EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » marriage in cairo in october

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: marriage in cairo in october
Amina_A
Member # 8941

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amina_A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im going to Egypt on Oct.12 to stay with my fiance and his family for 19 days. We will be married there. We are both frantically trying to find out EXACTLY what needs to be authenticated for that. I know my divorse paper needs authentication and I need my passport and birth certificate but does the bc need authenticated? Also....does anyone know what needs to be submitted if applying in Egypt for my husband to come to usa? (If I apply in Egypt not after I come back home to USA.)Are there any tips out there?? Thanks, Amy
Posts: 10 | From: Sarasota, Florida USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try here http://cairo.usembassy.gov/ it has all the correct information.

BTW expect it to take about 2 years for your husband to get into the states (if they let him). A friend of mine has just done it and was told her application was one fo the fastest they had ever processed. But at least they are going to be together as a family for their childs third birthday.

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amina (love that name ), it took 5 months from submitting the emigration papers from Cairo to seeing my husband in Washington, DC airport (BTW, he had to find ME there after his arrival...LOLOLOL). I already thought it was too long and caused a lil stir... Akshar gave u great website: check it and also email consulate staff describing your situation (I did that), and ask for advice. To my best knowledge u will not be able to apply from Cairo as the rules changed and now you must be a resident there to apply (i don't think 19 days will cut as a permanent residency these days), but best bet is to ask them and get the name of the person that gave u the info, or at least save the email... Best of luck. (if u need, my email is karah_mia@yahoo.com)
Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgan
Member # 6662

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Morgan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karah_Mia:
Amina (love that name ), it took 5 months from submitting the emigration papers from Cairo to seeing my husband in Washington, DC airport (BTW, he had to find ME there after his arrival...LOLOLOL). I already thought it was too long and caused a lil stir... Akshar gave u great website: check it and also email consulate staff describing your situation (I did that), and ask for advice. To my best knowledge u will not be able to apply from Cairo as the rules changed and now you must be a resident there to apply (i don't think 19 days will cut as a permanent residency these days), but best bet is to ask them and get the name of the person that gave u the info, or at least save the email... Best of luck. (if u need, my email is karah_mia@yahoo.com)

ya a old polish slut' an her gigalo toyboy

Posts: 1223 | From: Home | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paint Me As I Am:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Karah_Mia:
[B]Amina (love that name ), it took 5 months from submitting the emigration papers from Cairo to seeing my husband in Washington, DC airport
/////////////////////////////////////

that was so fast Karah-- btw- do u mind if i e- mail u ..? i rather ask u first then just impose with a email..

Jannah

No problem, email me anytime! (karah_mia@y)

Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Morgan:
ya a old polish slut' an her gigalo toyboy

Slightly jealous, organ? I so missed your wit and brilliance ya charmeuse!

Amina_A
Member # 8941

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amina_A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I double checked and was told that i do not need my birth certificate--only my passport. Have things changed or was i misinformed???
quote:
I know my divorse paper needs authentication and I need my passport and birth certificate but does the bc need authenticated?

yes, ur birth certificate has to be authenticated as well,..

jannah

Posts: 10 | From: Sarasota, Florida USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookingfor love
Member # 2423

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookingfor love     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Amina_A:
[b]I double checked and was told that i do not need my birth certificate--only my passport. Have things changed or was i misinformed???

//////////////////////////////////////////

Take ur birth certificate and get it noterized in the county u were born.. then have it authenticated with the state seal..
u don't want to go all the way to Egypt and find out u can't get married cuz u failed to do this.. even if someone says u don't need it done.. ( I rather be safe than sorry) and when i was in Egypt i had to submit that part to our Embassy in Cairo.. U will need it..

Jannah

[/B][/QUOTE]

As ExpCa said on another thread why do people ask strangers on forums instead of asking their Embassy.
http://cairo.usembassy.gov/consular/marriage.htm

quote:

The only legal marriage in Egypt is a civil ceremony performed at the local marriage court, which is in accordance with Islamic practice. Persons wishing a religious ceremony may arrange for one separately, but it is the civil ceremony that establishes the legality of the marriage.

It is possible for foreigners to marry in Egypt.

The following documents are required:

1. Proof of identity (a passport).

2. Proof of termination of any previous marriages. The original or certified copy of the divorce decree or death certificate must be authenticated at an Egyptian Embassy or Consulate in the United States and then the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Cairo. Alternatively, the divorce decree can be authenticated by the Secretary of State of the state where the decree was issued, this is then authenticated by the Department of State, Authentications Office (A/OPR/GSM/AUTH), 518 23rd Street, NW, SA-1 Columbia Plaza Washington, D.C. 20520. Web page- http//www.state.gov.

3. Sworn statements of the parties involved that they are free to marry, and that they are of the Moslem, Christian, or Jewish faith. Interfaith marriages are permitted except in the case of a Moslem woman and a non-Moslem man.

4. A no-objection statement from the Embassy. NOTE: This is a formality required by the Egyptian government. It does not guarantee that the U.S. Embassy will issue an immigrant visa to an alien spouse.

The Embassy has devised an affidavit combining both the sworn statement of the party (no. 3 above) and the Embassy’s no-objection statement (no. 4 above). This affidavit is available from the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Cairo (Sunday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon), and must be notarized by a U.S. Consul. (Notarial fees are listed on the Fees for Selected Consular Services page.) The affidavit must then be certified at one of the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs Authentication offices before being taken to the Department of Justice’s marriage office.

5. Forms and questionnaires to be completed at the marriage court. These can only be obtained on the spot at the Department of Justice’s office of marriage on the wedding day or the day before. Applicants should have original versions and photocopies of all documents, as well as notarized Arabic translations for all documents not in the Arabic language. (Translation of documents from English into Arabic cannot be authenticated unless the originals were authenticated in the way described in item 2).

Any two male witnesses with identification documents (passport or I.D. card) must be present to sign the marriage documents. It might be better to have your own witnesses, such as a travel agent or a friend.

A woman is temporarily barred from marriage when she is in idda, the waiting period following divorce or death of the husband. Idda lasts four months and ten days for a widow, and approximately three months for a divorcee. After the idda the woman may remarry. This period is designed to ensure that she is not pregnant from her previous marriage.

A routine physical performed by an Egyptian doctor is sometimes required.

In addition to the notarial fee, fees to complete the marriage at the Ministry of Justice:

If both parties are Moslems, the fee is two percent of the dowry (not less than 40LE).

If both parties are Christians, a dowry is not required, and they will pay only 40-45LE.

Additional fees:

Translation fees, plus authentication fees if required.

The marriage certificate is recognized as a legal document in the United States and many other countries.

NOTE

To use the Egyptian marriage certificate in the U.S., it should be translated into English by the Translation Office in the Egyptian Ministry of Justice, then authenticated by the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and also certified by a U.S. Consul.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs Authentication Offices: Gameit el Dowal el Arabia Street, Mohandessin, Giza; Ahmed Said Street, Abbassia; or Sabak Street next to the Maryland Gardens in Heliopolis.

Civil Marriage Registration Office: Ministry of Justice Annex (Office of Marriage of Foreigners), 4th floor, Lazoughly Square, Abdin, Cairo. Open Saturday to Wednesday from 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.; Thursday from 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.

Ministry of Justice's translation office: Ministry of Justice Building, 13th floor, Lazoughly Square, Abdin, Cairo.

** It will take at least one week for a marriage certificate to be issued. This does not include translation.

** Marriage certificates should be picked up in person.

No mention of a birth certificate!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by lookingfor love (edited 30 September 2005).]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snapdragon
Member # 9036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snapdragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your divorce decree does NOT need to be authenticated as long as it is an original or certified copy from the court.

You will take it along with 180 Egyptian pounds to the American Embassy and your passport and fill out a form which will state that you are free to marry and your religion. You will pay the 180 pounds to get it notarized and that is all you need from them at that point.

If you have been divorced for more than 90 days (Idda), you can get married then.

You will take that notarized paper, the original divorce paper, more money (40 pounds) if you only put the minimum amount for the dowry. Two male witnesses with their ID's, your fiance, his ID, your passport and go to the Ministry of Marriage. (don't remember the address) All Egyptians know where this is in Cairo - don't worry.

For his immigration, expect a lengthy time frame for you and him to be together in America. You can get all the paperwork either at the American Embassy or at any INS office in the states with full instructions.

Good Luck!

quote:
Originally posted by Amina_A:
Im going to Egypt on Oct.12 to stay with my fiance and his family for 19 days. We will be married there. We are both frantically trying to find out EXACTLY what needs to be authenticated for that. I know my divorse paper needs authentication and I need my passport and birth certificate but does the bc need authenticated? Also....does anyone know what needs to be submitted if applying in Egypt for my husband to come to usa? (If I apply in Egypt not after I come back home to USA.)Are there any tips out there?? Thanks, Amy

Posts: 525 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
//////////////////////////////////////////

I still took mine- as well as divorce papers. like i said its a long flight and safer to be in taking it than sorry to not.

Maybe Karah_mia could expond on that- she did all the processing-and can let us know as well.

--Amina, Karah did include her e-mail address here send her a e-mail and ask her exactley step by step what she did..

I did exactly what Jannah did - 'just in case' got my birth certificate authenticated in my native embassy and then by US Department of State. It is not required by American side to get married in Cairo, however, you NEVER know what documents will Egyptian authorities ask you to show them (and they are ultimately the ones who will marry you!). Once again, better safe then sorry.
Once and for all: ALL FOREIGN DOCUMENTS TO BE USED IN EGYPT FOR ANY PURPOSE MUST BE AUTHENTICATED BY THE GOVERNMENT OF THE ISSUING PARTY. Amen.

Chiggie
Member # 3526

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chiggie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After collecting your marrige certificate from the Misery of justice after the 7 days wait, please remember to get the final stamps done otherwise you arent married. They cost just a fwe LE and require a bit of running around but are very important.
Posts: 29 | From: portsmouth, UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com