EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Direct flights from Sharm to Europe (or back)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Direct flights from Sharm to Europe (or back)
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
has anyone taken direct SCHEDULED flights from Sharm or to Sharm? I mean, from or to Europe, not Cairo. I think there is the new British Airways route, but probably the price matches the name, and the readseaflights.com one which offers nice prices but of god knows what quality, and there should be something to Milan a.s.o. even.

I am just trying to find an alternative to having to take a long bus or expensive air trip to Cairo, just to get to any connecting airports for Estonia, both London or Milan or Fraknfurt would do fine. Because I cannot take the direct charters because have said here for more than 28 days (anyone diplomatic working to abolish this un-understandable rule will be proclaimed a national hero of Sinai, I am sure).

Web reviews about this readseaflights (Astraeus) are very mixed and I only have one life... [Frown]

Thankful if anyone has experience or knowledge to share, though I maybe try talk to some travel agents here, too.

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi nevermind:

I have used Astraus many times and they are much the same as any other Uk flight. In fact on their larger planes they are a great deal more comfortable than the Charter flights as they have more leg room. You certainly have no worries with them concerning safety. The usual complaint is inflight films not working and food is on a par with any other charter flight...crap! You are right about the new British Airways flight much more expensive that Astraus. If you can pick up a £69 plus taxes with Astraus then they are hard to beat for value for money.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, thanks Penny, a lot. Because the journey TO Tallinn from Sharm to Cairo to Prague and the 5 hours of waiting there you know is really sooo tedious esp. if taking the bus to Cairo to save at least some costs. And much more expensive when taking Egyptair to CAiro, while Estonian Air also flies to London very cheaply if one books early. They also suffer somewhat of recent cost-cutting policies (very stupid!), we use to remember fondly the first days of the airline when cheap champagne was served to everyone first thing on the board, but then what - for the present prices one can always take along an own shushi tray or something [Wink]

Plus, London is probably good for shopping in-between [Smile] )). Does anyone know what would be a sensible choice for spending 1-2 nights, near Gatwick or alternatively near shopping places and where one does not get lost yet? [Smile] Because I need to spend at least 1 night anyway, flights from Sharm get in too late for my connection.

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Penny.... Astraeus is perfectly ok for an airline.... have used them for Sharm - gatwick and Hurghada - gatwick.... no problems.... No entertainment on the Hurghada flights, but for that price.... who cares?? [Smile]
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

quote:
Originally posted by Samia:
I agree with Penny.... Astraeus is perfectly ok for an airline.... have used them for Sharm - gatwick and Hurghada - gatwick.... no problems.... No entertainment on the Hurghada flights, but for that price.... who cares?? [Smile]

Heh, entertainment is scarce on nordic airlines anyway except I remember once Finnair was listed as the airline with the best wines [Smile] )) and they are never stingy with the small bottles.

I am mostly concerned with safety because it seems the Astraeus flies with some terribly old aircraft? A model of Boeing that has not been doing so very well throughout history on safety lists, and some Airbuses which on the one hand are a more safe type of aircraft for some reason I have understood (very rarely listed on crash lists or similar) but that are even older or something?

Sorry for these doubts.

bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used Astraeus and I'm still alive.... what more can I say?
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samaka
Member # 9228

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks nevermind - I am flying with Astraeus in 2 weeks time to Gatwick. I wondered why the flight was so cheap?!! [Eek!]
Posts: 588 | From: an oasis near the pyramids | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Samakwish.... dont take any notice of nevermind!!! Nevermind has never flown with Astraeus... Penny and I both have..... we're both here to tell the tale!!
Seriously, when I flew back from Sharm, I was very impressed.. more so than with many other scheduled flights....you'll not have any problems, I'm sure!!!

nevermind
Member # 6674

Easy on me, please, I am here for some moral support also!! Just that I hoped to hear that they are using their more modern Boeings to fly to Sharm (I understood they have some) but it seems that the dear optimistic travellers here were not concerned enough to pay notice [Smile]
MousseT
Member # 9226

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MousseT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are good connections from Milano Malpensa with Neos and Livingstone (part of Lauda Air).
They fly to Sharm, Hurghada and Marsa Alam.
Pls. check out their sites.
Have a good flight! [Smile]

http://www.neosair.it/voli2.php?img=MENU_PAESI.jpg&menu=sc2

http://www.lauda.it/html/orario.asp

Posts: 285 | From: Milano, Italy | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MousseT
Member # 9226

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MousseT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to say I flew with Livingstone and it is extremely confortable. [Smile] Have fun!
Posts: 285 | From: Milano, Italy | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

quote:
Originally posted by MousseT:
There are good connections from Milano Malpensa with Neos and Livingstone (part of Lauda Air).
They fly to Sharm, Hurghada and Marsa Alam.

Lauda Air???? Is it the remains of the famous Austrian airline? I've heard legends of that one! e.g. one friend once told me that he happened to admire the design of their coffee cups on board (white fayance of nice curvy shape) and asked if he can bag the two he and his friend were using or buy them or something. At which the stewardesses brought him 2 more free of charge because 4 cups is a better set than 2 they said. That's what I call marketing.

But I think they finished with bankruptcy or nearly? in the style of the Richard Branson who I read somewhere had once answered to the question: how to become a millionaire, with: be a billionaire and then buy an airline.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com