EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » What to do in HUGHADA?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What to do in HUGHADA?
SphynxKitten
Member # 9191

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SphynxKitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!
Me and my boyfriend are leaving for Hurghada next Thursday, and we are trying to plan a bit ahead since we will only stay for a week.

I know for sure that one day will have to go to see the pyramids :-)
But has anyone been to Hurghada, and know what the city is like?
It looks like just a bunch of hotles, is it only scandinavians, or do you get a glimpse of Egypt there too?
Are there any clubs there?
Any good tips on restaurants?
Any tips will be greatly apprecaited!
I'm really looking forward to my first Egyptian trip :-)

[This message has been edited by SphynxKitten (edited 07 October 2005).]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sofitel26
Member # 9190

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sofitel26     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi..i work for the owner company of Sofitel hotels in egypt ,and we have one hotel in hurgada ..i have been there 4 times ,last one from one week..Hurgada is very nice place for whom who like sea ,beaches & warm weather ..it is full of nice hotels ..and our hotel have private beaches there .other 5 stars hotels also the same ..but for Sofitel Hotel ..there u can enjoy big swiming pool ,nice beaches,5 star hotel services , bars,night parties , russian shows & animations ..also the bus can take you to the old city of hurgada where u can find markets , shops and resturants ..also u can take the speed boat to Sharm El Shiekh ..anyway Hurgada is so nice place to enjoy time comparing to the money u will pay ( for me i didnt pay a cent there ) but everyone say that it is cheap nice place
Posts: 6 | From: cairo,egypt | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sofitel26
Member # 9190

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sofitel26     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
also ont forget to take a very nice trip by the glass boat from the hotel u r going to stay in..u can enjoy seeing very nice corals there even dolphin groups if u will be lucky
Posts: 6 | From: cairo,egypt | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go fishing, I heard you get 1 kilo extra over every 2 kilos purchased ... I mean fished ....... LOL
Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chiggie
Member # 3526

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chiggie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a 5 hour bus ride from Hurghada to Cairo which, depending on how adventurous you are, you can organise yourself using public transport or use an agent and have a more organised (and expensive) trip or there are direct daily flights but these are very expensive.

Other things to do:

Take a scuba diving lesson

Take a half day snorkling trip which is great fun.

A desert safari on quad bikes to a 'Beduin village'. You spend an hour travelling through the desert to the village, have a look around, usually have a small buffet meal and then climb a small mountain to watch the sun go down. It's quite good fun but i would advise taking a few snacks and drinks with you and the toilet facilities are basic and filthy! Also, purchase an Arafat style scarf before you go as they charge a fortune for them and you really need them to keep the dust out of your face. The drive back in the dark is exhilirating!

Go shopping in the fixed price shops in Sheriton road.

Go to the Aqua park.

Try the amusement park in the evening...it's errmmmm...different.

Eat in Summerland II which is just around the corner from MacDonalds. It's inexpensive and very good food and is used by tourists, expats and locals...and it's open 24/7.

Do not use the private taxis buses (All taxis/buses are the little mini bus style) as they are very expensive. Look out for groups of locals waiting and join them. Get on the mini bus and hand over 50pts per person.

Go for a wander around the Government shop in El Dhar (fixed prices on everything and the dust is thrown in free..lol)

Go to El Souk street and buy lots of spices from a little spice shop opposite Big Brother Bazaar. Ask for Sayed or Mohamed as they speak very good English, passable German, Italian and Russian and a smattering of French. Tell them Ann sent you.

Take a day trip to Luxor to see the Valley of the Kings and Luxor and Karnak Temple.

Lay on the beach and do absolutely nothing all day.

Posts: 29 | From: portsmouth, UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrumpyGherkin
Member # 4970

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrumpyGherkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kitten

Yes, Hurghada is just a bunch of hotels. There are plenty of clubs, the most popular seems to be Pappas Beach. Scandinavians in Hurghada ? There may be a few, but the main tourists are Russian and German.

Hurghada is not a great example of what a great country Egypt is. Definitely organize yourself some tours out of there. Try and visit Luxor for a few days and of course Cairo. Take a bus ride for 20 minutes and go visit El Gouna, especially at night, very romantic.

Restaurants in Hurghada are bad ! The one restaurant I will recommend is FelFella. Great food and wonderful view.

Have a fun and safe trip

Posts: 84 | From: Gherkin Land | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Show Time
Member # 8513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Show Time     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ya I like Pappas ; you gotta try it
Posts: 627 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SphynxKitten
Member # 9191

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SphynxKitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for all the great tips and ideas!
I have a long list of things to do now
does anyone know the prices of the sinbad submarine trip? (i've been doing a bit investigation of my own ;-) )
Also I heard about a club called the Chill, and they have a goo thursday party there, is this right?
Which currency is used, egyptian or dollar?

Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chiggie
Member # 3526

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chiggie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egyptian, US Dollars, Euros and paper Sterling (rarely are coins accepted)

I cant remember how much the submarine trip is but it is very expensive. If your budget is a little tight, a glass bottom boat is a good alternative AND you can go snorkling off it.

Posts: 29 | From: portsmouth, UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GrumpyGherkin,

Sorry to disagree but not all the food is bad here in Hurghada.

Cafe del Mar & Pitta Sphinx both offer very good, well presented, with a big variety of food.

The new Scruples in Sheraton Road is also very good.

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redsea
Member # 3150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for redsea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to add to Semsema's post... ESPLANADA SPHINX in the new mall by Macdonalds which is run by the same family as Pita Sphinx is also excellant.

Grumpy Gherkin also likes Pita Sphinx think she forgot that one!!

Posts: 88 | From: egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Semsema:
GrumpyGherkin,

Sorry to disagree but not all the food is bad here in Hurghada.

Cafe del Mar & Pitta Sphinx both offer very good, well presented, with a big variety of food.

The new Scruples in Sheraton Road is also very good.

Cafe Del Mar .. the food is ok, if you can avoid the German owner...
This guy is the grumpy bastard from hell!!~!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
essame
Member # 9159

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for essame     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi SphynxKitten,

well many people have told you a lot about Hurghada. It is true that you don't really see Egyptian life there, local people you see more in the El Dahar which is the old town of Hurghada, but not so much anyways.
Yeah there are minibusses which are travelling between Sakkala and El Dahar just jump in and hand in the money 50 piasters to one pund. Not more unless the minibus is empty then it turns out as a normal taxi and it is better to agree the price before jumping in.

Hurghada is quite noisy town with all the peeping cars but after a while you don't hear it anymore.
Tourism is the living there so it is good to be prepared that lot of men are shouting after you and trying to sell stuff. Just don't pay too much, usually you can take at least half or more out of the first price they are suggesting.
And don't tell them that you are there at the first time because then they raise the price even more

In Hurghada there are lot of discos and night clubs, Papas Beach is the most popular or Calypso. But try also some smaller ones like African Bar (upstairs of Bella Vista hotel) and then nice cafe is Mr.X. You will see when you go there!
One week will go so fast!

And if you want some real Egyptian food and lower prices go to the restaurants which are not on the main streets. There are lot of nice small restaurants on the smaller streets. Of course there is always a possibility to get some bacteria but I have been there many times and usually I eat in the local restaurants and so far I haven't got any problems with my stomach. But of course it is possible.

Well maybe this helps. The best way to find out is just to go there and enjoy! Sun will be quaranteed! Just stay with your boyfriend and you might not get so much attention from Egyptian guys

Posts: 12 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tasha
Member # 9224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi SphinxKitten!
I am from Russia. I was in Hurghada 2 times. I love this place and my holiday was always unforgetable. You asks about Chill. But it is unfortunaitly closed. I advice you to go to Calypso discoteque. Papas beach - I didnt like it. There are many discos in Hurghada: Aquafun, Sindbad, Black House etc. What about restorants: El mina, El Jocker, Felfela. Have a nice Holiday!

Posts: 3 | From: Moscow Russia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrumpyGherkin
Member # 4970

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrumpyGherkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, Ok, Redsea - Pita Sphinx is ok but I still prefer FelFela. My favourite was Kiki's in ElGouna for Italitan but something has happened to that place. The food there is really BAD now and the owner is not so friendly

Anyway, I heard about the best place for a bacon sanger is from the smoke filled kitchen of the famous chef RedSea ! Had any explosions lately ?

Posts: 84 | From: Gherkin Land | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redsea
Member # 3150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for redsea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO!!! not lately anyway, keep well away from the cooker, just couldn't help myself knowing the bacon was in the freezer but noone to cook it. Trouble is I filled the whole building with smoke. I wish I could get the eggs and fried bread to go with it at the same time instead of eating it in relays. Do you think it's time Grump for you to cook another Lasagne???? When are you coming down?? What about Christmas are you cooking Christmas Lunch??????
Posts: 88 | From: egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrumpyGherkin
Member # 4970

Rate Member
Hehehe RedSea ! You need to go to cooking boot camp. Either that or you need someone 24/7 to make sure you don't blow up or burn down the building. At least I taught you how to make a cup of tea.

Definitely time for another lasagne. I have to admit it was good. Pity it didn't make it to the freezer thanks to me eating most of it. I reckon that's what helped with the extra 20 kilos I stacked on.

Now, was that an invite for Christmas or was that an invite to made the dinner ?????? Not sure where I will be by then, but of course always look forward to seeing you - never a dull moment and I still have to win a game of rooms, now where did I put the key errr spanner ? Get the game master to Vegas I say !

Just got back from the dentist. If I was crying a lot before, now I am screaming. 2 crowns, 2 root canals & 8 fillings all for 4200le. Looks like I am off to rip all my teeth out with some pliers then, unless you want to fill in for me in the chair ?????

redsea
Member # 3150

Rate Member
Good God Grump!!!! Have them all out it would be cheaper....and to show you what a good friend I am, I will buy you a nice English Crystal Glass for Christmas, to put your new ones in LOL.

It was an invite for Christmas and to cook the dinner!!!! You have to come before Christmas to help me put all the singing Father Christmas and Fairy lights up and decorate the tree!

We have now got Trivia Pursuit to play aswell as rooms, let's see if we can win at that considering it's in English we might stand a slight chance.

Don't talk to me about Vegas, he is now playing online Poker!!!

Arabia
Member # 9276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arabia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The main Races

There are two main Races

1st ATVs Race
--------------------
The total length is 300 km divided into 6 phases and each phase contents

50 km in the desert road this 50 km divided into:

* 40 Km. Acceleration distance

* 200 m Mud area

* 2 Km Jumping area

* 7.8 Km acceleration distance

Each competitor's time will be recorded in each phase.

The evaluation for Competitor is according to the total time in the 6 Phases.

2nd Motor cycle's Race:
--------------------------------

It is one way road for 90 km along the asphalting road.

That is starting in El-Tur city & ending in SHARM city.

Conatct arabia
+2010 180 22 09
info@egyptrally.com www.egyptrally.com

Posts: 80 | From: Alexandria, Sharm Elshiekh, Egypt | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com