EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Luxor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Luxor
Iberis
Member # 10327

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iberis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I'm British but live in Luxor. If anyone needs information or advice about future holidays here I would be very happy to help. It's a great place with very friendly people but can seem rather daunting for a first time visitor. It's a very different world & culture but life is, [ in my opinion ] much nicer & richer, [in a personal sense ]. Hope I can be of some help.
Posts: 14 | From: Luxor | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbapapa
Member # 10031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbapapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the forum Iberis!
For how long have you been living in Luxor, if I may ask?
Thanks for offering your help!

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iberis
Member # 10327

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iberis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Barpapa,
Thanks for the welcome note. Been here almost a year now & loving it!!

Posts: 14 | From: Luxor | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luxor is a wonderful place to visit and an even better place to stay. Fortunately there are people on forums like this one and others offering help and advice on all aspects of the town.

I am glad that you are loving living here, most of us think ourselves blessed.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
needsomeone
Member # 9046

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for needsomeone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Iberis:
Hi, I'm British but live in Luxor. If anyone needs information or advice about future holidays here I would be very happy to help. It's a great place with very friendly people but can seem rather daunting for a first time visitor. It's a very different world & culture but life is, [ in my opinion ] much nicer & richer, [in a personal sense ]. Hope I can be of some help.

Hello,

I'm Ali.

I have lived in Luxor all my life. If anyone needs different kind of advice I would be more than happy to help [Cool]

back to the drawing board

[Big Grin]

Posts: 104 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello

Maybe this is a good thread to ask?
I have friends visiting Luxor in March and as they want to spend most of their time seeing the sites I have advised them to stay in a hotel rather than be herded around on the cruises.

Does anyone have any advice as to how we could secure a good reliable personal guide so they can avoid the usual package type trips and see things at their leisure and not be taken on the usual perfume, papyrus shop scams.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimbo57
Member # 9486

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimbo57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Iberis
Nice to see you again i know you will help people.
Hope you ok
See u soon xxx

Posts: 68 | From: england | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iberis
Member # 10327

Rate Member
Hi Kimbo,
I'm really well & weather is great here now, a lot, lot warmer than when you were here. Was planning on going back to UK in July but if you're here then maybe I'll leave it till later. Hope you're ok, will be in touch soon.

Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Penny
Its easy to do the sights without having to go with the tour groups. There are a few good travel agents along the Corniche near the Winter Palace who could provide guides.
But it is so much more fun to organise a taxi, take a good guide book, and take in the wealth of history at leisure.
If your friends want an Egyptology guide, they will have to pay a fair bit for it. And the local guides are often glorified taxi drivers.
How long are your friends there and do they just want to see the basics or are they really into the history?
You could also pm Jane Akshar, I know she does some guiding herself, and her knowledge is immense.

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shareen is right a good guide does cost money but if you haven't much knowledge then they can so increase your enjoyment. I try and combine the sites with a bit of local culture.

Anyway sent you a PM

thanks for vote of confidence Shareen, thats another beer I owe you [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
needsomeone
Member # 9046

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for needsomeone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
Shareen is right

thanks for vote of confidence Shareen, thats another beer I owe you [Big Grin]

She deserves more than a beer

how about free accommodation for one week [Big Grin]

Posts: 104 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol good idea needsomeone!

How about it Jane? May is already organised, but I might need a bed towards the end of the year!

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would give Shareen free accommodation for the rest of her life and she knows it.

She was the person who gave me confidence to 'try it and see', there is another English expresion [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
needsomeone
Member # 9046

Member Rated:
Do you mean Expression ? [Big Grin]

take care girls,

Good luck Iberis

Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Oh oh...... you've been and gone and done it now Jane! Hmmmm now where did I bookmark that cheap flights website?
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.justtheflight.co.uk/

Get booking Shareen

Thanks for all your help everyone

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
www.charterflights.co.uk just do it [Big Grin]

--------------------

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another good site to try is www.Cheapflights.com

They have some very good late deals.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Will you lot stop encouraging me to take even more time off work???
Just 2 months to wait now, and you are making me desperate to make it earlier! Dont think my boss would approve!

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Shareen, you know you want to be here. It is snowing in the UK but it touched 100 F here today. Tonight is cool with a slight breeze. It is divine. Twist your boss's arm. [Smile]
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
I do! I do!
LL..... I was in London today, had to be up at 4am..... and left London at 4pm..... straight into rush hour traffic.... its cold, its snowing and I am cold and tired!
But..... only 8 weeks to go! Its not so bad really... I can wait..... I think :S

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
The weeks will pass quickly and it will still be warm here, the sun will still be shining and it will still be waiting for you as always. [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
Everything for me - www.Luxor4me.com

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Penny, your friends were delightful and it was a pleasure to show them around Luxor. I think they have fallen under its spell because they say they are coming back again as soon as they can. [Smile]
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Yes Penny I second that, a deightful family to take round

--------------------

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Penny and I have been friends for a very long time and although we have never met I was pleased to be able to do something to help her. I sat with her friends in a restaurant on the west bank and talked to her on the phone for the first time - she is as delightful as her friends are.

I was fortunate to spend several days with them covering most of the East and West Bank sites including Karnak and my favourite temple the Medinet Habu. Today I have arranged for them to go to the Valley of the Kings but for business reasons I was not able to accompany them. They can do it on their own easily though now that transport has been put on for them. I took them around for the love of it, not for business and enjoyed every minute of it.

For anyone visiting Luxor, it is easy to get around places by yourself and Kent Week's Guide is better than any book or Tourist Guide that I have ever come acoss. Most tour companies charge an extorniate amount for their services, you can save that money for other things. Luxor is small and places are easy to find.

needsomeone
Member # 9046

Member Rated:
Excellent feedback!

where's my beer? [Big Grin]

Iberis
Member # 10327

Rate Member
Hi all , my eldest son visited for the first time last week & like us all he has fallen in love with Luxor, it's history & it's friendly people. He can't wait to get back & stay for much longer next time. Luxorlover, my favourite temple is Medinet Habou too. It's a real pity many big tour companies don't mention it in their itinerary.
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
I am very grateful LL and Akshar for all the help my friends had in Luxor. They have had a wonderful time and yes want to come back soon.

I have to admit to having enjoyed driving my husband up the wall by spending hours on the phone from Sharm to Luxor. Payback time for all his mobile phone calls [Smile] [Smile]

Thanks again and I am really going to have to head down that way soon as I am so jealous of all the wonderful stories I have heard.

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
You must come soon, you have been threatening for so long and still haven't made it. It is the best place in Egypt IMHO and I love to take people round and show it to them.

--------------------

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Penny if you do ever make it then you can stay with me if I am here. I have ample room. Your friends leave tomorrow and I am sure that it will not be long before they are back here again.

For others that want to visit Luxor - it is being renovated at the moment which has meant that the streets are up and there is scaffolding everywhere as buildings are being repainted. However, when it is finished Luxor will be cleaner and brighter and it will have been worth the effort. Please do not let the disruption spoil your holiday in any way.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com