EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » IS LUXOR ENDANGERED?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IS LUXOR ENDANGERED?
margarita
Member # 9940

Icon 1 posted      Profile for margarita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12115727/site/newsweek/
Posts: 116 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a lot of work going on in Luxor Temple at the moment to complete a drainage project which should hopefully solve the problem. Thousands of gallons of water are now being pumped daily from beneath the temple. It is not only Luxor Temple that is at risk. Some of the temples on the west bank, although further from the river, are at risk from rising water levels due to the increased watering necessary for intensely farmed land.
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wrote a feature story on this some time ago. http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/waterdamage.htm It distresses me as I go round the monuments how many of them are going. The foundation blocks of front pylon at the Ramaseum are reverting to sand. The harem palace at Habu has a doorway that has almost completely gone. At Seti I temple there is an inscription eroding a little more every time I go there. In fact almost everywhere I go has issues.

The problem is limited resources and funds to preserve and of course no actual long term solution to the rising water table. Amazingly these sites are not world heritage ones.

At the lecture given about the project at karnak and luxor Ted Brock was asked what caused the problem and had to admit he didn't know. It seemed a little foolish not to have sorted that out before attempting to correct it.

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can see photos of the renovation work that is going on in Luxor and at Luxor Temple on the following link.

http://www.luxor4u.com/forum/weblog.php?w=37

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com