EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Research assistant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Research assistant?
amyr
Member # 9998

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I am going to be doing some research towards my Master's degree this summer in Egypt and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about how to find someone who could help me conduct a survey -- I don't speak Arabic very well so it would basically just be someone to accompany me to different places and translate. Preferably female, so that we could talk with some more traditional women easily. Let me know if you have any thoughts on this or how to find someone, or even any idea how much it might cost per hour or whatnot!
Thank you!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sohyla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When exactly will you be in Egypt?
Posts: 516 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am working on my master's degree, and was planning a trip to Cairo, either in March or July.
Posts: 478 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pandora
Member # 10146

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pandora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have a good friend who is doing his masters in arabic studies at american university...he is an american and fluent in arabic as his his algerian wife..i will get back to you on this after i get off work today..they can help with this...they know lots of people in cairo...

--------------------
life life long, for it is short...pandora

Posts: 98 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would like to apply to AUC as soon as I wrap up my master in public administration. I would like to major in islamic and arabic studies. How long did it take your friend to become fluent in Arabic. I am getting a late start, but I would like to master Arabic and French.
Posts: 478 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Khadija_Diagne:
i would like to apply to AUC as soon as I wrap up my master in public administration. I would like to major in islamic and arabic studies.

Assalamu alaykum Khadija,

I don't know if you have checked out the AUC prospectus yet, because although they do teach Arabic (the only place in Cairo whose Arabic course was recogised by universities outside Egypt), I don't believe that they do Islamic studies. From what I understand, AUC was set up as a Christian evangelical university, and although Muslims attend there, they don't got there for Islamic studies.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
wa alaykum assalamu
Thanks Newcomer for this very informative FYI.

[Eek!] I did not know that. All I know, is that I do not want to study Islam in the States, or the west for that matter. Any suggestion? I opt for just moving to Egypt, but I have since learned it wont be that easy.

Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asoom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
quote:
Originally posted by Khadija_Diagne:
i would like to apply to AUC as soon as I wrap up my master in public administration. I would like to major in islamic and arabic studies.

Assalamu alaykum Khadija,

I don't know if you have checked out the AUC prospectus yet, because although they do teach Arabic (the only place in Cairo whose Arabic course was recogised by universities outside Egypt), I don't believe that they do Islamic studies. From what I understand, AUC was set up as a Christian evangelical university, and although Muslims attend there, they don't got there for Islamic studies.

noooooooo, there is a certain dioplma called Islamic studies, it's much more samiliar to Middel Eastern Studies..
Posts: 968 | From: www | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pandora
Member # 10146

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pandora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my friend in egypt is doing his masters in middle eastern studies at AUC..he already has one from columbia university in the states..there are several schools in cairo that teach arabic and french..he has also studied both...it took about a year for him to achieve a decent fluency in arabic..he said it took leaving for the summer after studying and trying hard..after his brain relaxed he went back and it finally clicked for him..he speaks it very well now after a year and a half..he had already studied french and his wife is fluent in it which helps (algeria's language is french)what is your master's work in?

--------------------
life life long, for it is short...pandora

Posts: 98 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by pandora:
my friend in egypt is doing his masters in middle eastern studies at AUC..he already has one from columbia university in the states..there are several schools in cairo that teach arabic and french..he has also studied both...it took about a year for him to achieve a decent fluency in arabic..he said it took leaving for the summer after studying and trying hard..after his brain relaxed he went back and it finally clicked for him..he speaks it very well now after a year and a half..he had already studied french and his wife is fluent in it which helps (algeria's language is french)what is your master's work in?

My undergrad is in Business Administration, and studing for Master in Public Administration. My french in conversational, but far from fluent. Recenet events in my life have prompted me to go after my original dream, to be an scholar of interational relations. However, my passion for my faith has directed me to learning Arabic.
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Asooma:
noooooooo, there is a certain dioplma called Islamic studies, it's much more samiliar to Middel Eastern Studies..

So in a way I was right, it is not a course like you would get at Al-Azhar to study Islam...more of a cultural/academic program than an Islamic sciences program?
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
I am looking for cultural/academic

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com