EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Egypt to excavate Roman city submerged in sea

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egypt to excavate Roman city submerged in sea
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt to excavate Roman city submerged in sea

May 22 2006 at 07:11PM

Cairo - The Egyptian authorities have given the go ahead for the underwater exploration of what appears to be a Roman city submerged in the Mediterranean, Egypt's top archaeologist said on Monday.

Zahi Hawass said in a statement that an excavation team had found the ruins of the Roman city 35km east of the Suez Canal on Egypt's north coast.

Archaeologists had found buildings, bathrooms, ruins of a Roman fortress, ancient coins, bronze vases and pieces of pottery that all date back to the Roman era, the statement said. Egypt's Roman era lasted from 30 BC to 337 AD.

The excavation team also found four bridges that belonged to a submerged castle, part of which had been discovered on the Mediterranean coastline in 1910.

The statement said evidence indicated that part of the site was on the coast and part of it submerged in the sea. The area marked Egypt's eastern border during the Roman era.

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=588&art_id=qw1148310183347B221

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshkiA
Member # 10944

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshkiA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow that's so awsome. I would love to see pictures, wonder if they will post some...
Seems strange to me that it wasn't "discovered" before now, with all the technology we have these days. lol
Thanx for the info. [Razz]

Posts: 177 | From: Alexandria,Egypt / Missouri,USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been reading about the possibility and planning for "undersea tourism". Possibily this excavation with be the start of that.

But the waves in Alex are exceedingly strong, and having regular dive groups could destroy some of the antiquities. I am sure UNESCO has had their hands in this project from the get go. Might explain why the Antiquities Department of Egypt is demanding so many artifacts back. "Give us our artifacts we will comply with UNESCOs demands concerning undersea tourism."

Its not implicitly implied, but thats the gist I get from it.

--------------------
Don't freak out, sonomod, Organized Crime, whatever. If I annoy you its me!

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com