EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » DISLIKING OTHERS WITHOUT VALID REASONS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DISLIKING OTHERS WITHOUT VALID REASONS
Sadeeqy
Member # 9759

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sadeeqy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PREJUDICE

quote:
Where Do Prejudices Come From?

Prejudice is a premature judgment--a positive or a negative attitude towards a person or group of people which is not based on objective facts. These prejudgments are usually based on stereotypes which are oversimplified and overgeneralized views of groups or types of people. Or, a prejudgment may be based on an emotional experience we have had with a similar person, sort of our own personal stereotype. Stereotypes also provide us with role expectations, i.e. how we expect the other person (or group) to relate to us and to other people. Our culture has hundreds of ready-made stereotypes: leaders are dominant, arrogant men; housewives are nice but empty headed; teenagers are music crazed car-fanatics; very smart people are weird, and on and on. Of course, sometimes a leader or housewife or teenager is somewhat like the stereotype but it is a gross injustice to automatically assume they all are.

Prejudice, in the form of negative put-downs, justifies oppression and helps those of us "on top" feel okay about being there. Prejudice can be a hostile, resentful feeling--an unfounded dislike for someone, an unfair blaming or degradation of others. It is a degrading attitude that helps us feel superior or chauvinistic. Of course, the misjudged and oppressed person resents the unfair judgment. Discrimination (like aggression) is an act of dealing with one person or group differently than another. One may be positively or negatively biased towards a person or group; this behavior does not necessarily reflect the attitude (prejudice) one feels towards that person or group. You might recognize your prejudiced feelings are unreasonable and refuse to act in unfair ways.

When we are prejudiced, we violate three standards: reason, justice, and/or tolerance. We are unreasonable if we judge others negatively without evidence or in spite of positive evidence or use stereotypes without allowing for individual differences. We are unjust if we discriminate and pay men 1/3 more for the same work as women or select more men than women for leadership positions or provide more money for male extra-curricular activities in high school than for female activities. We are intolerant if we reject or dislike people because they are different, e.g. of a different religion, different socioeconomic status, or have a different set of values. We violate all three standards when we have a scapegoat, i.e. a powerless and innocent person we blame for something he/she didn't do.

Posts: 1744 | From: Romania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *tigerman*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we are prejudiced, we violate three standards: reason, justice, and/or tolerance.

TRUE

--------------------
PEACE

Posts: 2691 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs. Doubtfire
Member # 9731

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs. Doubtfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What an absurd thing to say. I might be prejudiced towards, alcoholics, drug addicts and criminals who hurt wound and kill people, but that does not mean that I am being unreasonable, unjust nor intolerant.

To be prejudice means that I am being fair to myself. It acts as a mental warning that I might be in danger of allowing my sensibilities to make a mistake which could be put at a considerable disadvantage.

Next time you are walking along a darkened street late at night and you see a crowd of yobs standing on the corner, forget about things like "intolerance" "injustice" and all that crap - cross to the other side and avoid them altogether.

Posts: 304 | From: egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger1225:
When we are prejudiced, we violate three standards: reason, justice, and/or tolerance.

TRUE

What if they smell and they are ugly.

Am I being prejudicial then?

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *tigerman*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
quote:

TRUE

What if they smell and they are ugly.

Am I being prejudicial then?

Beauity is a relevant term..what you see as ugly ...there will be others who consider it beautiful...and as for the smell ..somewhere in the world body oder is not offensive...
So ..here you have it..even if they are ugly and smelly ..they are still human..from the same mold you were made off..Just you do not know why they are the way they are...

So ..I guess we ought to leave Judgement to the Judgement day and for who is able to Judge because HE knows it all...

Posts: 2691 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So ..I guess we ought to leave Judgement to the Judgement day and for who is able to Judge because HE knows it all...

I am sure that God agrees with me, after all she made me beautiful and lovely! [Big Grin]
Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

quote:
quote:

I am sure that God agrees with me, after all she made me beautiful and lovely! [Big Grin]
Beautiful and Lovely...I agree also SHE made all others as so..
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah heard of the food chain?

not all animals have equality in the way of physcial attractiveness or pleasure in life.

*tigerman*
Member # 9196

quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. Doubtfire:
What an absurd thing to say. I might be prejudiced towards, alcoholics, drug addicts and criminals who hurt wound and kill people, but that does not mean that I am being unreasonable, unjust nor intolerant.

To be prejudice means that I am being fair to myself. It acts as a mental warning that I might be in danger of allowing my sensibilities to make a mistake which could be put at a considerable disadvantage.

Next time you are walking along a darkened street late at night and you see a crowd of yobs standing on the corner, forget about things like "intolerance" "injustice" and all that crap - cross to the other side and avoid them altogether.

Oh dear Mrs Doubtfire you can respectfuly choose not to be assaciated with certin people because of there behaviar but to act on it and make life as hell that is prejudice .how about if that alchoholic or addict is a family member or a friend that you love but he or she was driven to the wrong path...Prejudece is to discriminate against people for who they are or what they beleive in without giving yourself the chance to open your heart or mind to know and accept...
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

not all animals have equality in the way of physcial attractiveness or pleasure in life.

Yes ...but if you place yourself in the food chain you will find after all that you are not at the top..and you will be eaten sooner or later..same disteny for who is on the bottom ..remember the circle of life..
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. Doubtfire:

Wow, hadn't thougt about street corners before like that.

Most of the public transit stops are on street corners so I don't associate them in this manner.

Besides most of the drugs are sold in nightclubs, frat houses, suburban swingers clubs, country clubs, and campus dorms around here.

I like my ghetto, I love my ghetto, I feel safe from all those drug hoping white people here. [Razz]

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes ...but if you place yourself in the food chain you will find after all that you are not at the top..and you will be eaten sooner or later..same disteny for who is on the bottom ..remember the circle of life..
Come on dammit let me keep my fantasy. [Frown]
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

quote:
[/qb]

[/QB][/QUOTE]
If it works for you ...Ok ...Keep your fantasy then..

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

[/QB]

If it works for you ...Ok ...Keep your fantasy then.. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I mean it in jest. Besides it helps me deal with such a warped superficial existance my family lives in.

ROFL [Big Grin]

loborules
Member # 5457

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for loborules     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whats up? Lobo loves the ghetto too ... [Big Grin]
Posts: 816 | From: On top of a dog house | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

quote:
Originally posted by crazylobo:
whats up? Lobo loves the ghetto too ... [Big Grin]

ROFL..Lobo will always find a place in the gettos.. [Wink] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
loborules
Member # 5457

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for loborules     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can take Lobo out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of Lobo ....

Ha ha ha

Posts: 816 | From: On top of a dog house | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com