EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Weekend hours

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weekend hours
lacalif
Member # 8463

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for lacalif     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Cairo, Sharm, Luxor, Aswan, & Alexandria - do any of the museums, shops, sites, etc. close early on Friday/Saturday/Sunday due to religios/other reasons?
Posts: 21 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lacalif:
In Cairo, Sharm, Luxor, Aswan, & Alexandria - do any of the museums, shops, sites, etc. close early on Friday/Saturday/Sunday due to religios/other reasons?

I did not notice anything ever closed in Sharm. But in Alexandria Friday is the day off for government workers, and for some reason it includes e.g. bookshops. Maybe they are government-owned too then. And some internet cafes, but not all of them. The shop on Saad Zagloul Square had several interesting books about recent egyptian history in English, and some practical-looking Arab grammar books.
The private shops open in the afternoon. Friday, thus, was actually my favourite day in Alexandria because the city slept long and streets were almost empty and very quiet almost up till noon.

On Sundays it is the other way round - shops close early, around lunchtime. I was told it is a local regulation and dates back to some kind of tradition or even in history which I do not remember unfortunately. Museums mostly close very early, around 2 or 4, but I think they were open on Friday, because we were just discuccing with my bf whether they are kept open because people have the day off, or are kept closed because museum (=state) workers have day off. People seem have won.

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lacalif
Member # 8463

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lacalif     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nevermind:
[B]
I did not notice anything ever closed in Sharm. But in Alexandria Friday is the day off for government workers
On Sundays it is the other way round - shops close early, around lunchtime.

Thanks for your response.
Regards to Sunday, were you only referring to Alexandria? or to other cities as well. I will be in Luxor and Cairo on Sundays during my stay. So should I assume that the pyramids and temples may close early and be unaccessable after 2/4 on Sundays?

Thanks and happy travels.

[This message has been edited by lacalif (edited 27 July 2005).]

[This message has been edited by lacalif (edited 27 July 2005).]

Posts: 21 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only know about Sundays in Alexandria and was told it is a local custom that only applies to Alexandria. There may be similar customs in other towns but do not knows.

And early closing applies to some museums like art museums, history museums, museums in houses. Pyramids never close :o) and you even get the light shows in the evening at pyramids and temples, I hope our wise members from Luxor etc. support my defective knowledge here.
But I definitely noticed one must be an early bird when wishing to visit the housed stuff. Just checked my maps at hand and the times vary a lot but if you are not sure and have not checked then 14.00 is a sure line. Some others close 15.00 some 16.00 and some (maybe most popular, best known ones) 18.00.

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann
Member # 106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most museums & sites are open daily (including Friday), opening hours may vary according to winter/summer season but general rule of thumb seems to be 9am-5pm or 8pm-4pm.

Suggest you buy yourself a good travel guide (for example Lonely Planet).

Main cities are definitely more quiet on Friday morning, however you will find that most shops & restaurants are open after lunch time. Sunday is a normal working day in Egypt, some shops might be closed.

Posts: 316 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptourguide
Member # 5233

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptourguide   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lacalif:

just during fridayes in cairo and alex most of stors open after the main pray of noon 12,1 am but some others not
also many stors in egypt working 24 houres
especially resturants
regards

Posts: 167 | From: egypt | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com