanks! :-)

Susan

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi im very happy that you loved egypt, and cairo specifically. why don't you tell us a little more about your experience???
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I went with my boyfriend, who was born in Egypt, but has been living in the U.S. for almost 20 years now -- to meet his family and friends and tour around Cairo. I did the typical tourist things -- pyramids, Egyptian museum, Citadel, Khan al Khalili bazaar, Nile Cruise.....

All of that was great but what struck me most were two things -- how HUGE everything is (I couldn't conceive of the actual size of the pyramids just from pictures), and how wonderfully warm and welcoming everyone was.

Everything was greener than I had imagined. I loved the traffic, although I would probably never drive in it myself. I loved seeing kids riding on a donkey-pulled cart, banging on propane tanks, or the guy yelling he had old clothes for sale. Or the call to prayer at 4-ish in the morning from the nearby mosque. Or the cab drivers welcoming me to Egypt, and being happy when I told them their country was just beautiful.

I loved being welcomed like an old friend by my boyfriend's family and friends and work colleagues. I felt sad when a boy with only one leg begged in the streets for money. And yeah, I gave him some cash. I loved seeing architecture that spanned thousands of years, pharonic, british, french, turkish, and egyptian. Loved all the tombs (City of the Dead?), and Islamic Cairo, seeing minarets everywhere when before they were only something I'd seen in art/architecture books.

I was invited to dinner in modest homes and villas. I've never felt so welcomed before and I hope they know how much I appreciated their hospitality.

I loved watching my *father in law* bargain some guy down in price for a gold necklace I wanted to buy.

"I'm broke! You can't possibly charge that amount! Put your hands in my pockets and anything you find is yours!" The price was 750 pounds; he countered at 200 :-). I ended up getting it for 400 pounds, or about $67 USD. I don't know if that's a good price in Egypt, but it's a heck of a price by US standards.

Loved the music, and the religious chants on the radio in the cabs. I loved watching the fellucas (sp?) on the Nile, how serene everything there feels.

I loved trying to speak Arabic (poorly), and people smiling at me when I tried. I loved seeing guys sleeping in the grassy, shady median strips of the parkways in the afternoon. I loved going to a wholesale fruit/vegetable market outside of Heliopolis. And seeing the desert on my way to Ismalia. I loved seeing the pine trees near the airport swept to one side from the winds. I thought it was funny seeing pictures of Mubarek everywhere. I'd *flip* if I had to look at George Bush everyday like that.

I even loved that the guard at my building wouldn't let my boyfriend upstairs to get me one morning because we weren't married.
:-) Thought that was cute, but then he showed his American passport and they let him up. ??

And I love torshi. ;-)

I miss it, and its noise. It was very alive and makes me feel like we've sanitized away any soul we have here in DC. I got in a cab at the airport when I arrived home, and it seemed like the quietest ride of my life.

It truly was the best vacation I've ever had.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gail
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snoozin,
Thank you, thank you for the information about Cairo. As we speak, I am planning my trip there next July. Your post makes me want to go there right NOW.

[This message has been edited by Gail (edited 01 July 2005).]

Posts: 332 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I hear you either love it or you hate it. I absolutely fell in love with it. One thing that makes my day is a friendly face, and you'll see 15 million or so in Cairo. :-)

I am sure you will have a wonderful time. I can't wait to get back myself.

quote:
Originally posted by Gail:
Snoozin,
Thank you, thank you for the information about Cairo. As we speak, I am planning my trip there next July. Your post makes me want to go there right NOW.

[This message has been edited by Gail (edited 01 July 2005).]

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
You know, I hear you either love it or you hate it. I absolutely fell in love with it. One thing that makes my day is a friendly face, and you'll see 15 million or so in Cairo. :-)

I am sure you will have a wonderful time. I can't wait to get back myself.

you're right about this. i've never met a person who is neutral about cairo. it is either love with passion, or hate with a vengance

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com