EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Ladies where can i get nails done

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ladies where can i get nails done
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi ladies of the forum in egypt,
ok so can anyone tell me where i can get my acrylic nails filled in egypt? Are there any nail salons that are available to do this?? Need it to be in cairo or close though, each time i have been there i have ended up breaking them off because they were growing out too long and they needed filled in. any help on this i would appreciate

[This message has been edited by mysticheart (edited 28 July 2005).]

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i know this lady called Mary who has been doing our nails for years. she's really good, and she doesn't cut you. you can call her, or you can go to her house. if you want email me at yasminefathy@hotmail.com and ill give you her number, because i wouldn't want to put it on a public forum
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assalamu alaykum 7aya!

Just interested in which parts of Cairo Mary would go to or where does she live, how often she comes to you, and how much she charges for a manicure or a pedicure.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
newcomer she lives in heliopolis, and i think she goes almost everywhere. she charges about 35 pounds although she's the kind of person who would change it depending on how much money you have so you have to insist that its 35 pounds! whats acrylic nails?
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 7aya:
newcomer she lives in heliopolis, and i think she goes almost everywhere. she charges about 35 pounds although she's the kind of person who would change it depending on how much money you have so you have to insist that its 35 pounds! whats acrylic nails?

Acrylic nails are very popular in the US. It's a liquid form of acrylic that they paint over your nails and make them very long if you'd like. They harden to almost steel after 30 seconds or so, then they are so hard you can't use a regular nail file on them. They are popular because women can instantly have nails all one length, and nail color can last almost 2 weeks, making you look perfectly manicured for a long time. As the nail grows out there is a thin little groove because the acrylic is so high and thick on the nails. So these grooves near the cuticle have to be *filled* every 10 days to 2 weeks.

I have very soft nails that don't grow, so I tried acrylic for about 4 months. They ruined my nails. they became even thinner, as thin as paper. It was awful. But some woman have very good luck with it and can use them for years and years.

One major problem with these nails is that the cheap places use an illegal chemical to set/harden the acrylic. It's very toxic and is illegal in most states. It has a horrible smell, whereas the more expensive chemical doesn't smell so bad. I would be a bit concerned if acrylic nails are that expensive in Cairo, that manicurists could be using the toxic chemical. Just something to look out for.

There is something similar called silk wrap, where silk is used rather than acrylic, and it's supposed to be healthier for the nail.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
Acrylic nails are very popular in the US. It's a liquid form of acrylic that they paint over your nails and make them very long if you'd like. They harden to almost steel after 30 seconds or so, then they are so hard you can't use a regular nail file on them. They are popular because women can instantly have nails all one length, and nail color can last almost 2 weeks, making you look perfectly manicured for a long time. As the nail grows out there is a thin little groove because the acrylic is so high and thick on the nails. So these grooves near the cuticle have to be *filled* every 10 days to 2 weeks.

I have very soft nails that don't grow, so I tried acrylic for about 4 months. They ruined my nails. they became even thinner, as thin as paper. It was awful. But some woman have very good luck with it and can use them for years and years.

One major problem with these nails is that the cheap places use an illegal chemical to set/harden the acrylic. It's very toxic and is illegal in most states. It has a horrible smell, whereas the more expensive chemical doesn't smell so bad. I would be a bit concerned if acrylic nails are that expensive in Cairo, that manicurists could be using the toxic chemical. Just something to look out for.

There is something similar called silk wrap, where silk is used rather than acrylic, and it's supposed to be healthier for the nail.

hmmm i never heard of them. but i can still ask her, but i doubt very much

newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 7aya:

Thanks, I might get in touch with you about this one day.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:

Eeeeek ... that sounds quite awful!

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:
There are some places to do it, but it costs a lot of money. The materials are imported and expensive and difficult for the salons to bring in, so they charge a lot for the service. If you are used to paying some little Vietnamese lady or man about $15 for a fill, get over that fast...cuz you won't be finding this service cheap here at all. Sorry to say.

There is one woman in Dokki that will come to your home to do it, but she isn't as good as the people you are probably used to. I used her for years, and she is a good friend, but I had to quit doing the nails with her because I could't keep affording it.

Then there is a salon on Road 9 in Maadi that does them. It is called DINA I think. I never did go there as it is inconvenient for me and expensive.

The last one I know about is a German woman in Maadi that does another system, like acrylic, but different. I went to her once and all she did was bitch about acrylic nails and about how awful they are for your nails.. yadda yadda yadda. The nails she does are good looking and last several weeks (so I hear) but again, are tremendously expensive. If you are coming with a husband with a good contract then it really won't feel that expensive...just advise your husband to budget for your nails. LOL

Good luck figuring out what to do if you move here.

Thank you to both debbie and 7aya, i wont be coming until february probably i just wanted to be prepared. you know, guys are not help with this at all so asking my boyfriend is like asking a wall hahahaha. I noticed most egyptian women did not have their nails done so i was wondering if there were places or not. Basically i only need them filled in when i am there as i get the originals put on here in the states. maybe i will start practicing doing them myself as far as the fills here in my home and just bring the things with me if i can get good enough at it haha. But please if anyone else knows for sure let me know. Thank you.
oh yeah, haha no need for me to have a husband with a good contract for this, i will have enough money to be sure to get them done, but also , my boyfriend will probably insist on paying no matter what the cost is, big booger man doesnt let me spend a dime.

[This message has been edited by mysticheart (edited 01 August 2005).]

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkie
Member # 8385

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed most egyptian women did not have their nails done so i was wondering if there were places or not.

Basically i only need them filled in when i am there as i get the originals put on here in the states. maybe i will start practicing doing them myself as far as the fills here in my home and just bring the things with me if i can get good enough at it.

I have been told that Egyptian women dont paint their nails as when they wash for prayer the water must touch their nails for them to be clean. So its not something that will ever be popular here.

But as you were worried about the quality of the chemicals here, maybe you can bring your own and when you find someone who can do them you can bargan a cheaper price ;-)

Posts: 24 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
quote:
Mabrook. If you have one that can afford the prices these women charge and will pay for it, you got yourself a winner!!!!

Just curious though...is he aware your nails aren't real? Most men don't have a clue.

yeah, he knows, in fact he loves the look of the fakes so he encourages me to get them done as they do not break as easily as real ones. and i noticed that part of my post was put into sparkies,, dont know how that happened exactly lol my post was :I noticed most egyptian women did not have their nails done so i was wondering if there were places or not.
Basically i only need them filled in when i am there as i get the originals put on here in the states. maybe i will start practicing doing them myself as far as the fills here in my home and just bring the things with me if i can get good enough at it.
hahaha never saw that happen before, but when i was there i did notice alot of egyptian women with nails painted,unlike sparkie said, just never noticed any with the fake nails. and yes, i have myself a winner, he sees to anything and everything i would want, most times i dont even ask for it and he does it anyway. Each time i come he absolutely refuses to let me spend a cent of my own money. lool.

RaniaMe
Member # 7590

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RaniaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
SO MANY Egyptian women paint their nails practically, and I don't think prayer has much to do with it if they don't.

Well, it has to do with Islam, you can't have paint nails while praying, so women you see with paint nails may have their period, or are Copt, or don't practice their religion.

[This message has been edited by RaniaMe (edited 03 August 2005).]

[This message has been edited by RaniaMe (edited 03 August 2005).]

Posts: 213 | From: Paris/ Le Caire | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You are joking! Who would tell you something like that? You've obviously never been to Egypt and seen the hands of anyone other than a peasant. SO MANY Egyptian women paint their nails practically, and I don't think prayer has much to do with it if they don't.

It's true and some women do indeed worry about their prayer not being accepted because of the water not reaching the nails. (Whether this is indeed a point to worry about is a different matter altogether).

If you take a closer look you might notice that many (of course not all) of the veiled girls don't paint their nails ...

[This message has been edited by Dalia (edited 04 August 2005).]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
didi_elsayed
Member # 4763

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for didi_elsayed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
come home mystic,ill make ur nails,haha
the bad news im little outa egypt,lol!
Dont attack,im kidding!

Posts: 1134 | From: NoNe oF uR BuSiNeS | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com