EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Tour Egypt On Line (Video + Stills)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tour Egypt On Line (Video + Stills)
IntrepidBerkeleyExplorer
Member # 2514

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for IntrepidBerkeleyExplorer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Movie that was 5,000 Years in the Making.

In my film “King Tut, Ramses, and Me”, the Intrepid Berkeley Explorer time travels through Egypt; featuring the Pyramids of Giza, and a talking Sphinx; King Tut; the temples of Luxor (Thebes); sailing on the Nile; Cairo mosques; and much more.

This is a free, non-commercial, streaming video on the Windows Media Player. No ads and no strings attached. I sell absolutely nothing. All you need is a high speed internet connection.

My video site is:

http://www.geocities.com/intrepidberkeleyexplorer/Video.html

The new gallery of still pictures from Egypt can be viewed with any modem at:

http://www.geocities.com/intrepidberkeleyexplorer/Page9.html

There are 30 of my other amateur travel videos on-line. Visit Italy, England, Antarctica, Bali, Australia, China, Russia, Florida, Mayan Pyramids, Kenya, Hawaii, Greece, American National Parks, or Turkey; see elephants, whales, penguins, or polar bears.

The planet is yours, including my Home Page giant galaxy of still pictures at:

http://www.geocities.com/intrepidberkeleyexplorer/

The Intrepid Berkeley Explorer

Posts: 23 | From: Berkeley, CA, United States | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jarvis
Member # 9832

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jarvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could'nt get the video to work, but the pictures were very good....

did they charge you video fees to take all them pictures in egypt?

Posts: 229 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IntrepidBerkeleyExplorer
Member # 2514

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IntrepidBerkeleyExplorer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jarvis,

First of all, the video ought to stream. Usually something is interfering, such as a pop-up blocker. This page discusses common problems and their solutions:

http://www.geocities.com/intrepidberkeleyexplorer/VideoProblemSolver.html

I remember a video fee at the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. Otherwise, video was either allowed without a fee or simply banned. The bans included inside the Pyramids, the Valley of the Kings as a whole, plus two sound and light shows.

The fees make far more sense to me than banning video.

--------------------
David Mundstock

Posts: 23 | From: Berkeley, CA, United States | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jarvis
Member # 9832

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jarvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IntrepidBerkeleyExplorer, were you on a tour? what would you do with your video camera, if they said ,video's were banned? and you still wanted to go in?

would you recommend takeing a video camera to egypt?
and besides a flash hurting paint, why would they ban a video camera?

I wonder if infra -red light hurts anything?

Posts: 229 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IntrepidBerkeleyExplorer
Member # 2514

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IntrepidBerkeleyExplorer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jarvis,

My trip to Egypt was in 1992, so the rules on video may have changed since then. I had been the only one booking a particular tour, which fortunately was not canceled. I ended up being passed along from guide to guide, and that worked pretty well.

Anybody who wants to do video should take their camera and do the best that is possible, in Egypt and everywhere else.

Sometimes there is no way around these stupid bans on video, which often lack any reasons at all. Many bans are purely commercial, because there is a video for sale to tourists. Some bans on photography are religious, yet vary so much as to make zero sense. There's always guilt by association where the original ban was against flash.

I have taken my share of illegal video, such as where the rules were obviously not enforced and/or everybody else was doing it.

Mostly I try to avoid risks in recent years. It was no fun having a wacko monk grab my camera in China and not let go because I'm photographing a large statue of Buddha that's off limits. But the guides also grabbed the camera and eventually talked the mad monk into letting go.

So I skip what cannot be photographed, and use those images which are possible, such as taking video of my stills. You hopefully will see that in the Egypt film. Video at a gift shop can often produce a good substitute for whatever is banned. There are many ways to safely do it.

--------------------
David Mundstock

jarvis
Member # 9832

Rate Member
IntrepidBerkeleyExplorer, thanks for the info, I have been trying to find on the net a comprehensive list on video fees and rules for video in eygpt, and have found very little,which is supriseing, because :

a. most of egypt is muslim, so why would they fret over a person takeing video of tomb,pyrimids, and temples, that have nothing to do with islam what so ever...??

and

b. egypt tombs, temples and pyrimids are probably the most photograpable anceint relics in the world.

there seems to be no structure in the eygption goverment on video rules...

which is suppriseing, because I heard the goverment has quite an influcence in eygption life..

Im not trying to take any risks..I don't want to film anything that the goverment, or religious folks in egypt don't want filmed....thats why Im trying to find out what "exactly" are the do's and don'ts.... [Confused]

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jarvis:
IntrepidBerkeleyExplorer, thanks for the info, I have been trying to find on the net a comprehensive list on video fees and rules for video in eygpt, and have found very little,which is supriseing, because :

a. most of egypt is muslim, so why would they fret over a person takeing video of tomb,pyrimids, and temples, that have nothing to do with islam what so ever...??

and

b. egypt tombs, temples and pyrimids are probably the most photograpable anceint relics in the world.

there seems to be no structure in the eygption goverment on video rules...

which is suppriseing, because I heard the goverment has quite an influcence in eygption life..

Im not trying to take any risks..I don't want to film anything that the goverment, or religious folks in egypt don't want filmed....thats why Im trying to find out what "exactly" are the do's and don'ts.... [Confused]

http://www.bigfive.com/country-guides/Egypt.pdf#search='photograph%20prohibited%20inside%20pyramids%20tombs'
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jarvis
Member # 9832

Rate Member
thanks snoozin, why do you think they don't want you takeing photo's in the pyrimids?

1. to keep them mystrious?
2. it will hurt something?

jarvis
Member # 9832

Rate Member
3. they get mucho big bucks to tape in pyrimids? way above a tourists price range?
IntrepidBerkeleyExplorer
Member # 2514

Rate Member
Jarvis,

Don't concern yourself with the ban on video inside the Pyramids at Giza. The insides of Old Kingdom era tombs are dark and not very interesting. An empty stone coffin is what's been left behind, and not much else. (Based upon 2 Giza Pyramid visits, not the Great Pyramid.)

Saqqara, older than Giza has underground tombs where video was allowed in 1992. Probably still is. If you've seen my film by now, I show tomb interior footage, and it's from Saqqara.

The only truly painful ban on video is the Valley of the Kings. Some of those tombs have exquisite paintings on the walls. Still cameras that don't use flash were allowed, which might open the way for digital stills, getting around the ban. Don't know. Back in 1992 I substituted video of a Berkeley library book with the same tomb picture I wasn't allowed to film in Egypt.

Seeing my video of Egypt would still be of help to you. I hope that can be managed.

There was so much to film without any restrictions in Egypt that you are overdoing these concerns. In 1992 all exteriors from ancient Egypt could be filmed, and every interior, including both temples at Abu Simbel, with the two exceptions already noted: Giza Pyramid interiors and the entire Valley of the Kings.

--------------------
David Mundstock

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jarvis:
thanks snoozin, why do you think they don't want you takeing photo's in the pyrimids?

1. to keep them mystrious?
2. it will hurt something?

Flash photography can possibly harm some of the paintings.
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com