EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » do i need a guide for museums & pyramids?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: do i need a guide for museums & pyramids?
recife
Member # 8729

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for recife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Following the question, what is the best/cheapest way to get one? i know there are many private guides but are these good value?and how much do these cost?
Posts: 6 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catty
Member # 8867

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for catty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ALL REMAINS IN THE MUSEUM ARE LABELLED IN ENGLISH. SO I THIKN YOU DONT NEED A GUIDE TO TRANSLATE IT.
Posts: 33 | From: cairo | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It truly depends on how much you know before you go. I have loads of friends that have studied Egyptology and they can have a day in the museum and understand everything they see and where it fits in.

People that haven't had that opportunity would even know where to go never mind understand what they are seeing. So I would say unless you have studied use a guide.

However little tip, busy busy places just wait until a big group is coming round and latch on. Listen to the guide see how it improves your enjoyment and then decide. If you think the guide is good approach them and ask about a private trip.

If you want to arrange something before you arrive then I have intros to three Cairo guides who my guests always enjoy. See my profile for details or contact me through my website.

Jane Akshar - UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMIGOD, they are so NOT labeled. Maybe with a number, which is meaningless to you but the museum is crammed full of so many items you need a week to get through it all - and frankly museum 'overload' will settle in about 2 hrs later where everything on the first floor starts looking the same, the breathtaking walls full of little tiny delicate statues on the 2nd floor are walked by with indifference bcs they're nothing compared with treasure of tut, etc.

Get a guide.

pay your admissions fee. Look around a bit helplessly right after (you will be in the main courtyard in front of the museum entrance). soon a swarm of freelance guides will descend upon you. choose one you feel most comfortable with, negotiate time/rate. some will talk about 'official' rates as dictated by xyz, but really all of them must be official, qualified egyptologists (egyptians only) and rates are competitive.

they will take you on a "highlight" tour. after it's done, take a breather, relax, and then go back through the museum at your leisurely pace looking at things in more detail if you've the energy.

no guide needed for pyramids. it's all empty. also, any questions you may have about pyramids you can ask your egyptologist guide at the museum or consult your guidebook.

have fun!

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KeepinItReal
Member # 7946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeepinItReal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
OMIGOD, they are so NOT labeled. Maybe with a number, which is meaningless to you but the museum is crammed full of so many items you need a week to get through it all - and frankly museum 'overload' will settle in about 2 hrs later where everything on the first floor starts looking the same, the breathtaking walls full of little tiny delicate statues on the 2nd floor are walked by with indifference bcs they're nothing compared with treasure of tut, etc.

Get a guide.

pay your admissions fee. Look around a bit helplessly right after (you will be in the main courtyard in front of the museum entrance). soon a swarm of freelance guides will descend upon you. choose one you feel most comfortable with, negotiate time/rate. some will talk about 'official' rates as dictated by xyz, but really all of them must be official, qualified egyptologists (egyptians only) and rates are competitive.

they will take you on a "highlight" tour. after it's done, take a breather, relax, and then go back through the museum at your leisurely pace looking at things in more detail if you've the energy.

no guide needed for pyramids. it's all empty. also, any questions you may have about pyramids you can ask your egyptologist guide at the museum or consult your guidebook.

have fun!

I completely agree with you and couldn't have said it better. That's the same advice I would recommend recife.

Posts: 1063 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zeina20
Member # 569

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zeina20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
You can get a local guide from the museum , but my advice is to have a guide for the pyramids and the museum as a full day and i'm sure it will cost u the same ....
i'm a tour guide as well and i can arrange everything in hassle free tour , intersted e mail me phototalkegypt@yahoo.com www.zeina.faithweb.com
you can check my guest book ,
N.B i need to know the date to make sure that i'm free

Posts: 47 | From: tour guide | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KeepinItReal:
I completely agree with you and couldn't have said it better. That's the same advice I would recommend recife.

You are awesome. both of ya

Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KeepinItReal
Member # 7946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeepinItReal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corvinous:
You are awesome. both of ya

Thanks Corvinous. You're very kind.

Posts: 1063 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KeepinItReal
Member # 7946

Member Rated:
I personally don't feel you need a guide for the pyramids. Besides, it's such an incredible feeling to be standing amongst these ancient pyramids and sphinx that I just sat back on my own and took it all in thinking of all the famous and historical people who walked on that very soil. Just read up a bit before you go. I would also reccommend a camel ride around them. You will get some unbelievable views and the experience alone riding a camel is great. Although, make sure you get a relaxed camel because mine took off like a rocket and I was constantly slowing him down. I think he thought he was in a race. I guess that's what I get for wanting my own reins. So if you meet a camel named Charlie, say next please.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com