EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Valentine's day in 2006

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Valentine's day in 2006
egyptian_prince
Member # 7637

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian_prince     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am coming to Cairo in 2006 to spend Valentine's day with my fiancee and spend the rest of the holiday with her family.

Can anyone recommend a nice restuarant in Cairo to take my fiancee for Valentine's day?

Posts: 51 | From: London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't recommend any restaurant in Cairo since I am gone for quite some time. But I felt always comfortable in restaurants of bigger hotels which belong to international chains.

I also remember Valentin's Day to be a very "cheesy" time in Cairo.

Boy, your future wife is one lucky gal. You are doing your best, keep it up.

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 04 October 2005).]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian_prince
Member # 7637

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian_prince     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I try my best to make her happy, shes my world.

I was thinking the resturant in Cairo, The Revolving Resturant part of the Grand Hayatt Hotels.

I think it would be amazing!!

Have you heard of it?

quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
I can't recommend any restaurant in Cairo since I am gone for quite some time. But I felt always comfortable in restaurants of bigger hotels which belong to international chains.

I also remember Valentin's Day to be a very "cheesy" time in Cairo.

Boy, your future wife is one lucky gal. You are doing your best, keep it up.

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 04 October 2005).]

Posts: 51 | From: London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by egyptian_prince:

I was thinking the resturant in Cairo, The Revolving Resturant part of the Grand Hayatt Hotels.

Have you heard of it?

I liked the restaurants in the Semiramis Intercontinental Hotel. They were nice, with nice views of the Nile, but not so much atmosphere since they *are* in hotels, after all. I'm sure someone could recommend something cooler.

Although the revolving restaurant sounds cool!

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian_prince
Member # 7637

Rate Member
Many thanks.

I hope so!

quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
I liked the restaurants in the Semiramis Intercontinental Hotel. They were nice, with nice views of the Nile, but not so much atmosphere since they *are* in hotels, after all. I'm sure someone could recommend something cooler.

Although the revolving restaurant sounds cool!

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Have you heard of it?

The food is supposed to be awful and overpriced.

What kind of food does your fiancée like? And what kind of atmosphere are you looking for?

I personally think Sequoia in Zamalek is a lovely place – great atmosphere (different from most venues in town), nice view, yummy food, outdoors ...

[This message has been edited by Dalia (edited 06 October 2005).]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian_prince
Member # 7637

Rate Member
I think I will be interested in that.

What kind of food do they offer?

What kind of atmosphere is it?

quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by egyptian_prince:
[b]

Have you heard of it?

The food is supposed to be awful and overpriced.

What kind of food does your fiancée like? And what kind of atmosphere are you looking for?

I personally think Sequoia in Zamalek is a lovely place – great atmosphere (different from most venues in town), nice view, yummy food, outdoors ...

[This message has been edited by Dalia (edited 06 October 2005).][/B][/QUOTE]

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
went to it some years back when it first opened. the food wasn't awful - it just wasn't eventful. but the prices were extremely high and left you feeling that the view nor the food were really worth the price.

i would suggest if you really want those views, to maybe end your evening there with dessert.

by 2006, i'm sure a new hot 'in' restaurant will be opened. try yallabina.com - they have a section reviewing new restaurants.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think I will be interested in that.

What kind of food do they offer?

What kind of atmosphere is it?

Sequoia
3 Abu El Feda St., Zamalek
Tel: 737 0523 / 5   735 0014

I had a few friends visiting Cairo, and having been recommended Sequoia by a friend, we went the last night they were in town and it was incredible! Not being sure about the need to make reservations, we went ahead and made them anyways. So when we arrived about 20 minutes late, our worries were laid to rest, seeing as the staff didn’t seem upset (they even joked that they had given our table away – which gained me a furious look from my friends, and I know not to come between them and their food). We were shown to one of the tables overlooking the Nile (as opposed to further in, although take it from me, any location pretty much has an amazing view). 

Sequoia is another example of the opportunities to be found in the gastronomically regenerated City of Cairo. It is not really a restaurant in the conventional sense (although one can eat well and informally), nor a café in the English or French sense (although one can drink good coffee and cappuccino). It is however very unusual and an eclectic mix of styles. It’s subdivided into three different areas – Shebatta, Andrea Hookah Café and Yazeed.

Shebatta is apparently named after an Italian bread, shaped like a slipper (you learn something new every day) and is unique in that artwork is displayed for a period of one month.  Andrea Hookah Café is named after or is also known as a shisha, whereas Yazeed is named after the Sufi philosopher Bestami Yazeed.

We were sitting in Andrea Hookah Café and let me tell you, it was a great night. The décor is chic, modern and atmospheric enough to match the rather exotic food (and by exotic I mean Oriental to me but exotic to my visiting friends). The wood floors play host to low tables surrounded by plush chairs and stools, and are accented by draped canopy’s overhead. The tables are not too close together – there is no sense in crowding – but one can chat with a neighboring table and that seems to be what happens quite often (or maybe we were the only ones who didn’t know other people).  There is an attractive bar at one side where a few people can sit, again on stools, and select something to drink from the predominantly non alcoholic menu.

It does tend to be a little more of a club atmosphere at night, and can be a little rowdy especially as it attracts a mainly 20 something crowd.

The menu is pretty much standard oriental fare. It’s broken down into cold and hot mezze’s, grills and other main courses. If you plan to order mezze’s, it’s advisable to share, since the quantities are not exactly the most fulfilling, but buy sharing , you’ll get a more communal experience and be more satisfied.  One thing well worth pointing out is the shisha choices you have. And I must say, neither I (excluding my visiting companions who found everything exciting) nor any of my other friends have seen such a wide range of shisha flavours. The waiter brings over a tray laden with small samples of what’s on offer. You can smell each concoction which vary from the traditional to the unconventional, and then decide. Personally, I found the shisha’s to be extremely delightful. They have a relaxing buzz and make a great accompaniment for conversation and a cup of tea.

My only real gripe was that the ambient temperature was at least a couple of degrees below comfort and I was tempted to ask my girlfriend back for my jacket as to keep myself warm. In all though, it was an enjoyable experience and somewhere I will visit again.

www.cairodining.com/default.asp?action=article&ID=1499

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian_prince
Member # 7637

Rate Member
When you say over priced, how much is it?

Could you give me an example?

quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
went to it some years back when it first opened. the food wasn't awful - it just wasn't eventful. but the prices were extremely high and left you feeling that the view nor the food were really worth the price.

i would suggest if you really want those views, to maybe end your evening there with dessert.

by 2006, i'm sure a new hot 'in' restaurant will be opened. try yallabina.com - they have a section reviewing new restaurants.

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gosh, I can't recall exactly...except thinking that the starters were priced to what main entrees were at the more expensive restaurants...like LE50-70 and the main entrees were over LE100 a plate.

We took a friend out for a bday dinner so I do recall fighting over the bill, which was something like $150 for 3 people.

I know it may not sound like a lot for what is suppose to be an exclusive restaurant in a major city -- but restaurants are cheaper in Cairo than most major cities.

And really, when the dinner is a 'gift' and it's suppose to be a celebration it's not even about the money. It's more that we walked out thinking the quality of food was comparable to a mid priced restaurant like cortigiano (a local italian chain)which would've cost maybe LE70-90 for all 3 people.

Hence, the view wasn't worth the price.

And there's a lot of other nice romantic spots in Cairo. Like I said, just wait and check Yallabina a month before. I'm sure they'll have a write up about the romantic spots to take your fiancee to.

Plus, you have a few months to indirectly find out what her favorite place is. What would make it special is if you reserved a private dining room at her favorite restaurant.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Who are you talking about? I thought you posted a "desperately-seeking-a-wife" type of post some time ago..

Are you seeing ghosts or what?!

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian_prince
Member # 7637

Rate Member
Are you talking to me?

If so, I am afraid your mistaken for somebody else. I wouldn't go find a wife through a forum! That is not my style at all.

quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
Who are you talking about? I thought you posted a "desperately-seeking-a-wife" type of post some time ago..

Are you seeing ghosts or what?!

egyptian_prince
Member # 7637

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for egyptian_prince     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks guys!

that has been great advise!

the more the better

whats the weather like in cairo at the moment?

cairo is the best city in the world!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com