EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » One day round trip to Luxor - is it worth it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: One day round trip to Luxor - is it worth it?
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello folks,

I am here contemplating taking my dear old mother to Cairo and since it must be terribly cold there at that tiem and she came in mostly beachwear, whether I should take her to Luxor for one day, for some strong esthetic experience and some warmth for her old bones.

We can probably at some later point make a longer and more thorough trip, and maybe stay with dear Jane, if have a financially happy period or if she for any nice, humanistic reason starts giving out 80% discounts for dear folks in ES [Smile] )

..but just to spice up the otherwise relatively monotonous stay in Sharm for nearly a month, and also Christmas tends to eat up all funds, you know, has any of you made a crash trip on this night train from Cairo and back again? What does it cost, return trip, and can you choose between classes if on tight budget, e.g. between sitting and sleeping ( I take night buses on Sharm sometimes anyway).

Or does anyone know any of these cheap central hostels in Luxor (there are usually some in every town in the world [Smile] )

Am just playing with the idea here..

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[
Hi Nevermind,

How have setteled to Egypt.
Waiting anxiously for somekind report of your life there?
I hope everything is fine.

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anneke
Member # 9815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anneke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll find prices of train tickets Cairo - Luxor on this website: www.seat61.com/Egypt.htm

Personally I think the journey is too long if you are planning to spend one day only.

Posts: 42 | From: Maadi, Cairo | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Mimmi, I am doing fine, although I do not feel very "settled" yet, just a little settled [Smile] .

We are still changing rental apartments, trying to find a one to feel really at home and settle down, and I am still waiting for time to start Arabic lessons. My mom is visiting now, since Christmas, and she is doing fine, yesterday went to the market alone to buy the kargiir, the kuzbara and other nice green stuff for salads, with help of a few english words and lot of finger talking [Smile] , and enjoyed it a lot. I like to spend most of my tim ehere and just go home for shopping and a whiff of civilizations, but I love the friendly atmosphere around here and how all aspects are so much simpler (people do not gather troubles into their lives here, i think [Smile] .

And thanks Anneke, we did not go to Luxor but Cairo was again nice for a change, maybe a bit tiring. I will post my epopoea separately, for all who have time (lots of time [Smile] to read.

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nevermind:
Thanks, Mimmi, I am doing fine, although I do not feel very "settled" yet, just a little settled [Smile] .

We are still changing rental apartments, trying to find a one to feel really at home and settle down, and I am still waiting for time to start Arabic lessons. My mom is visiting now, since Christmas, and she is doing fine, yesterday went to the market alone to buy the kargiir, the kuzbara and other nice green stuff for salads, with help of a few english words and lot of finger talking [Smile] , and enjoyed it a lot. I like to spend most of my tim ehere and just go home for shopping and a whiff of civilizations, but I love the friendly atmosphere around here and how all aspects are so much simpler (people do not gather troubles into their lives here, i think [Smile] .

And thanks Anneke, we did not go to Luxor but Cairo was again nice for a change, maybe a bit tiring. I will post my epopoea separately, for all who have time (lots of time [Smile] to read.

wow your views of egypt have completely changed, your earlier posts were always negative!
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

quote:
Originally posted by 7ayat- magnouna khales taralaly:
wow your views of egypt have completely changed, your earlier posts were always negative! [/QB]

Dear 7ayat etc etc, there is one very simple solution to this misinformation you are giving here - just go back to any of my posts and try find one (ONE) aspect where I am negative. I am a huge thumbkeeper for Egypt from the very start - or why would I come to a country I do not like, I can go to most any counry in the world.
Indeed, you shock me, 7.... Is it bad memory, reading between lines (based on YOUR and not my prefixed attitude, i.e. a definite wish to misread information so it would suit your beliefs of the way things and people are), or simple inconsideration for members here so you simply mix me up with somone here (but I do not remember almost anyone who'd be so very negative about Egypt, I think this place here is mostly for fans of Egypt, and some broken hearts or souls who just happened have bad experience)

Sorry for losing it so but I am always deeply astonished how easily some people take to form opinions of other people, and very often not even following so precicely who said what but simply believing they said it or maybe seeing it in dreams? I sincerely apologize if my person has ever haunted you, but I cannot control other persons hallucinations [Smile]

Go find some factual data from archives now, please, or otherwise your future credibility will be hurt.
And eat some bananas, it raises the sugar level in blood and thus the mood. You may gain a more positive view on people around you [Wink]

(The length of all this just describes how deeply shocked I am.)

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nevermind:
quote:
wow your views of egypt have completely changed, your earlier posts were always negative!

Dear 7ayat etc etc, there is one very simple solution to this misinformation you are giving here - just go back to any of my posts and try find one (ONE) aspect where I am negative. I am a huge thumbkeeper for Egypt from the very start - or why would I come to a country I do not like, I can go to most any counry in the world.
Indeed, you shock me, 7.... Is it bad memory, reading between lines (based on YOUR and not my prefixed attitude, i.e. a definite wish to misread information so it would suit your beliefs of the way things and people are), or simple inconsideration for members here so you simply mix me up with somone here (but I do not remember almost anyone who'd be so very negative about Egypt, I think this place here is mostly for fans of Egypt, and some broken hearts or souls who just happened have bad experience)

Sorry for losing it so but I am always deeply astonished how easily some people take to form opinions of other people, and very often not even following so precicely who said what but simply believing they said it or maybe seeing it in dreams? I sincerely apologize if my person has ever haunted you, but I cannot control other persons hallucinations [Smile]

Go find some factual data from archives now, please, or otherwise your future credibility will be hurt.
And eat some bananas, it raises the sugar level in blood and thus the mood. You may gain a more positive view on people around you [Wink]

(The length of all this just describes how deeply shocked I am.) [/QB]

umm actually i said that comment because i'm happy that you were speaking positively of egypt. and the fact that you were posting negative comments is not a figment of my imagination, i remember you and i had long arguments based on egypt and islam. and no i wont look them up, because its just childish, you can look them up if you want. plus you are an intelligent woman i'm sufre you remember our debates. and i really prefer chocolates to bananas for my mood levels, you should try the chocolates, they really work.
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[. [/qb][/QUOTE]wow your views of egypt have completely changed, your earlier posts were always negative! [/QB][/QUOTE]

7ayat. I think nevermind has been quite realistic in her opinions not so much negative she has been writing about whatshe has really experienced.
She has strong opinions but I think she is quite openminded also and I have always felt underneath everything she says or writes that she respects and loves Egypt.
In Egypt aswell as in all othere countries in the world there are good things and bad things.
And when some forigner points out the faults of your country it feels bad.
I enjoy reading nevermind's stories.

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mimmi:
[.

wow your views of egypt have completely changed, your earlier posts were always negative! [/QB][/QUOTE]

7ayat. I think nevermind has been quite realistic in her opinions not so much negative she has been writing about whatshe has really experienced.
She has strong opinions but I think she is quite openminded also and I have always felt underneath everything she says or writes that she respects and loves Egypt.
In Egypt aswell as in all othere countries in the world there are good things and bad things.
And when some forigner points out the faults of your country it feels bad.
I enjoy reading nevermind's stories. [/QB][/QUOTE]

hi mimi, i wasn't referring to her recent writings about egypt. i was talking about old arguments she and i used to get into. but it doesnt matter, we both have just relocated and are stressed. my comment was not meant to attack her, i'm sorry she took it this way

nevermind
Member # 6674

quote:
the fact that you were posting negative comments is not a figment of my imagination, i remember you and i had long arguments based on egypt and islam. and no i wont look them up, because its just childish, you can look them up if you want. plus you are an intelligent woman i'm sufre you remember our debates. and i really prefer chocolates to bananas for my mood levels, you should try the chocolates, they really work. [/QB]

But this is quite another thing, habibi.. That I have posted negative comments may have happened, and that I have posted negative comments about islam, definitely has happened because I tend to denounce brainwashing (esp of children) and not allowing people form their own free opinions. But this has nothing to do with EGYPT! Islam is religion and Egypt is country and they are two very different things that are in principle not dependent of each other, even if at present time islam determines a lot about the life here. I am not thinking about reigion here when I think of the country and its people. In any case any wise person would have thought long ago why it is so that these beautiful rich countries so near to the wealthy european economies and once the gems of the region, need to suffer so poor and sometimes dangerous life for your people now? Why you and not us, the ones who believe "wrongly"? Why are we so happy, so friendly, so patient? Why are you sticking to a wrong recipe?

AND I am naturally again speaking only of muslim people here and not of egyptians, which is again two different things, though some happen to be both.

Sorry for this is not really a religious thread, andalso I trying NOT to speak out on religion because one cannot win belief with arguments - belief is blind and does not want arguments because they disturb the peace of illusion [Smile] .

I am not, also, saying everything about islam is negative, there may be some good aspects, but in general, any rule systems that supress the free thinking cannot be positive for development. Religion is simply not different - it may help those who know the least and may indeed stray without outer guidance, but it also and very importantly holds back your best minds and thus your faster development. It holds back scientific development and new knowledge. It supresses the most important source of development - the imagination, the skills and the will of simple people to take initiative and start creating a better life around them. Instead, it coaxes them into silent obedience and hoping for.. a better afterlife (and there is no afterlife)

I just heard a story about an egyptian who wanted to become a dive master and had enormous trouble with the rescue exam because he had never got any lessons on anatomy at school so it all was totally new for him. Imagine growing up and being totally oblivious of how your body works!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com