EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » ATM's in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ATM's in Egypt
jarvis
Member # 9832

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for jarvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. are there ATM's

2. where would they be at if there are some?

3.do they take visa?

4. do they hand out Egyption money? or American money?

5. I heard getting small change in Egypt is an adventure in itself....
I have heard there's a consperacy to prevent toutrists from getting egyptian change because, eygptions want tourists to tip with higher valued currency.....

6...if #5 is true...why would'nt Americans just bring a bunch of quarters to tip in Egypt? thats what Im planing on doing...

they say your supposed to tip most eygptions 1 egypt pound...which is basicly worth a US. quarter..

so I see a quarter as the solution...for tipping people who open doors, do the restroom thing, ect...

Posts: 229 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tran
Member # 9775

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To
Insure
Prompt
Services

Posts: 58 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are ATMs outside every bank, just like they are in any other country, and also in major hotels, shopping malls, and large shops. If you are in a major city you will find them everywhere, in a smaller town/village, you may not find so many or have to go to the nearest town. But if you are in tourist areas, you will be tripping over them.

Visa can be used in most ATM machines.

As the local currency is Egyptian pounds, all ATMs dispense Egyptian money, although I hear that some do offer the alternative for UD $s.

As US currency is not the currency used in Egypt, giving quarters as tips here would be like tipping an American porter with Egyptian pounds...inappropriate! If you want to give paper currency that would be ok, as they will be able to change it at the banks, but coins are worthless.

Yes, people do try to get as big a tip as they can out of tourists, because they know that what they would consider as a large tip would be an insignificant amount to most tourists. But if you want to tip at a lower rate, all you have to do is ask in the banks for change.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
As the local currency is Egyptian pounds, all ATMs dispense Egyptian money, although I hear that some do offer the alternative for UD $s.

I have a dollar account at Arab Bank and can chose whether I want Dollars or Egyptian Pounds at the ATM.

Jarvis, I agree with newcomer, tipping in a foreign currency would be very inappropriate.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jarvis
Member # 9832

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jarvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats suppriseing, I heard the dollar was prefered by tour guides and the guards who ride with you...

Im gonna make sure I tip them guys right...

I just don't know what to expect..I mean are people comeing up to you every minute for money over there?
heck I don't mind tipping, I understand now that it's what makes, egypt go round...I just don't want to be the sucker tourist..or the cheapskate tourist..I want to do it right.

thats why I ask now..instaed of haveing trouble latter...planning ahead..preperation, prepairedness,ect..these are traits I beleive in..

Posts: 229 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jarvis:
thats suppriseing, I heard the dollar was prefered by tour guides and the guards who ride with you...

Dollars maybe, but not quarters!
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jarvis
Member # 9832

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for jarvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There seems to be a common misconseption about Americans haveing a money tree in their backyard..

either that or someone hasen't pointed out this money tree to me...

here's what I found online:

I've been on several tours to Egypt and I still don't know how much to tip. I feel I either tip too much or too little. What would be considered average?
Your tour may already include tips, so it is best you first check with your travel agent. But usually you would pay not less than LE 5 per bag to the bellman/porter, LE 3 for maid service/housekeeping per night, 12-15% to your waiter if the service charge has not already been added, and if it has, then you may add a little extra, depending on the service you received. LE 20 p.day for your cruise staff, plus something extra for the Cruise Director. for doormen, toilet attendants, and anyone doing you a small service, LE 1 is sufficient. Given a good heart, anything you give will be gratefully received.

http://www.vikingegypt.com/travaid.shtml

apperently 1 LE = about a 5th of a US dollar
a quarter is 1/4th of a US dollar..thus seems to surpass they generally ask for 1 LE..

I see nothing wrong with putting a little jingel jangel in a persons pocket for doormen, bathroom attendants, ect...

I see no reason why a quarter would not be sufficent...if a dollar is good a quarter is 1/4th as good as a dollar.

newcomer
Member # 1056

If you read what I wrote above you will see that I what I was saying was that they can change paper money in the bank to get Egyptian money that they can spend in the shops to buy food to feed their families; the banks will not change coins, i.e. quarters, so that is all they will be: "a little jingel jangel in a persons pocket" as they will not be able to change them!

Unless you know better, that is?

jarvis
Member # 9832

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jarvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why won't an egyptian bank exchange coins?

here's the deal...instaed of over tipping, a person in egypt who has a job, I'd rather see a person in egypt who hasen't anything get my tipping money..

(Im mean like sick people, or starveing people)

newcomer
Member # 1056

It's international practice for banks, as a rule, not to change foreign coins.

Most people who are working in the service industry here rely on tips to get a decent living wage as they are probably earning under 600LE per month, and that is if they are working in a good place and have some training, others could be earning 200LE per month and trying to support a family on that!

If you want to donate money to charity as well that is good, but in the same way you wouldn't deprive a waitress at home of her tip or refuse to pay the service charge there, you shouldn't do it here. Tip fairly and donate to a recognized charity too!

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

For the same reason banks in other countries won't exchange coins?
Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loborules
Member # 5457

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for loborules     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jarvis why don't you read the Lonely Planet or Fodor's book's on Egypt? It covers everything ...
Posts: 816 | From: On top of a dog house | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jarvis
Member # 9832

Rate Member
it's easier to ask questions on here.
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey Jarvis,
Why not change your money into pounds and tip an Egyptian pound, rather than trying to figure it from US dollars?
Besides the advice you've gotten here regarding the problem with changing coins, you might look a little peculiar with all those quarters in your pants. Heehee.

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jarvis
Member # 9832

Rate Member
them ain't quarters babydoll...

[Smile]

tran
Member # 9775

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

here's the deal...instaed of over tipping, a person in egypt who has a job, I'd rather see a person in egypt who hasen't anything get my tipping money..

(Im mean like sick people, or starveing people)

Great Idea . there is a lot of charitythat feed peoplewho need food
Posts: 58 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorothy
Member # 9945

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dorothy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

Can anyone tell me if there are ATMs n Luxor and if so do they take Maestro or Switch.

Dorothy

Posts: 2 | From: England | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorothy
Member # 9945

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dorothy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also what are the denominations of Egyptian currency please.
Posts: 2 | From: England | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com