EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » is Egypt disabled friendly?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: is Egypt disabled friendly?
wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm writing on behalf of a work colleague.
She is only 30, has arthritis and can only walk short distances with a walking cane and sometimes uses a wheelchair with her husband pushing it.

She would love to visit Egypt and has been looking at Sharm el Sheikh in particular.
I've never been to Sharm.

She'd like me to ask you guys if Sharm is disabled friendly?
are there any particular hotels that would be more suitable for her?
what about the tourist areas? would they be a problem for her?
She doesnt want to be stuck in her hotel room.

I dont think Luxor or Cairo would be suitable for her.

Thank you.

Posts: 266 | From: Scotland, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Wise woman

I think Sharm would be perfect if she stays in the Naama bay area. The town would be easy access for wheel chairs as its all level paving and closed to traffic. Most hotels I have seen have ramps into the front entrance. I will make a point of looking a bit more closely in this area in the next fews days and give you some names now its in my mind. The walk way along the beach would be so nice for her in the evening. The dry weather is also so good for any arthritic problems.

Is she Ok getting off the plane? you do have to get off via a stairway.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the quick reply, Penny.

Her husband is very strong and she's so light, I'd imagine he would carry her down the steps, I dont see anyone having a problem with that.

I'd appreciate any more info you can offer.

I thought about her doing a Nile Cruise, for me part of the enjoyment of the cruise is the scenery as you float down the Nile. I dont think she could do many excursions as it seems to be rough gravelly ground.

Thanks.

Posts: 266 | From: Scotland, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pondered
Member # 5222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pondered     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya, a couple of years ago I went on a Nile cruise with my family, and there was a lady on the cruise with the same problem as your work colleague. The cruise and tours were with Discover Egypt, they had a guy who helped this lady, pushed her in the chair (which was brought to all the sites we went to, bar a couple), helped her when she was walking with her cane over rough ground, and just generally looked after all her needs when visiting the sites, really impressive. On one of the last evenings, don't know if was cause of the heat or what, but she even managed to do a short belly dance (part of competition we had on the boat!). Worth asking around the Nile tour companies if they offer a service like this....
Posts: 16 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a disabled family memeber here, at least in cairo, it is NOT disabled friendly at all.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rawy
Member # 10355

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rawy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi, really for her will be sharm is perfect. be sure that she will be and her husband is 100 ok,, all hotels have specials for wheelchairs. 100 % is the right choice

--------------------
rawy

Posts: 66 | From: ukraine | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rawy:
hi, really for her will be sharm is perfect. be sure that she will be and her husband is 100 ok,, all hotels have specials for wheelchairs. 100 % is the right choice

Yes have done a check round and all those hotels that front onto Namma bay on the side of the sea would be fine. Most now have a barrier built at the front since the bomb so cars can't drive up but that should not be a problem if her husband can lift her. There are always willing hands to help out. The walkways to the sea are all on the level as is the town.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your replies.

Thanks Penny.

Mr Egypt
Member # 10436

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr Egypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you Penny. check Jolie Ville Movenpick, I worked there and I think it is a good hotel for her and any other would be good too. I am sure she will enjoy her stay in Sharm as it is the perfect place for her like you said Penny.
Posts: 1201 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahmedmagdy
Member # 10691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahmedmagdy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello im ahmed from egypt im always travel with
sharm and i have friends alot and if u wanna be my friend i will be happy and i will help u when u come egypt i have 24 old and i hope we will be friends oky my email
ramyhetler@hotmail.com and my namber mobail 0124696691 bye see u

Posts: 19 | From: egypt | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com