EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Weather in December?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weather in December?
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the weather like in December?

Thanks!

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:

Thanks!

Where ???????????

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7880

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for 54321     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Thanks!

Why

Posts: 206 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Thanks!

Where? Cairo. (I suppose that minor detail would've helped)

Why? Because I'm going there around Christmas time and want to know what to pack.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RaniaMe
Member # 7590

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RaniaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snoozin, it's cold there. Strange to say, because in our western countries, we have cold weathers too, but there you feel cold all the time because there is no heater in the rooms, so you're freezing all the time. I never felt so cold as I felt in my apartment in Cairo, I had to put two or three pullovers to feel ok!! It's something I had never experienced before. So, take warm clothes, not as if you were in Canada of course, but maybe a warm coat, warm shirts, and very warm clothes for night.
Posts: 213 | From: Paris/ Le Caire | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Snoozin!

I would agree with RaniaMe, and here are some comments I wrote too: I would pack thermal underwear, woollen socks, flannel nightgowns, a few of your warmest sweaters, and some thick tights! And these are for wearing indoors, outdoors you will need less than you need in DC, but a good coat, and maybe gloves, and a hat would be useful.

I kid you not! Cairo is very cold in winter, not because the weather is colder than you are used to in winter, but because the houses are generally not built to keep people warm in winter (which is only 3 months of so they tell me, but when you’re cold it feel much longer!) they are built for the summer. There is no insulation and most houses don’t have central heating. Even if the place you will be staying in does have efficient heating, if you go visiting you may nee to wrap up warm. I have sat indoors on some winter days, wrapped up in blankets and woollen clothing and still felt cold, and then gone outside with a winter coat on and felt comfortable for winter.

There were a spell last year when it rained for about four days in succession, that was very cold and I needed to wear warm gloves outside! In fact we even had a couple of days with sleet! Cairo may be in a desert, but it is not always summer.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
Hi Snoozin!

I would agree with RaniaMe, and here are some comments I wrote too: I would pack thermal underwear, woollen socks, flannel nightgowns, a few of your warmest sweaters, and some thick tights! And these are for wearing indoors, outdoors you will need less than you need in DC, but a good coat, and maybe gloves, and a hat would be useful.

I kid you not! Cairo is very cold in winter, not because the weather is colder than you are used to in winter, but because the houses are generally not built to keep people warm in winter (which is only 3 months of so they tell me, but when you’re cold it feel much longer!) they are built for the summer. There is no insulation and most houses don’t have central heating. Even if the place you will be staying in does have efficient heating, if you go visiting you may nee to wrap up warm. I have sat indoors on some winter days, wrapped up in blankets and woollen clothing and still felt cold, and then gone outside with a winter coat on and felt comfortable for winter.

There were a spell last year when it rained for about four days in succession, that was very cold and I needed to wear warm gloves outside! In fact we even had a couple of days with sleet! Cairo may be in a desert, but it is not always summer.

Wow, my eyes were popping out of my head when I was reading this! My fiance told me it gets cold, but this guy wears long underwear here in May when it's almost 80. So I thought he was exaggerating....

I'll pack warmly. Shukran.

AMarx
Member # 8543

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AMarx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
..& just in case u have tonsillitis ( or are allergic to smthng), don forget to carry prescription drugs....u don always get what u want from the pharmacy...esp the anti-biotics
Posts: 27 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi snoozin, i agree with rania and newcomer. i know a norweigan girl who lived in egypt for a year and she said she could handle the norway cold much more than the egyptian one. sometimes we have great winters where its 21c to 25c the entire time, and sometimes its very cold but the lowest will usually be 2c. it doesnt really rain that much however. infact i remember it rained once really hard when i was in uni and no one attended the lectures. when egyptians say it rained they usually mean ten minutes of slight rain. when i was in australia my fiance told me to bring an umbrella because it will rain. and i told him sure sure no problem, we've had rain in cairo. but then i was stunned because basically rain there means four days of intensive showers. anyway good luck!

best

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by 7aya:
hi snoozin, i agree with rania and newcomer. i know a norweigan girl who lived in egypt for a year and she said she could handle the norway cold much more than the egyptian one. sometimes we have great winters where its 21c to 25c the entire time, and sometimes its very cold but the lowest will usually be 2c. it doesnt really rain that much however. infact i remember it rained once really hard when i was in uni and no one attended the lectures. when egyptians say it rained they usually mean ten minutes of slight rain. when i was in australia my fiance told me to bring an umbrella because it will rain. and i told him sure sure no problem, we've had rain in cairo. but then i was stunned because basically rain there means four days of intensive showers. anyway good luck!

best

LOL! Rain in Australia sounds like what they get on the West Coast here! That would be something to get used to after Egypt, I'm sure. I asked my fiance if it rained during June and he said never. So we were walking out of his dad's apartment one evening around 7pm, and I said, "it looks like rain. If we were home it would rain soon." He said, yes, but not here. But sure enough, there was about one minute of intermittent, but big fat rain drops!

21C is moderate for me, but I'd definitely need the sweaters if it got down to 2C. I'm getting so excited about coming over again!

7aya, I e-mailed you at your address. Maybe your spam blocker blocked it? I have trouble sometimes e-mailing people with hotmail addresses. If you don't get it, my e-mail is

susanj(at)bluebottle(dot)com

Take care,

Susan

FairyDust
Member # 7138

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FairyDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
Hi Snoozin!

Do the hotels have heat and insulation?

Posts: 333 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trixy
Member # 8325

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trixy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we were out there last new yr!
I took my big coat and jumpers,believe me,we needed them,especialy at nights!
Not as cold as UK,but still cold!
No heating in hol flat we were in,only in bedrooms!
freeeeeeeeeezing,,,,,,,lol,,,,,joking,,,,,,but it was cold and drafty..........
hope this helps........
trix

Posts: 25 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trixy
Member # 8325

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trixy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
forgot to say,we were in luxor,traveled down to cairo,via hurragda,,,,,(convoy), brrrrrrr,cold! ended our time out there back in luxor......
but hey,great experience,our hosts were a1l,prices included,couldnt have asked for better!
Really looked after us,couldnt get better in Uk,,,i promise!
TRIX

Posts: 25 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgan
Member # 6662

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Morgan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm hot honey
Posts: 1223 | From: Home | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgan
Member # 6662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FairyDust:
Do the hotels have heat and insulation?

*****stars hotel

Posts: 1223 | From: Home | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com