EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Egyptian Children and Pens

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egyptian Children and Pens
amiraah
Member # 10079

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amiraah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that Egyptian children ask for pens from tourists. Is this true? Does this happen often? If yes, what kind of pens do they like? Why pens?
Posts: 10 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pens are for school work. Very expensive for most families in Egypt.

I would think any type of pen would to, but make sure that these pens won't leak. I know the ball point pens aren't the sturdiest if made in Egypt.

Try pink, purple and green pens. Something unusual.

Personally I have a few sets of "Hello Kitty" stationary sets waiting to board a plane for my daughter and my nieces.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stopped outside the Etap Hotel, Luxor, to put my camera back inside my handbag.
A Policeman came over and said pen in Arabic to me.
It so happpened I had boughts lots of cheap pens from £1 shop, shiny holographic pens. He looked so happy when I gave him a pen, but only in exchange for me taking his photo which he didnt seem too pleased with but I threatened to take the pen back.
I got my photo.

Posts: 266 | From: Scotland, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wise_woman:
I stopped outside the Etap Hotel, Luxor, to put my camera back inside my handbag.
A Policeman came over and said pen in Arabic to me.
It so happpened I had boughts lots of cheap pens from £1 shop, shiny holographic pens. He looked so happy when I gave him a pen, but only in exchange for me taking his photo which he didnt seem too pleased with but I threatened to take the pen back.
I got my photo.

you know there are laws against photographing service men or officers?

But now I am seriously considering filling a 30 gallon bin in my shipping container with pens! I'll have a decade of bakeesh!

By the way, why hasn't anyone invested in the stationary and writing utensil industry? There seems to be an amazing need for it!

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pandora
Member # 10146

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pandora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i gave pens to children in cairo, minya, luxor, and aswan..they all asked for them and were happy when they got them..i didn't ask for anything in return...i noticed while in minya that people buy a few sheets of paper at a time to write on from the little markets...and we all know t.p. is a premium in egypt..

--------------------
life life long, for it is short...pandora

Posts: 98 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i remember this phenomenon in luxor, and i couldn't understand why bcs nobody in cairo ever asked for them. pens are not expensive in egypt. the only answer i got was it was 'a trend' for kids to see what kind of foreign pens they got from the tourists (rather than any monetary value). didn't think that it was still the trend 6 yrs later.
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com