EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Visiting Tanta

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Visiting Tanta
Dulcibella
Member # 8141

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dulcibella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

I was hoping that someone might know something about Tanta? I want to visit a friend there, but my research on the city has come zero to none.

Questions such as:
-Is it really an hour's drive from Cairo?
-How expensive is the train from Cairo to Tanta?
-Where's a good place to stay?
-Where's a good place to eat?
-How much spending money will I need for ten days? (I am American, so if someone could convert it into American dollars, it would be most kind.)

I appreciate anyone's help.

[This message has been edited by Dulcibella (edited 02 July 2005).]

Posts: 36 | From: Washington, DC, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
primak
Member # 494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for primak         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tanta is a dump.
-Is it really an hour's drive from Cairo?
About an hour and a half by car and one hour by train.
-How expensive is the train from Cairo to Tanta?
Cheap..a first class ticket would cost you
approx 20 egyptian pounds ( 3.5 american dollars?)
-Where's a good place to stay?
All dumps..I stayed once in a hotel called Arafa, near the station, also a dump, but apparently the best place in town
-Where's a good place to eat?
Anywhere, but be prepared for hepatitis, dysentery, and other surprise "seasonings"!
-How much spending money will I need for ten days? (I am American, so if someone could convert it into American dollars, it would be most kind.)
Tanta is "no go" - you will be bored to tears in 10 days - but it's dirt cheap - I suppose you would spend a maximum of 50 american dollars per day.
Don't go.

Posts: 1516 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tanta is not a nice city at all
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately I have to agree with what has been written so far. Dulcibella, why don't you and your friend spend those 10 days in Alex instead? It's just an hour or so away by train, and far more interesting this time of the year. I think you won't be disappointed as you would staying in Tanta for 10 days.

Laura

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
primak
Member # 494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for primak         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Laura : you will be very disappointed . Alex ( Alexandria) is by far
nicer, more civilized, and as cheap as Tanta.
Tanta will turn out to be a nightmare.

Posts: 1516 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dulcibella
Member # 8141

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dulcibella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for the replies. Could someone be specific in explaining how it is a dump? Bad crime? Polluted streets? Shabby houses?

How does Alexandria differ, specifically?

I really have no idea, and I'd just like to get a more descriptive picture before I make any final decision.

Posts: 36 | From: Washington, DC, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
primak
Member # 494

quote:
Originally posted by Dulcibella:
Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for the replies. Could someone be specific in explaining how it is a dump? Bad crime? Polluted streets? Shabby houses?

How does Alexandria differ, specifically?

I really have no idea, and I'd just like to get a more descriptive picture before I make any final decision.

All egyptian cities are polluted and have shabby houses, but they have charm.
Tanta is polluted, has shabby houses but lacks charm. I cannot write an essay on why Tanta is a dump, please take my word for it.
You'll find tons of information on Alexandria on the net.
As for "bad crime" - I have never encountered any "bad crime" in Egypt - so that can be disregarded.
Tanta is plain ugly and boring.We;ve all warned you, now it's you decision.

poppy
Member # 3491

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there Dulcibella, i live in Alex for about 8 months now, b4 this i was 1 year in Cairo. In my oppinion, Cairo (although it has some good points of course) suffers greatly from pollution, in the form of both dust and smoke. It is grossly overpopulated, from a westerner's point of view. In comparison to England anyway. If, like me u holiday for some tranquility as well as perhaps some nightlife u won't find too many, if any quiet spots of meditation in Cairo. Alex, on the otherhand has that peacefulness, but also lively atmosphere. The population ratio is much less. As is the polution level in relation to Cairo. I hope this is helpful to you. Oh! welcome when u come, by the way. I am happy to help u, if u come to Alex. It would be my pleasure, as i know what its like when u come to new and different places as a foreigner.
Posts: 461 | From: Kelantan, Malaysia | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com