EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » I need information on travel to Al Minya

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I need information on travel to Al Minya
Karena
Member # 9835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please can someone help me! I am travelling to Al Minya in April and would love some info on the best route getting there. l would like to know which is the nearest airport, (Cairo or Luxor)and I think I have to take the train to Al Minya. Is this correct? Can I pay for the train fare from the airport? any other information would be most helpful.
Posts: 200 | From: uk | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YOUNG TURK
Member # 9980

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for YOUNG TURK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karena,

Nearest airport is in Assiut. But it is c. 120km after Menya. I strongly recommend you take the train. That's what I usually do when I have to go to fieldwork in Menya. If you choose to go by car, you may be asked to join a convoy for security and lose plenty of time.

Transalp

--------------------
Turk living and working in Cairo for the past 2 years.

Posts: 23 | From: CAIRO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karena
Member # 9835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Transalp

Can I get a flight to Assuit from London. I am not driving, I will have to get the train, are the trains ok to travel on.
Karena

Posts: 200 | From: uk | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YOUNG TURK
Member # 9980

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for YOUNG TURK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Karena,

If you take EgyptAir, you could fly London-Cairo and then Cairo-Assiut. I think Assiut flights are only twice a week (Tuesday and Thursday).

Trains are OK. They are not the safest in the World and they have some big accidents in the past. However, the one with the 1st class should be OK. Make sure you take 1st class. It is not that expensive.

Transalp (changed name to "Young Turk")

--------------------

Posts: 23 | From: CAIRO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karena
Member # 9835

Thanks Young Turk for your help, I would definately go 1st class, Around 7 english pounds I believe. Can I get the train from Cairo.

Karena

YOUNG TURK
Member # 9980

Member Rated:
Should cost around that much. Yes, you can get the train from Cairo. You will need to go from the airport to the Ramses train station in downtown Cairo. It should take anywhere between 30-60 minutes. Make sure you plan to arrive there early given that Cairo traffic can be a nightmare sometimes.

By the way, why would you want to go to Menya, if you don't mind me asking?

--------------------

Karena
Member # 9835

You have been a great help Young Turk. I don't mind you asking at all. I am meeting my boyfriend's parents for the first time and I am meeting him at Al Minya.

K

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by karena:
You have been a great help Young Turk. I don't mind you asking at all. I am meeting my boyfriend's parents for the first time and I am meeting him at Al Minya.

K

Karena

If your boyfriend is any sort of a man worth this trip then he will meet you at Cairo airport and accompany you on your trip. I understand you are probably a capable independant woman but this is just not the way things are done in Egypt. A family does not leave a woman to travel alone by herself.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YOUNG TURK
Member # 9980

Member Rated:
Guys, I am not sure we should get into people's private affairs. Perhaps, even my asking of her reason for the visit was not necessary.

If she needs our advice, I am sure she knows she can ask. Let's leave it at that.

Young Turk

--------------------

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YOUNG TURK:
Guys, I am not sure we should get into people's private affairs. Perhaps, even my asking of her reason for the visit was not necessary.

If she needs our advice, I am sure she knows she can ask. Let's leave it at that.
Young Turk

LOL this is ES...you get the lot whether you want it or not [Razz]
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
margarita
Member # 9940

Icon 4 posted      Profile for margarita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karena what is your boyfriend's name if you don't mind me asking? You can email me if you like.

atexanmargarita@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Margarita

Posts: 116 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karena
Member # 9835

Penny for your information,it was my choice to meet my boyfriend whom I have know for some time in Al Menya, I have done a lot of travelling on my own and yes I am a very independent girl. And I don't remember asking for your advice into my private affairs!

Young Turk, once again thanks for all your help

K

Karena
Member # 9835

Margarita, I don't mind emailing you at all, can you please tell me why you want to know my boyfriends name, I/he has nothing to hide. I am not being rude but you obviously know someone who lives in Al Menya, what is his name?

Now come on girls all I am asking is for info on how to get around egypt, is that such a big deal!

K

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by karena:
Penny for your information,it was my choice to meet my boyfriend whom I have know for some time in Al Menya, I have done a lot of travelling on my own and yes I am a very independent girl. And I don't remember asking for your advice into my private affairs!

K

There in nothing wrong in being independant and I am not advising you on your private affairs. It just doesn't hurt to be aware that you are acting outside of the customs and conventions of a country if you are planning to make a long term relationship there. There are very good reasons why men are protective of the female members of the family in Egypt. Whilst for the most part travel is safe, the hassle for a woman alone is completely avoided if she is travelling in the care of a man. Good luck with your plans.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com